Help my Izzet Deck!

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
I threw this together for fun to play against my buds, but I'm looking now to try to improve it to the point to where I can try it out at FNM.  I'm just looking for any thoughts on how to improve it, except I'm not going to buy Snapcaster Mage, Bonfire of the Damned, or any other card that's going to cost more than $20 alone for it.

3x Nivmagus Elemental
3x Guttersnipe
3x Goblin Electromancer
1x Talrand, Sky Summoner
1x Thundermaw Hellkite

4x Izzet Charm
3x Cancel
1x Syncopate
1x Unsummon

3x Faithless Looting

11x Burn Spells (Searing Spear, Chandra's Fury, Electrickery, whatever I had available)

2x Izzet Keyrune

Appropriate lands (with one Desolate Lighthouse mixed in, I believe).

Anyway - is there a way I can go about better focusing this?  Should I scrap any cards or make sure to include any others?  I know Devil's Play is probably a must.

Also, while I'm at it, quick rule question:  Can I cast a spell without it having a legal target, but sacrifice it to Nivmagus Elemental anyway?  Thanks!
I'll start by answering you last question: No. Any spell must have a legal target to be cast, so no casting counters onto an empty stack to feed your elemental :-p.

As for this particular archetype: It ain't easy. There are a couple tough roadblocks you have to be prepared to beat, and the elemental in particular opens you up to gross 2,3, even 4-for-1's. It's also easy to justify adding in spells as elemental food, and that's just wrong.

Looking at your creatures, you want to have 4 of your mains: Nivmagus, Snipe and Electromancer (and depending on your spell selection, Mancer may be replaceable by Augur of Bolas). Arguments can be made for Blistercoil Weird, but he's not terribly impressive.

Elemental fits in a very awkward spot, as it looks like an aggressive creature, but it demands significant resources. Also, you should never feed it a card that can actually do something beneficial for you (unless you are playing it like a combo deck, or you can feed it enough spells to outright kill the opponent). Always be prepared to protect it, as this thing can draw removal very, very easily.

Finally, avoid including any expensive instants/sorceries, even with electromancer. I wouldn't go above 3 mana; 1 mana is idea. It will give you a higher critical mass density when it comes time to abuse elemental/snipe/talrand.

Other than that, just keep testing. This deck is meta dependant, so wether you have the right mix of counters/burn is largely related to whats being played. 
Thanks, good tips!

I've liked Nivmagus a ton playing against my friends - but I haven't play-tested it against anyone else.  He's just extremely versatile, and is in the very worst cast a 1/2 body for as cheap as possible.

I am wondering if there are any particular combos I should be going for or anything...  I do like the Augur of Bolas suggestion - I just don't know if I have room for him, because with this deck, I really want to avoid throwing in more creatures than I'm using.  Maxing out the main 3 at 4x each already pushes it...
It is currently quite easy to add creatures without adding creatures. Just use Talrand's Invocation or Krenko's Command. Maybe instead of some of your weaker burn cards.
Yeah - I was thinking about those spells also.  I think I have a couple of Increasing Vengeance currently in there, too, which could play well...  Let's say 1 electromancer and 1 keyrune have made play - that makes copying an invocation for 4 2/2 flyers feasible for turn 4.
12-16 creatures is a fine place to aim for. I don't think I would include both augur and mancer, only one. If your final build has more 1-2 cost spells, then augur is a better fit, since mancer won't be doing nearly as much work.

As far as combos with the elemental, well, there really aren't any in the current sets. cards like Gitaxian Probe would have been PERFECT, but those rotated out. Instead, you are better off playing lots of cheap answer spells that can double as 2 +1/+1 counters if they aren't relevant.

Also, what Rezzahan said: if the meta allows for it, Krenko's command is a very synergistic choice, as it nets you triggers for snipe and talrand, and gives you additional bodies without sacrificing spell count.
Also wondering if Think Twice belongs in here...
Finally, avoid including any expensive instants/sorceries, even with electromancer. I wouldn't go above 3 mana; 1 mana is ideal.

