Now is the time to stand up and demand you want a Random Deck option

114 posts / 0 new
Last post
We are the middle of the life cycle for a DOTP game. The second deck pack is coming tomorrow with the final one next month. The next game we can all assume will be released some time next Summer. This means that they are working on the new game right now and if Random Decks is an option that sound's appealing to use I would suggest you speak up.

Around this time when the decks are new you often find a majority of the games you play include whatever the flavor of the month is. It can get very tiresome fighting the same deck over and over again. DOTP really shines at the end of its life cycle when everyone knows there aren't going to be any more decks released. People finally decide which decks like playing the most and stick with them regardless of how they stack up.

I propose that a Random Deck option would change all of that. No more would you be forced to fight the same deck back to back because it's the new hotness. Having a new deck pop up while playing Random would be far more rewarding. While I'm not saying take away the ability to choose your deck I'm simply asking for option to force random for the entire room, and here's my suggestion on how it could work.

The same way you're allowed to turn on AI Takeover by clicking on the box as host, there should also be a box for Random Decks. The option would show on the browser so someone can decide whether or not to join that game. I think it should also be turned off by default. Doing it this way allow's it to be used regardless of what mode you play in. The only problem I have with this is there needs to be recognition of the handicap that is inherent to allowing the game to choose your deck. I think there should be leaderboards for those who play this way since it forces you to have trimmed decks for the entire game and an understanding of how all the decks work. It's much harder than just riding one deck to the top of the leaderboards.

I unfortunately don't think separate leaderboards for random would work since that might make for extra clutter. Instead simply giving a point's multipyer at the end of the match for playing random is reason enough for some people to play that way. I think adding this option would keep the game fresh no matter what sort of content is currently released because you never know which deck you're going to be paired up against.
i vote for a double decking box.

Worst idea i've ever heard. Ever. Can you imagine it in this game? Having 26 cards, that's one card shy of half a well trimmed deck, minus your opening hand, milled from your library on your own first turn because you dared to play a LAND????. To maintain the nice balance with alternate win cons, it's likely 2014 will have a mill deck. And if you can double deck, you're playing two mill who just attack one library for a cheap win. Even worse if they get the proverbial God Hand. 2 to 4 Chancellor of the spires in opening hand, 2x Archive Trap On your turn one...GG. They don't even have to drop so much as an island, your game is over unless you happen to be playing lifegain. If you are, and use that card...they still have full hands and can mill you before turn five ends. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.

This is the one the cheapest thing ever and made 2012 2hg highly unplayable for anyone not aiming to get cheap wins they couldn't get through skill. Didn't we see enough threads full of the complaints on this with people threatning to no longer buy duels because of this?

Now a random deck area or some indicator that shows a random deck option active (like ready) would be amazing IMHO.

Edit: Although "demand" is a strong word, I would prefer "strong suggestion" that Sean can pass to the design team  
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
Random deck option, YES! Sorry, forgot my vote...
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
I absolutely agree. It will be great) My vote for random deck option too.
Yeah, Ill vote for this, even though Ive been asking for this since the original Duels
This has my vote as well.  I already play random decks in 1v1 and 2hg so it'd be nice if everyone else could too. 
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I've been wanting the random mode option for a while now! I know I can quasi-randomize my own choice by spinning quickly through the decks, but it sucks to do that and play against someone using the same deck 4 times in a row. Good for you dude, I can win with Sepulchral Strength too.
A random deck lobby is my #1 request!
Absolutely in favor of a random deck option!!
I like the idea strictly for an after the game gets stale PoV. But I warn you, most will just drop out or not join if that box is checked, so a game will take even longer to get. Seeing how the casual players will want to play with what is most comfortable. And this game is mostly newer players after all...
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"
I like the idea strictly for an after the game gets stale PoV. But I warn you, most will just drop out or not join if that box is checked, so a game will take even longer to get. Seeing how the casual players will want to play with what is most comfortable. And this game is mostly newer players after all...

You're making assumptions. If rooms clearly state it's random you dont have to join. If the host changes it to random then you can just leave. I don't think it's mostly new player's. They have been making these games since 2009, everyone know's what to expect that's why they keep coming back.
I agree that the community has been wanting this option for a long time now!
Yak Cast - MMO Podcast: http://yak.mmoSmackTalk.com Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/yakmmosmacktalk Follow me on Facebook: http://facebook.com/YakCast

You're making assumptions. If rooms clearly state it's random you dont have to join. If the host changes it to random then you can just leave. I don't think it's mostly new player's. They have been making these games since 2009, everyone know's what to expect that's why they keep coming back.

