Question about Gaze attacks

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am contemplating getting an item that protects against gaze attacks but I am wondering if that is all atatcks that originate from the eye like attacks from a Beholder Tyrant. How is the Gaze keyword defined as I would figure it would be on all beholder's lists but I don't see any powers with that keyword in their portfolio.
A Gaze is just a kind of attack more or less.

Some Gaze attacks don't even have the Gaze keyword. (ex. Zairtail Gazer's Desorienting Gaze)

MV 307 Gaze [keyword]: A kind of attack. Blind or blinded creatures are immune to gaze attacks, and a creature cannot make a gaze attack while blinded.

Yeah that is what was confusing me because i looked up gaze attacks under creatures and some of them didn't even have the keyword. I wonder if the DM can just make that determination on an obvious thing like that or should it just be strict to the keyword as written?
By a strict RAW a Gaze attack is an attack with the Gaze keyword and if the game element does not specify any further, such as the Matrakk's Lense, it won't protect you against attacks that don't have the Gaze keyword even if the name of the attack has the word Gaze in it.

For comparison, a Vistani Eye Amulet specify further and would protect against attacks that don't have the Gaze keyword, as long as they originate from the attacker’s eyes.

Property: You gain an item bonus to saving throws equal to the enhancement bonus against effects imposed by attacks that have the gaze keyword, that originate in the attacker’s eye or eyes (DM discretion), or that affect your eyes or sight.

This isn't a case where adherence to strict RAW has significant value, in my opinion.  It won't break the game either way.  Use your judgment, decide what is more fun for you and your group and go with that.  If one way or the other pisses people off, then don't use it.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I wonder if the DM can just make that determination on an obvious thing like that or should it just be strict to the keyword as written?

The DM can definitly make that determination.

Only Organized Play where RAW is enforced that it could conflict with the rules. And even then, for LFR for exemple this could be easily DME'd by considering such attacks as having the Gaze keyword for the purpose of meeting the item's definition.
I am looking at the Mirrored Mask

Properties

• You are immune to gaze attacks.

• You gain a +2 bonus to all defenses against ranged or area attacks.

So immunity is pretty strong.

It's a level 27 item.  It's supposed to be strong.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Its strong but Gaze attacks are rare enought. 

Like i said, RAW the Mask doesn't work against attacks that don't have the Gaze keyword but the DM can always determine it does if you guys want to houserule it.
Sign In to post comments