But 1-mana spells don't get any benefit from Goblin Electromancer. I think the sweet spot is and . For the same reason, I think should be avoided (and and , if they exist as options).

Yeah, Increasing Vengeance is the only one I've got running currently... Are there any good controls spells that cost 1B/1R, other than searing spear?

EDIT:  Cyclonic Rift looks like a winner... 
So, basically, these are all cards to consider for my list, now:

Certain:

Possible:
[deck]
1x Thundermaw Hellkite
1x Augor of Bolas
1x Izzet Charm
1x Cancel
1x Dissipate
1x Syncopate
1x Rewind
1x Unsummon
1x Faithless Looting
1x Searing Spear
1x Pillar of Flame
1x Devil's Play
1x Flames of the Firebrand
1x Mizzium Mortars
1x Izzet Keyrune
1x Desperate Ravings
1x Devil's Play
1x Think Twice
1x Krenko's Command
1x Talrand's Invocation
1x Runechanter's Pike
1x Cyclonic Rift
[/deck]

So yeah, that's a lot of choices  =\  Apologize for that mess...  I'll just try to come up with a list and see if there aren't improvements from there.
Yeah, Increasing Vengeance is the only one I've got running currently... Are there any good controls spells that cost 1B/1R, other than searing spear?

EDIT:  Cyclonic Rift looks like a winner... 

I'm currently using Syncopate, but I'm open to other ideas. I may try Cyclonic Rift. The reason I like both Syncopate and Cyclonic Rift is that they benefit from the occasions when you have two Goblin Electromancer on the battlefield.

Yeah - Cyclonic Rift's overload is probably the best board-wiping card that can fit into this deck, as far as I can tell...

Anyway, here is a potential build, as of now (sans lands):

I'd like to trim this by 1 card to get it to 36 - but I also really feel like both Think Twice and Desperate Ravings belong.  How to make room?  =\

P.S.  I think Krenko, Mob Boss makes an awesome sideboard for this, just in case I'm not playing a deck with much/any removal.
I'm doing a guttersnipe too, here's my build.

x4 Nivmagus Elemental
x4 Guttersnipe
x2 Talrand, Sky Summoner
x2 Thundermaw Hellkite

Spells:
x2 Dissipate
x2 Unsummon
x4 Searing Spear
x4 Pillar of Flame
x4 Essence Scatter
x4 Think Twice
x4 Izzet Charm

Lands:
x2 Desolate Lighthouse
x4 Sulfur Falls
x4 Steam Vents
Islands
Mountains

Now here's the reason behind some of my choices.
1. Nivmagus, better body than a delver which I've seen some people want to use including myself. Mainly because Nivmagus is a 1/2 body off the bat and can't be tragic slipped on T1. With Nivmagus you can also bait out spells early on if someone tries to pillar of flame, you can cast a spell exile it and now you're a 3/4 and don't die to the pillar, or a searing spear.

2. Thundermaw Hellkite, I feel like this card is a MUST because if you get to a later game and all your guttersnipes have been killed you can still top deck a thundermaw hellkite and potentially swing for that last bit of damage and it's unblockable. Losing your guttersnipe/talrand is a big hit to this deck and you need a plan b.

3. The spells are ever changing at the moment, I can't quite decide if I want more draw/counters/bounce or just solid burn. But other than dissipate I'm keeping my spell costs 2CMC or less. And for this I feel like Electromancer is just not that good of a body it's a serious burn target and it doesn't have much to block that's profitable. I deem it better to have another instant and the 2 thundermaws and 1 extra talrand

----------------

Cards I've debated on using in place of certain creatures.

