CKY's Fool's Gold: Dead Ends

22 posts / 0 new
Last post

A small set based on destruction, sacrifice, and Victorian science gone wrong.

Day 3, 1146 hrs
Philosopher Cestus tells me that the fool's gold is more than mere metal. It catches the light like gold, but it spreads with the malevolence of a virus, the unquenchable ferocity of a flame. Deep within its structure, we found cells which seemed to flow into each other – elemental building blocks more wave than corpuscle, pulsing from the very core with magical energy. In its essence, we found something that hungered to devour, to reshape; something that glared back at us through the microscope. I dislike using the term 'consciousness', but in our work with the fool's gold, it has become more and more difficult to avoid. When we began, we thought we knew what the gold fundamentally was – now whether it is animal, vegetable or mineral, we cannot even answer.
At least our study of the cancerous substance has yielded some useful fruits. Inspired by its unique self-replicating quality, one of Philosopher Cestus's assistants came up with a foam that metamorphoses into anything it touches, with applications in medicine and engineering. An idea sparked by the internal reinforcement of the gold led Cestus himself to design some improvements to our electrum-armor technology in his spare time. I myself have found some disturbing insights by analyzing the psychological impacts of impending disaster. We have discovered everything about the gold, it seems, except the single most crucial piece of information – its weakness.
It has been only three days, yet I am almost ready to give up hope. I set out looking for answers, only to find more mysteries waiting to be solved. I followed Zik's cryptic trail, only for my search to end in vain. I chased Auric through the sewers, only to find he was unconnected to the goblin's schemes. I have nowhere left to turn, no place left to look. And the clock is ticking.

Aurora Crinita
Aurora Crinita

Creature – Elemental Spirit (U)
0/1

Whenever Aurora Crinita or another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may have Aurora Crinita deal 1 damage to target player.

As darkness closed in on the plane of Solphos, the stars themselves began falling from the sky.

Sapient Overflow
Sapient Overflow

Instant (U)

Put X 1/1 colorless Ooze creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Thanks to the buildup of magical energy created through the cycle of calcination and coagulation, alchemy labs make the perfect breeding grounds for spontaneous life.

Comments and criticism appreciated.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Pretty strong one-mana version of Furious Assault, if you ask me! Also, what's nice about the many other spells that produce ooze creature tokens are the variable sizes, because that's what defines oozes..
Stop being awesome.
Pretty strong one-mana version of Furious Assault, if you ask me!

It isn't much more than a Lava Spike most of the time. And it forces you to overextend. And it can't attack. And it dies to Shock.

Embrace imagination.

These aren't exactly differences, it's the same for your card except it's probably easier to destroy..
Furious assault only triggers off creatures spells, this can trigger off tokens. Probably should cost 2.
Chaos, Furious Assault isn't really the right precedent. Blood Seeker is. And as you'll note, Blood Seeker's ability is harder to prevent and on a slightly bigger body; I think CKY's design is fine as a 0/1 in the face of that.
Blood seeker only triggers off your opponents creatures, you can't really control that.
Blood seeker only triggers off your opponents creatures, you can't really control that.

No, you can't - but Blood Seeker also hoses aggro and does quite the knife-job on a lot of forms of tribal too, which CKY's doesn't.
It reads kinda like storm for creatures, which I find very interesting.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Pretty strong one-mana version of Furious Assault, if you ask me!

It isn't much more than a Lava Spike most of the time. And it forces you to overextend. And it can't attack. And it dies to Shock.

It's also more vulnerable. I'm pretty sure four colors can answer this in some form, even if only just Prey Upon or forced block. It's highly unlikely for black or red to have an answer to Furious Assault.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Stop being awesome.

i know; i am really tired of coming into the thread and only see nothing but awesomeness.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I would say ... if any creature that enters the battlefield eventually dies, it should be better to compare it to blood artist

One mana is fine if you are aiming for blood artist power level.
(half the mana for roughly (slighly more than) half the creature count (only your own and no opponent's))

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
what other seemingly innocuous one-mana creature had a 1 damage trigger

you'd have to watch like a hawk for spells that put loads of tokens onto the battlefield quickly 
At Uncommon, Aurora Crinita should cost and be 1/1.  ETB triggers are not comparable to LTB triggers.  The appropriate card to compare to is Soul Warden.