I won't try to explain since it's clearly over your head, but I will reiterate I'm for it, just don't see it happening for obvious reasons, or maybe not so obvious? Meh.
Avenger of Zendikar is not game... Got a question as to whether a card without shroud or hexproof is good? Answer is, dies to removal. "Control Slivers"

I won't try to explain since it's clearly over your head, but I will reiterate I'm for it, just don't see it happening for obvious reasons, or maybe not so obvious? Meh.

For the record I fought Dream Puppets just now 4 times in a row and counting split between 3 different opponents. It's the only way to fix stuff like that. If those people want to spam the same crap over and over again then let them play amongst themselves.

This thread is starting out to be a good petition for this feature that many people want.  Please dont' let the conversation stray towards insulting each other.  It isn't necessary.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

For the record I fought Dream Puppets just now 4 times in a row and counting split between 3 different opponents. It's the only way to fix stuff like that. If those people want to spam the same crap over and over again then let them play amongst themselves.

Oh no, four times in a row? Over three opponents you say? So one person "spammed", if you can call it that, and you think this proves your case?

I would like the option too but as I said, and it is fact, this game caters to newer players. Why implement something that would separate the player base? I speak from a common sense point of view. If you don't like my opinion, block me or don't read/reply. No sweat off my back. I won't blindly say "give me this" when realistically its not happening. You know who else acts like that? Babies. 

Anyway, I'm done "discussing" with you, enjoy your prattling about something that is unlikely to happen.
I'm pretty much always under 300 rank (I think 205 atm) and I play EVERY DECK EQUALLY (really close anyhow).  Maybe I'm a rare breed, but I enjoy all decks and I play very well with all decks...enough to stay in the top ranks anyhow.  I would love a FORCED RANDOM option more than anything.  Of course I have mentioned this in every other thread like this.  I hope they make a random option in DotP 2014! 

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Steam Profile Name: Nebula

+1 to random decks.

ALso, there needs to be full deck view for multi player matches. So there is less same deck matches. 2 days ago I had a match with 1 life gain + 2 peacekeepers, act of war. was not a fun game. 
i understand you all want to have fun but i just dont get it. why are you all not playing player matches  instead of ranked? i was under the impression that ranked was where you took your A-game. i mean you dont not pick the middle box in tic tac toe do you? it sounds like you all want it so maybe have it replace stupid archenemy or plainswalker mode.
i understand you all want to have fun but i just dont get it. why are you all not playing player matches  instead of ranked? i was under the impression that ranked was where you took your A-game. i mean you dont not pick the middle box in tic tac toe do you? it sounds like you all want it so maybe have it replace stupid archenemy or plainswalker mode.

PSN doesn't distinguish between ranked and player matches, there are just matches, and all are ranked. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Same with Steam Kar.

To find a helpful Magic the Gathering DotP community that cares, go to: http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Join my Tournament Notification Group for announcements involving upcoming tournaments!

Same with Steam Kar.

Hmm, so maybe ipad too? Is x-box the only format with ranked? That would be a little unusual...
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
A lot of people have been asking for this since DotP 2009 and they haven't done anything about it despite it seemingly being very easy to implement in the game. I don't have high hopes that they will listen to us.

If a random deck option isn't in the next game, I'm not buying it. Simple as that. For me it's that important to the fun and replayability of this game.

The way you describe it in the OP would be perfect, and would be sooo easy to put in the game. It boggles the mind how they haven't done this already. They patched in the AI Takeover box and cloaked decks in lobby in the middle of dotp 2012 because so many people were (rightfully) complaining about being able to see their opponent's deck in the lobby and having to play out all matches against the AI even when their opponent quit.

I think they will try to put it in the game, but completely screw it up. They will make it so when you select random deck, it only randomizes your own deck and not the decks of your opponent(s). Which of course completely defeats the purpose of random decks in the first place Cry
I think they will try to put it in the game, but completely screw it up. They will make it so when you select random deck, it only randomizes your own deck and not the decks of your opponent(s). Which of course completely defeats the purpose of random decks in the first place

I'd take this just because I feel lame wheel spinning through the decks.
I agree Wiggles, I want a forced random option.  If someone is in the lobby I created and I have random enabled then everyone who enters my lobby will also be playing random.  I would love this!

Signed.

100% agreed. A random option (whereby both/all players play random decks) is absolutely the no. 1 thing on my DOTP wish list, and always has been: it will give the game more longevity, and will make the multi-player arena a far more interesting and vibrant place to be.

Like quite a few others, I have been asking for this for a long while; so let's hope this persistence pays off just as it did with requests for the manual tapping of land.

They keep saying they look at Duels as being "like a fighting game".