1. Augur of Bolas (in place of nivmagus) - just a really solid blocker early on and has a relevant ability.
2. Fog Bank (in place of nivmagus) - solid wall to stall the game early on.
3. Niv-Mizzet Draco Genius (thundermaw hellkite) - doesn't do the same thing I'd be doing with thundermaw but it would fit so well here. It's a 5/5 flyer and each turn you can deal 3+ unblockable damage to creature or player, and if it's player you can draw 3 cards and even 4 if you manage to swing in and hit for 5 more damage.
Yeah, similar build.  I'm going with Electromancter's, which makes some spells more practical - like the Cyclonic Rift vs your Unsummon, and so on...

I think i like your idea of main-boarding the essence scatter with the dispels on the sideboard, though, so I might change my counterspells to work that idea in...

But yeah, my main problem now is fitting in those Think Twice and/or Desperate Ravings - I need some flashback in this deck pretty badly!
Yeah, similar build.  I'm going with Electromancter's, which makes some spells more practical - like the Cyclonic Rift vs your Unsummon, and so on...

I think i like your idea of main-boarding the essence scatter with the dispels on the sideboard, though, so I might change my counterspells to work that idea in...

But yeah, my main problem now is fitting in those Think Twice and/or Desperate Ravings - I need some flashback in this deck pretty badly!

I added in some reasoning behind some of my choices.
Might as well post my list here as well, for reference:

As you can see, there are a lot of experimental 1-ofs and 2-ofs that may get emancipated from my list in the process of refining it. 
I'll probably end up adding in some Pillar of Flame, and look to remove Brimstone Volley, Reforge the Soul, perhaps Izzet Charm. I originally started with 4x Delver of Secrets but got so sick of topdecking him that I slowly phased them out. 
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Now here's the reason behind some of my choices.

I really like how you explained your choices. Bravo!

Your autocarding, however, is not working properly. It looks like you've pasted in links to gatherer (?). Instead, just use the [deck] and [/deck] tags around your deck list.

gonna be honest here, If i was playing a full playset of guttersnipes and electromancers, I wouldn't be able to talk myself out of running playsets of desperate ravings and think twice. Synergy is just too good there.
Guttersnipe is SUCH a big target for removal. 

It's a weird dynamic playing with him. You can play a bunch of none creature spells and when he finally comes out turn 3 the opponent has all his removal saved up just for him. 

Or you pack in some creatures at the low end and that lowers your spell count so when he finally comes out you have less spells to trigger him with. That can be remedied a bit though with flashback and the like.

@PandamanX64, the playset of both doesn't work too well. I tried it a bit. They're cheaper than him so many times you play them before he's even on the table. Sure, you can flash them back later but putting in all that draw means you have less room for answers to the opponent right? If you have an electromancer on the field they become even cheaper and you end up playing more to try and find the Guttersnipe. I think Izzet Charm might be more versatile here because of the 2 other options. Sure it doesn't get you card advantage and isn't reduced by the mancer but it can help you remove a creature and is still an instant.

It's just a weird dynamic.

The best idea i had was putting Krenko's Command and maybe Talrand's Summoning for tokens and chump blocks. The summoning is pretty good on it's own and with the electromancer it gets even better and doesn't depend on guttersnipe so much.

Let me know how it goes.

@ SSpidey: I'll be honest. I have an unhealthy addiction to playing flashback draw spells that gain card advantage. But as far as actual explanations go:

You don't care when you play draw spells. You play it draw-go ish. you'll either burn a creature/ counter on their turn, or play a draw spell. More draw means you can get away with running less answers, because you can dig to them faster.

I like the idea of krenko's command, but not so much talrand's summoning. 4 mana just feels...slow. I can barely stand talrand himself in here. if only talrand's summoning was an instant....ah well.

Hey Weisse,

Your build looks interesting. I like the variety. How have you been doing with it?

Finally, avoid including any expensive instants/sorceries, even with electromancer. I wouldn't go above 3 mana; 1 mana is ideal.

But 1-mana spells don't get any benefit from Goblin Electromancer. I think the sweet spot is and . For the same reason, I think should be avoided (and and , if they exist as options).

Yeah, I should have made the note there regarding electromancer, but i'll say it again: his inclusion is really dependant on the cost of spells you include. I don't ever build decks with him in mind, instead, I look at my spell list and ask if electromancer would be beneficial.

