Another tricky question

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have an item that gives me a bonus to all defenses until I make an attack. I play a passive warlord/Shaman who only grants attacks with multiple dailies/encounters and Spirit infusion. I rarely ever attack. However the Spirit infusion power is a Shaman attack power. But the target of Spirit infusion is my ally so I am really not attacking. Is this legit?
Using an attack power count as making an attack if you make an attack roll or if the power has a target.

RC 308 Attack: An attack roll and its effects, including any damage rolls. The word “attack” is sometimes used as shorthand for “attack power.” Some attack powers include multiple attacks, and some powers, such as magic missile, are designated as attacks yet lack attack rolls (using such a power counts as making an attack if the power has a target).

Which is odd, because technically the Warlord power Direct the Strike causes you to attack your ally.  Same goes for Spirit Infusion.

I completely agree that it doesn't make sense, which is why I really, really wish the RC hadn't muddled the attack definition by adding in a second, idendical definition for the same word, but what can you do.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
They did it for Magic Missile and other Autodamage Attack Powers.

I agree its akward. It should instead have said; 

''using such a power counts as making an attack if the power has a target and you deal damage to it'' 

I just thought of something.

A Warlord who is Marked is subject to punishment when he uses Direct the Strike.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I have an item that gives me a bonus to all defenses until I make an attack. I play a passive warlord/Shaman who only grants attacks with multiple dailies/encounters and Spirit infusion. I rarely ever attack. However the Spirit infusion power is a Shaman attack power. But the target of Spirit infusion is my ally so I am really not attacking. Is this legit?

These are one of those questions, DM and Players should come to an answer to using good sense and keeping the "balance".  

There isn't enough space in the library to fill rules for everything.  Heck even Laws have to be interpreted in the Courts because it's impossible to write everything for every situation.

Ask your DM.

Heck even Laws have to be interpreted in the Courts because it's impossible to write everything for every situation.

Not strictly true, there was an effort to create an entire "legal language" that was strictly logical. It exists, but is not used. It does have a very straight forward property of being able to take input, compare to the law, and determine if the law was broken or not, and account for standard special circumstances (duress, Good Samaritan exceptions, etc.,).

Though in this case the answer is explciit in the books so even if your premise were correct that you can't fit every scenario of a finite system inside the rules for the finite system (which is inherently incorrect, btw), it wouldn't apply here, so telling him to ask his DM is silly.
So would spirit infusion be used through an implement? If so I can find multiple implements with effects that happen when I make an attack with them. Also can this atack hit, it would seem it cannot hit.
So would spirit infusion be used through an implement? If so I can find multiple implements with effects that happen when I make an attack with them. Also can this atack hit, it would seem it cannot hit.

The power doesn't have the implement keyword so, no, you can't use it through an implement. In any case you wouldn't be able to use it through more than ONE implement. It's not like you can cast your fireball through both your magic staff and your magic orb at the same time, or attack with a melee basic attack using both your axe and your sword at the same time.

And no, the attack can't hit (it can't miss, either).

Sign In to post comments