Guess what feature every fighting game that has ever existed since Street Fighter 2 has?

That's right.  A Random option.

When I self-randomize by spinning the decks with my eyes closed, I think subconsciously I know when to stop spinning because I always seem to land on my favorite decks.

I think they will try to put it in the game, but completely screw it up. They will make it so when you select random deck, it only randomizes your own deck and not the decks of your opponent(s). Which of course completely defeats the purpose of random decks in the first place Cry

I would be MORE than happy with just being able to choose random for my deck choice.  I am sick of trying to randomize my deck by spinning the wheel, because on the ipad it seems I always land back on the same deck I was on in the first place!  If only I could go on Price is Right or Wheel of Fortune and abuse that kind of luck...

I would be MORE than happy with just being able to choose random for my deck choice.  I am sick of trying to randomize my deck by spinning the wheel, because on the ipad it seems I always land back on the same deck I was on in the first place!  If only I could go on Price is Right or Wheel of Fortune and abuse that kind of luck...

That happens on PS3 too. Even when I'm purposefully trying to not land on the same deck by spinning a shorter or longer amount of time than the time before, I still land on the same deck.
It is also like that on Steam (PC), I do the same thing Wiggles.  Or like a full spin followed by a half spin without stopping type deal, lol.

Signed

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

http://www.nogoblinsallowed.com/viewforum.php?f=38

What if I want to sit down and don't care one way or the other because I've spent the last two years spinning the deck chooser randomly anyhow? :p

EDIT: Missed a keystroke. 

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

Well the thing is, sure we can "randomize" our deck choices manually - I do it almost literally every game I play, unless I haven't played a deck in a while and miss it.

But having a mode or lobby setting where BOTH are forced to Random would allow you to see MUCH more varied combinations of decks.  How many people, right now, play Pack Instinct or Collective Might?  Even though they're good decks, I just never see them (unless I'm playing them).

It gets kind of boring playing against Goblins, Aura, Dream Puppets, and Obedient Dead all the time.  Oh, and whenever new decks come out, everyone plays those nonstop.  Which is understandable, but still boring to me.
Well the thing is, sure we can "randomize" our deck choices manually - I do it almost literally every game I play, unless I haven't played a deck in a while and miss it.

But having a mode or lobby setting where BOTH are forced to Random would allow you to see MUCH more varied combinations of decks.  How many people, right now, play Pack Instinct or Collective Might?  Even though they're good decks, I just never see them (unless I'm playing them).

It gets kind of boring playing against Goblins, Aura, Dream Puppets, and Obedient Dead all the time.  Oh, and whenever new decks come out, everyone plays those nonstop.  Which is understandable, but still boring to me.

Oh sure, I understand entirely, I'm just saying that it really doesn't bother me either way. I'd like it, provided there were no decks that I flat out did not enjoy playing (TRINITY OF ELEMENTS) and it forced everyone present to be random. However I could just as easily do without it because I usually play random decks most of the time anyhow. I do it for variety, and because I get more of the kinds of close games that excite me if I don't just pick decks I know I'm very likely to destroy people with. It's the sort of thing I wouldn't mind if they had extra time but I'd rather they focus on other things first.

Wizards: If it isn't game design, we can't do it right. Frankly, we're kind of shaky on the game design sometimes too.

I pretty much main the lesser used decks, like CM and MS so it really doesn't matter to me either way.
For me it is all about variety.  I could care less how "good" or "bad" a deck is, I just want to play different decks vs. different decks.  I hate playing vs. the same deck 5 out of 6 times because everyone runs it or someone just keeps playing the same deck over and over.  I like variety, this gives variety.  I also think that it brings out the best in players (which is why I run random tournaments for Steam) as the player has to play all different styles and against all different styles to win.  If you don't believe me, go ask the participants of my tournament who have told me time and time again that the way I set my tournaments up really brings out the best in every player.  This is mainly due to the randomness of deck selection.  This is why I want a forced random option that can be chosen by the host.  Don't wanna play random?  Don't join my game that I am hosting/host your own without random.  Please, give us a forced random option!

I especially hate how people are still clinging to the belief that Dream Puppets is a good deck in 1v1.  You'd think that after I beat them several times in a row, they'd try a different deck.  Nope...
If it were ever a good deck in duels, I imagine Grinning Malice, Sepulchral Strength, and Grim Procession have largely destroyed that. Between Demigod of Revenge, Mortivore, Lord of Extinction, and Necromancer's Covenant, I couldn't see myself as running DP as anything but a strict control build, with Mind Control, Body Double, Clone and Jace's Phantasm as the win-cons. Might still run Telemin Performance for the extra creatures.