Thanks for catching that though, it was a bit confusing. 
I just want to chime in on the guttersnipe connundrum.

He is a bit weird, in that you make every removal spell they have in hand live, and he is such a good target that they will knee-jerk nuke him, but I don't think running him out on turn 3 is the best play. Rather, I'd wait till t5 when you can protect him. It makes the deck a bit slower, but you are guaranteed to get at least one spell of value out of him, which is great.

If you stick an electromancer t2 or t3, then you can play snipe t4 and still have negate or syncopate mana up. 
Ok, so I playtested a deck with a buddy who was just playing a RDW deck (Vexing Devil, Ash Zealot, burn, etc).  I played about 50/50 with him.  This was my list:

Winning cards in these games ended up being the Talrand's Invocation and Guttersnipe.  The Invocation is nice because it takes more than one Searing Spear to wipe out the effect of the card, and it still works synergistically with all of the creatures.  The Izzet Keyrunes rarely did much useful, but because I don't have many of the expensive dual lands to work with, they did allow me to cast a few blue spells that I couldn't have otherwise casted.  In the past, Nivmagus was pretty sharp, but I believe that the deck I'd used before had more flashback opportunities....  So, this deck probably needs more flashback, but otherwise, still not sure about it.  It's tough to mix in Think Twice, but it might be worth it, even if it means watering down one part of the deck.  Snapcaster Mage could clearly fit in and replace some creature spells, but he's expensive.  Without him, I feel I just need to find more flashback.

There is another thread using 

guttersnipe + deathrite shaman

The shaman helps make your early sorceries/instants useful while the guttersnipe is waiting to come out. If they're both on the field then....it seems like a really nice combo-fination.

Yeah, this was for a RU Izzet deck...  Going 3 color without green doesn't feel like much of an option for me, with my card base.

There is another thread using 

guttersnipe + deathrite shaman

My vote is to keep this thread strictly U/R to push the limit of what Izzet can do. I feel Izzet has gotten a tough rep, and I think collectively we can help poor ol' Guttersnipe so that he too gets to have a happy Christmas.

The Izzet Keyrunes rarely did much useful, but because I don't have many of the expensive dual lands to work with, they did allow me to cast a few blue spells that I couldn't have otherwise casted.

I'm still building up my collection of dual lands. I have playsets of all the M13 ones plus the ISD ones. What I am missing are 1x Blood Crypt, 2x Overgrown Tomb and 4x Steam Vents. What we some times do when we play test at home is to use the guildgates and play with them as if they were shocklands. This evens things out if, for example, my daughter plays a Selesnya deck with 4x Temple Garden and 4x Sunpetal Grove vs. my Izzet deck with just 4x Sulfur Falls. Obvisouly, this wouldn't help you at FNM, but it might be something to try when you play test with your friend.

Still looking to try to make this deck work - I think the key is having ammunition + available mana for counterspells and removal...  Is Geistflame possibly alright for this deck?  It only hits for 1, but removal spells with flashback are pretty rare...
Is Geistflame possibly alright for this deck?  It only hits for 1, but removal spells with flashback are pretty rare...

I'm still of the opinion that as many instants and sorceries as possible should have at least one colorless mana in them. Otherwise, why run Goblin Electromancer? Which, may actually not be a bad idea.

Hey Weisse,

Your build looks interesting. I like the variety. How have you been doing with it?

Heh, since you asked:

DISCLAIMER: My deck-building cardpool for this list is constrained by what I own in paper magic, so some budget-heavy cards (Hellkite, Snapcaster) that may be good for it are absent. I literally just add cards that I already have to this deck to see how they work out.

As far as performance goes, I win by far most of my games. But that is because my local playgroups are inundated with extreme-casual players that are never much of a challenge. I haven't yet brought it to FNM, but I would like to do that soon.

