New player question about character builder

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
This question is about using the DDI character builder for the War of Everlasting Darkness Encounter play.

I used the option off the Main Menu of the builder, "Build a Custom D&D Character," then selected the "War of Everlasting Darkness" Campaign setting option.

I noticed that the builder doesn't let me choose lots of things like at-will, encounter, and daily powers. It only lets me choose utility powers. For instance, if I roll a Ranger (Hunter), it chooses all of the class at-will, encounter, and daily powers for me. There's no option to choose my own powers if I prefer Twin Strike or such. It only lets me choose things like archery style, wilderness knacks, aspects, lothtouched, and utility powers.

Just to clarify: Am I restricted to choices in character gen that come from the 6 books plus supporting Dragon articles mentioned here (goo.gl/v2Or)? Is that why I'm not able to select my own power load-out? 

So for example, since something like Martial Power 2 isn't listed in the book list, may I not choose class powers from that source (unless they're also in one of the 6 books/Dragon articles)?

Thanks =)

By the rules of Encounters, you are restricted to those six books. Even then, I'm pretty sure you can't use everything in those books, such as the new Monk disciplines in HotEC.

Have a conversation with your DM at the FLGS, they may be more permissive.
This question is about using the DDI character builder for the War of Everlasting Darkness Encounter play.

I used the option off the Main Menu of the builder, "Build a Custom D&D Character," then selected the "War of Everlasting Darkness" Campaign setting option.

I noticed that the builder doesn't let me choose lots of things like at-will, encounter, and daily powers. It only lets me choose utility powers. For instance, if I roll a Ranger (Hunter), it chooses all of the class at-will, encounter, and daily powers for me. There's no option to choose my own powers if I prefer Twin Strike or such. It only lets me choose things like archery style, wilderness knacks, aspects, lothtouched, and utility powers.

Just to clarify: Am I restricted to choices in character gen that come from the 6 books plus supporting Dragon articles mentioned here (goo.gl/v2Or)? Is that why I'm not able to select my own power load-out? 

So for example, since something like Martial Power 2 isn't listed in the book list, may I not choose class powers from that source (unless they're also in one of the 6 books/Dragon articles)?

Thanks =)

What you are seeing is the difference between the D&D Essentials ranger (hunter) and the "regular" ranger. The ranger (hunter) does not have those encounter and daily powers like the ranger--it has a whole other set of powers instead. The two classes do share utility powers though, which is why that choice is still there.

The D&D Encounters programs emphasizes the Essentials characters, since most of them are easier to play and to teach new players. The Encounters adventure specifically states that these characters should be used. Each individual DM, however, has the final say on what he or she allows at the table. So if you want to make a "regular" ranger who uses encounters and dailies instead of the ranger-hunter's suite of powers and abilities, talk to the DM. But to do that, you will have to uncheck the War of Everlasting Darkess filter in the DDI Character Builder, because that filter removes those choices, as you have seen.

Be well!
Malak and swermin: thank you both very much for clarifying that. Smile
Sign In to post comments