Leyline/Obedience

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Combo:  Leyline of the Void + Helm of Obedience.  While the combo isn't new, is there anything new to add to the deck?  In fact, is there even a decklist to be had for this combo?
seems like it's be really slow.  You're basically looking at a deck that would have to function off of the 12-post mana engine + some blue to help you dig and to help you protect it.

1 untimely Artifact/Enchantment hate spell and you combo is toast.  And you run the risk of getting dead draws (drawing other leylines).

Might be best to leave is as a casual deck, since you may need to muligan a lot to get the leyline in your opening hand.  I guess you could run Serum Powder to help, but I don't know how playable it is in Legacy. 
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Old Vintage 2-Card Monty decks ran the combo.

Nowadays, I've seen Rest in Peace used with Helm. The combo has the added protection of Energy Field. It's not a fantastic deck, but it can definitely be viable in the right metas.
Hey diddle diddle, the cat and the fiddle, the cow jumped over the moon. The little dog laughed to see such sport, And the Dish ran away with the Spoon. He ran from conviction, and fed his addiction as the Dish heated the Spoon... The Spoon begged to go, but the Dish shouted : "NO!!" "The heroin will be ready soon!" "Any time doing the right thing is funny as hell, it's probably Chaotic Good." IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2jcu9fs.png)
12-post is a terrible idea. You just run Leyline Mulligan with a singleton Helm and 4 Enlightened Tutors.

Academy Rector+Phyrexian Tower is also good tech.

It gets decently consistent turn 1-2 kills and has a very nice anti-meta toolbox, but when it stalls, it stalls hard.
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
12-post is a terrible idea. You just run Leyline Mulligan with a singleton Helm and 4 Enlightened Tutors. Academy Rector+Phyrexian Tower is also good tech. It gets decently consistent turn 1-2 kills and has a very nice anti-meta toolbox, but when it stalls, it stalls hard.

I suppose I haven't spent a lot of time looking yet, but have you seen a list that's done decent?  I'm going to try generating a list I feel confident in for the next few days, if I have enough time.  
any good wu/ub/wub controlly shell can run this relatively easily.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

I've not seen a list that placed well at a tournament, no. But this should be a decent list to start with:

Pre-Game
4 Leyline of the Void
4 Leyline of Sanctity
4 Leyline of Vitality
3 Leyline of Anticipation
3 Leyline of Lifeforce
1 Leyline of Singularity
4 Serum Powder

Tutors
4 Enlightened Tutor
4 Crop Rotation
1 Sterling Grove
2 Academy Rector

Win
4 Opalesence
1 Helm of Obedience
1 Parallax Wave

Bullets
2 Suppression Field
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Penicious Deed
1 Curcible of Worlds

Lands
4 Serra's Sanctum
4 Gemstone Mine
3 Horizon Canopy
1 Tree of Tales
1 Phyrexian Tower
1 Wasteland

Sideboard:
1 Suppression Field
4 Stony Silence
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Nevermore
3 Orim's Chant
1 Sterling Grove
4 Rest in Peace

The bullets and sideboard can be tweaked depending on your play style and meta. Sylvan Library is a good choice, as are Expedition map, Chalice of the Void, Solitary Confinement, Ghostly Prison, City of Solitude, Aura of Silence, and Cleansing Seal.

The main idea is 5 free Leylines+Santcum+Opalesence, swing turn 1. You also have Leyline of the Void+Helm. 

When those plans don't work right away, you have:

-Infinite life, infinite spot removal, and protection from spot removal
-Turn 2-3 Wastelock
-A response to Krosan Grip
-Meta-hate with your toolbox
-Tons of random splash hate with your Leylines
-Tons of tutors to make it all happen

It's not great, but it can definitely surprise people and has a lot of options. 
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
Hmm...interesting. One last question, because I feel like it hasn't really been scratched in this thread. Honestly, it's what I'm more interested in: what about dropping the whole Opalesence package altogether? Why not just bank solely on Helm and either Rest in Peace or Leyline of the Void (probably both)? Is it just too fragile to try to aim for? I'd think your worst problems would be counterspell on Helm, because decks like Miracles can still play around losing their graveyard. But we are also in the right color for targeted hand disruption and artifact destruction on Top.

I could see it as at least a casual deck, passing up some protection for straight combo, but I suppose it may be too much to rely on cards which are desperately dead draws without the other pieces to make this a possibility for tournament play.
OpaLeylines is a hilarious deck. I love trolling with it honestly. I actually haven't been using Helm in mine. Bad decision.