Electromancer/Guttersnipe are definitely the engines of the deck, and there isn't really a way to win without them. I have had some bad experiences with hitting 0 or 1 creatures for an entire game and not getting anywhere, even with good mana access. I would like to change that by incorporating more win conditions (the deck digs a lot; 1-2 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius may fit the bill). 

Runechanter's Pike, Mizzium Skin, Talrand, Sky Summoner, and Brimstone Volley are my latest additions.

I have yet to get a Talrand into play, so I can't really say anything about him. In some ways, I think Guttersnipe is just a much better card for this deck because the 2 damage bursts come immediately rather than a turn later and after a potential sweeper. Like I've said, I generally win on turn 5 with a single Guttersnipe, marginalizing Talrand's effectiveness.

Mizzium Skin has done a ton of work whenever I've drawn it. It gives me real inevitability to be able to play a turn 4 Guttersnipe with an Island and Skin ready, as often T3 Guttersnipe will get D'sphered/O'ringed/burned out after my opponent untaps. +0/+1 is extremely good on 2/2s in this format, as it serves as a combat trick to kill off nearly all the aggressive 1 and 2 drops of the format (Gravecrawler, Diregraf Ghoul, Rakdos Cackler, Ash Zealot, unexalted Knight of Infamy). Overload is pure bonus--usually its unnecessary but it can be very good when it is (especially when it costs :U: ).

Pike is great. I haven't drawn into it much but it can easily give upwards of +6/+0 on turn 4 or 5. Not sure that I want a second one, though.

Brimstone Volley is something I am looking to remove. I rarely care about spot-removal so often it is just a Searing Spear that may or may not cost more. Pillar of Flame is definitely something I need in here. Searing Spear itself is nice value, often being a Lightning Bolt. 2 more of them doesn't sound bad to me as an option.

Cyclonic Rift is an important card. I had 4 mainboarded because I was coming up against of lot of decks utilizing enchantments, artifacts. Not sure where I am with this one. May go from 3 to 2. Keeps PWs in check, and is a good end-step board-wiper if it comes to that. Hits O-Ring/D-sphere nicely to prep for a win in the next turn.

Counterspell Suite: 1 Syncopate, 1 Dissipate, 2 Rewind, 2 Izzet Charm. This is probably the area that I tinker with the most. Early on I had a one-of Firemind's Foresight, which made me want to run 2 Syncopate and 2 Dissipate to fetch and lockdown the game. All the counterspells benefit from Goblin Electromancer with the exception of Izzet Charm, which is a card I am liking less and less. Mizzium Skin is a replacement for some of these counterspells.

Izzet Charm: Looting isn't worth a card and 2 mana, the counterspell mode is difficult to take advantage of, and Shock mode is meh. I don't think Izzet Charm has good a place in this format right now as it could--especially in this deck, where I am practically already running cards that specialize in each mode and do it much better. Swapping the rest of these for Pillar of Flame is my plan (shock was my most-used mode).

Dissipate: With the help my my favorite UR Goblin, this becomes Counterspell+. It's decent value, for sure, but I'm not sure it has a place in my deck as it moves farther and farther away from the controll-ish monstrosity that it was and toward a faster, refined burn list. Probably cutting this, maybe sideboard.

Syncopate: Similar to Dissipate. Being able to cast it for :U: is really good and gives me much more flexibility.  I'm not sure if I want 0 or 2.

Rewind: My counterspell of choice. Considering adding one or two more (3-4), because it does so much work for this deck. Curves out of turn 2 Electromancer nicely. And it is never a dead card as long as I can cast it: Rewinding one of my own spells in a pinch can help me squeeze out 2-6 more damage from Guttersnipe from the untapped mana (read: 1-2 free mana of my choice) and extra trigger.

Durdle Suite: 4 Think Twice, 2 Desperate Ravings, 2 Faithless Looting. The gas that the engine runs on. I think I am in a sweet spot with these. Adding 1-2 more Desperate Ravings is an option, as is cutting the Lootings. Most definitely responsible for keeping my turn 5-6 wins consistent.