Crinita Pros:
Triggers off Self
Damage >> Lifegain

Cons:
Triggers off your board only
Is 0/1

It's very arguable, but I don't think the cons and the pros are even enough here.

As for Sapient Overflow, why are the Oozes colorless?  Is that a block theme -- colorless Oozes that all colors wind up making?  If not, they should be green.  Second question: Why are the Oozes considered sapient, rather than sentient?  Are self-aware, higher-order cognitive Oozes a block theme?

I like the concepts behind both cards, they're very nice as Uncommon slots

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
At Uncommon, Aurora Crinita should cost and be 1/1.  ETB triggers are not comparable to LTB triggers.  The appropriate card to compare to is Soul Warden.

funny i thought about that but I have to say the same to you:

Gain life is not comparable to damage. LOL it's even worse comparible to ETB/LTB.

And rest for the weary is not playable while searing spear is ;p
IF the card needs any nerf, I would say take out the trigger on its own and go the warden path.

I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]

Gain life is not comparable to damage. LOL it's even worse comparible to ETB/LTB.

And rest for the weary is not playable while searing spear is ;p
IF the card needs any nerf, I would say take out the trigger on its own and go the warden path.

Actually, Rest for the Weary was a beating. Zen limited was about racing. Resolving one of these had the actual impact on the game of casting a 2/2 for 2.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
The combo-y-ness of the spirit makes me nervous at one mana. Not necessarily broken, but possibly.

Perhaps at as a 2/1 or 1/1 flyer?

Goblin Offensive in Green? Maybe its just me, but I've had enough X token spells from white recently... And it seems like green is more about big guys on X spells anyway. I think there's precedent for moving this to Red. Green feels like it should exile used ingredients to make an X/X token.

Since I think you mean life gain : damage is less comparable than ETB : LTB, I'm primarily refering to the overall effect, rather than the method of causing that effect.  I'm also refering to "comparable" as a method of measuring qualitative differences.

Life Gain and Damage Dealt are comparable as game effects, since both net the same change in player life differentials (1v1).  It's generally more beneficial to get the game closer to completion than to delay it, though; so, damage is usually more potent than life gain.

ETB and LTB triggers aren't quite comparable as methods of causing an effect, though.  I concede I was a bit too absolute in my statement that they "are not comparable."  But it's much easier to compare damage vs life gain and rate damage as "pro" in more situations, than it is to compare ETB vs LTB and rate one or the other as a "pro."

Rest for the Weary and Searing Spear are definitely comparable, as we can guage the qualitative and quantitative differences between the two simply because their effects are comparable.

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
I'm surprised of the very intensive discussion of abilities that can be found on existing cards.. Even though innovation doesn't seem to be important for you, your cards have flavor and they're absolutely printable!

They're comparable theoretically; if the set makes having creatures ETB too easily (and since this set is fairly big on tokens/combos/etc, it's something to watch for), then you're in the same position that Disciple put Mirrodin in (where saccing artifacts was way too easy)
If Aurora Crinita ends up being a problem in testing, there's always the nerf hammer.
As for Sapient Overflow, why are the Oozes colorless?  Is that a block theme -- colorless Oozes that all colors wind up making?  If not, they should be green.  Second question: Why are the Oozes considered sapient, rather than sentient?  Are self-aware, higher-order cognitive Oozes a block theme?

Ooze tokens are colorless because every color gets oozes in Solphos block, and white gets to make Ooze tokens as well. As for the 'sapient' part, the larger an ooze is, the more intelligent it becomes.
I'm surprised of the very intensive discussion of abilities that can be found on existing cards.. Even though innovation doesn't seem to be important for you, your cards have flavor and they're absolutely printable!

It isn't that innovation isn't important to me; I just care about the big picture more than the individual cards. The mechanics might be simple, but they combine to build a very interesting format which I don't think exists anywhere else.

Thanks for the praise, everyone! 

Embrace imagination.

Sign In to post comments