Funsies:

Reforge the Soul has a considerable power level and is very easily playable sans Miracle. However, it is fairly clunky and I will probably only use it for multiplayer games (where it is tremendous fun). Following an end-step, overloaded Cyclonic Rift with this is cool. Plan on cutting it.

Past in Flames. When this works, it works. I only want to play this if my burn-spell threshold is high enough to warrant it. Obviously, several of the spells in this list already have flashback for a competitive cost and so threaten to make Past redundant. Decent late-game win con.

Cackling Counterpart being an instant boosts it to a playable level. Flashback is bonus and expensive, but I am able to flashback it with Electromancer help surprisingly often. Targeting Guttersnipe with it on opponents end step is pretty much game-over unless answered with instants. It's a good enough card in this list that I may considering bumping it up to 2-of.

Other cards I have tried and removed: Delver of Secrets, Chandra, the Firebrand.

Manamorphose would be soo broken in this list 

Hope this was at all helpful. It's nice to see active discussion about UR.

Bunch of awesome stuff.

My thoughts:

1)     Cutting the lootings for the ravings is a thought I agree with immensly. I've run 4 of each ravings and think twice, and never looked back. They're just so GOOD. It feels good to do more card drawing than an actual control deck, right?

2)   I play two talrands, and since you said you haven't gotten to play him yet, I can save you the trouble. You're instincts are right. He's...not good. Not terrible, but not really worth a slot. Maybe in sideboard, vs decks lighter on spot removal, but as is talrand:

Has double blue in his cost
Costs 4 mana
Dies to literally every spot removal available in the format
Does nothing by himself

That's a whole lot of bad for a small amount of good. If only he were an enchantment instead...

3)   Adding 4 searing spear and 4 pillar of flame is almost a must here. Lets you mess up their early game plans, and gives you reach to kill them. I've never regretted their inclusion even once. Untapping with a snipe, to pillar and spear them for a total of 9 is a common play that wins games.

4) What's your sideboard like? I'm terrible at boarding in general, so thoughts on this would be amazing. Specifically, How do you beat Burn/RDW/rakdos, and what do you do against the thragtusk problem?

5)  What made you remove delver? Is he just too inconsistant in this?

On a sidenote, I am so happy to see activity in an Izzet thread. R/U is literally all I care about right now. Anything that makes them better is something I can get behind.

Bunch of awesome stuff.

My thoughts:

1)     Cutting the lootings for the ravings is a thought I agree with immensly. I've run 4 of each ravings and think twice, and never looked back. They're just so GOOD. It feels good to do more card drawing than an actual control deck, right?

Cool, I'll be making that change to my list then. I will still consider running 1-2 Lootings to smooth things out but that will have lower priority over other cards.

3)   Adding 4 searing spear and 4 pillar of flame is almost a must here. Lets you mess up their early game plans, and gives you reach to kill them. I've never regretted their inclusion even once. Untapping with a snipe, to pillar and spear them for a total of 9 is a common play that wins games.

This looks good too. I'll muse over what I can do between cutting Izzet Charm and maybe other counterspells to fit these it. I'll hang onto at least 2 Rewind though.

4) What's your sideboard like? I'm terrible at boarding in general, so thoughts on this would be amazing. Specifically, How do you beat Burn/RDW/rakdos, and what do you do against the thragtusk problem?

As I said, my playgroups aren't very competitive so no one uses serious sideboards... I really don't have much of an idea either. It would be nice if UR had some way to dodge Supreme Verdict (like every other color can: Rootborn Defenses, Golgari Charm etc) because I can see T4 Verdict being an real issue for this deck. Shame that it is not counterable. I'd make sure I have 3-4 Mizzium Skin in some matchups like B/x Aggro/Zombies, RDW.

5)  What made you remove delver? Is he just too inconsistant in this?

Pretty much. Topdecking him is awful when I want more gas--he doesn't contribute immediately like the other creatures do. But when he does go down turn 1 and flips turn 2 (which is easy enough in this deck) he has amazing value.

My list, for posterity:

I've been staying on delver, because so far he's proven to flip reliably enough. 25 instants/ sorceries feel like a good number, and as long as he attacks in the air by turn 5 I'm happy with him. Also, players are usually happy blowing a bit of removal on him, which makes life easier on the sniper.
I've been testing my list some more, and I basically can't come to any conclusions...  I did include 4x each for Think Twice and Desperate Ravings...  I still like the Nivmagus because of how tricky they can be - a surprise instant think twice or desperate ravings or even searing spear makes it a 3/4, counting an opponent pillar of flame / searing spear / blocker, etc...  Yeah, they eat cards in order to grow, but a timely flash-back spell or instant  for a +2/+2 on a creature isn't a bad use of a card.

Anyway, I can't come to conlusions because every time it seems like the deck is bad, it goes and wins convincingly a couple of times in a row...  So, I guess it's possibly competitive - it just needs the right cards to come its way...
Anyway, I can't come to conlusions because every time it seems like the deck is bad, it goes and wins convincingly a couple of times in a row...  So, I guess it's possibly competitive - it just needs the right cards to come its way...

The Izzet are mad and dangerous experimenters. So at least this fits the lore.

Against RDW, Frostburn Weird is amazing at stalling their game. It won't win you the game but if you add burn you can def get the upper hand. This is from my own playtesting that I've experienced it.
This is my Izzet deck that I've been working on for a while. The first version didn't work too well, so I scrapped it and came up with a new version that I think works a lot better.

Mainboard

Sideboard
[deck]
2x Smelt
2x Mizzium Mortars
2x Think Twice
1x Pithing Needle
2x Traitorous Instinct
2x Blasphemous Act
2x Essence Backlash
2x Izzet Staticaster
[/deck] 
This is my Izzet deck that I've been working on for a while. The first version didn't work too well, so I scrapped it and came up with a new version that I think works a lot better.

Mainboard

Sideboard
[deck]
2x Smelt
2x Mizzium Mortars
2x Think Twice
1x Pithing Needle
2x Traitorous Instinct
2x Blasphemous Act
2x Essence Backlash
2x Izzet Staticaster
[/deck] 

Don't have time for a thorough reply, but your mana looks iffy. 9/23 come into play tapped T1 or are , preventing T1 plays. Also, I would swap Annihilating Fires for Pillars or Spears... Pillar hits plenty of things. Again, with 4x Dissipate I don't think your mana likes the :R::R: cost if it doesn't really need it. And that would let your manabase lean more towards :U: for consistent Delvers and T2/3 counterspells.
I have also tried to make an Izzet deck, but I'm not yet sure it is good enough for FNM, but suggestions are welcome.

Creatures: 16
4x Delver of Secrets (might try Nivmagus Elemental)
4x Augur of Bolas (would add Snapcaster Mage if I had them. )
4x Goblin Electromancer
4x Guttersnipe

Spells: 22
4x Pillar of Flame
2x Devil's Play
4x Searing Spear
4x Desperate Ravings
2x Mizzium Mortars
2x Cyclonic Rift
4x Izzet Charm

Planeswalkers: 2
2x Chandra, the Firebrand

Lands: 20
6x Mountain
4x Island
4x Steam Vents
4x Sulfur Falls
2x Desolate Lighthouse

Sideboard: 15
4x Inaction Injunction
3x Runechanter's Pike
2x Mizzium Mortars
2x Cyclonic Rift
2x Hypersonic Dragon
2x Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius
^

Problems as I see them:

1) 4 delvers, 22 spells. makes me nervous as to how often your delvers are going to sit around being fair.

2) You sideboard looks really weird. Inaction injunction, niz mizzets, and hypersonic dragon all look pretty bad for side options.

3) 4 izzet charms are 4 izzet charms too many. the card feels really weak on all three modes.

4) Not sure about devil's play. You're only running 20 lands...seems like a weird card choice here.