Servant of Nefarox or Guardians of Akrasa?

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to fit only one of these into my exalted deck, so I need some advice. If you had to choose one of the two, which would it be? Servant of Nefarox or Guardians of Akrasa?
neither
proud member of the 2011 community team
neither mirran crusader and the likes are much more deadlier
I love trolls Dont hate me because I'm blunt and you cannot handle it
or Vampire Nighthawk if you want a black option that is actually Standard legal
proud member of the 2011 community team
I'd say it depends a lot on your deck and what it's trying to do, and on the removal you expect to see. There's enough small burn in the Standard format that running Servant becomes a liability. The Guardians makes more sense in that regard, since it does a better job of actually blocking, which is what you want your non-attacking exalted dudes to do.

Also, people are so bad at answering a question in a helpful manner. 
I'd say it depends a lot on your deck and what it's trying to do, and on the removal you expect to see. There's enough small burn in the Standard format that running Servant becomes a liability. The Guardians makes more sense in that regard, since it does a better job of actually blocking, which is what you want your non-attacking exalted dudes to do.

How was either of enigma (second post) and my post not helpful? Both gave new options to look at, that we both thought were better options. Want me to bring you a ladder? To get off your high horse?
If you really want one or the other, Guardian. But if you have the blacksources nighthawks would be good.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

noble heirarch is better for exalted. 
Knight of infamy For the winnn!!!

How was either of enigma (second post) and my post not helpful? Both gave new options to look at, that we both thought were better options. Want me to bring you a ladder? To get off your high horse?

Because it failed to address the actual question of comparing the two. Sure, the OP didn't give a ton of input to work from, but there's a clear framework there. I'm not saying your input had no basis or provided no aid; I'm just saying it didn't really relate to the question.

To use another example, suppose I asked "Which 1 mana card draw spell should I use first: Serum Visions or Sleight of Hand?" Again, that doesn't offer a lot of context; you could infer that I'm referring to Modern, but I didn't give much to work on, which is my error. But answering "Neither. Use Ancestral Recall." doesn't do much to get the conversation where it needs to go.

All-in-all, mine was a tongue-in-cheek comment, and these type of responses happen all the time, whether they're made sincerely or to be snide/funny. But they're never helpful in answering the question at hand.
I'm thankful for both kinds of answers, but was looking more to get my original question answered before I get suggestions on alternative cards. Thanks to everyone.
the problem is you're asking for a choice between two very different cards. it's like asking "which should I run in my deck, lightning bolt or divination?" we can't answer that without knowing more about your deck. if you're more aggro with incidental exalted options, servant is better. if you're more trying to get lots of value out of a single attacker while holding off their counterattacks, Guardians is better. it all comes down to what you need the card to do.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

Because it failed to address the actual question of comparing the two. Sure, the OP didn't give a ton of input to work from, but there's a clear framework there. I'm not saying your input had no basis or provided no aid; I'm just saying it didn't really relate to the question.

To use another example, suppose I asked "Which 1 mana card draw spell should I use first: Serum Visions or Sleight of Hand?" Again, that doesn't offer a lot of context; you could infer that I'm referring to Modern, but I didn't give much to work on, which is my error. But answering "Neither. Use Ancestral Recall." doesn't do much to get the conversation where it needs to go.

All-in-all, mine was a tongue-in-cheek comment, and these type of responses happen all the time, whether they're made sincerely or to be snide/funny. But they're never helpful in answering the question at hand.

You're on the intarwebz, get over it.

Besides, 'neither' is a perfectly legit answer. Neither card is particularly strong, and you can (and should) make an exalted deck with some creatures that don't say "Exalted" in their text box.
Please, while I have no control over what is posted here, I would like to not be the reason people started a heated argument.

As I said earlier, I appreciated both answers, and feel both are valid answers. Honestly, I appreciate those answers that were confined to my question more, but I see absolutely no harm in folks giving me additional suggestions if I had the money to buy additional cards (though it was not what I was looking for, at least I'll know what to keep an eye out for when I buy boosters). I think people arguing which answer is "right" in the sense of being valid is silly. So let's stop that.

I have a limited monthly budget. Paying off college loans, living expenses, etc. Had I the money to simply purchase a deck of my choosing, I would not have asked the folks here which I should choose out of two rather unimpressive cards. I would've simply bought 4 sublime archangels and they would've replaced both cards and a few more instead.

To address razorborne, I'd like to link to you all the cards I have in this particular deck to give you the best idea how my deck is built, but I don't play this game outside of breaktime at work (since I have no one to play this game with at home) so I just leave my cards there. Since I am home right now I couldn't tell you what cards are in there, but to give you a general pic of the deck, I built it using nothing but what I've received from boosters. It's a rather hodgepodge set of cards considering most competitive players who frequent this forums probably purchase their decks. While most of the creatures in my deck are exalted, I will say that I simply just found any card I got from boosters that said exalted on text and threw it in there. Still barely got over 12 or so exalted creatures of the 16 or 17 creatures in that deck that way. No sublimes. Since I asked a question comparing two commons that most people recommended against, it also gives you an idea of the kinds of exalted cards I have in this deck. Most are commons. If I had better options, I probably would've made the appropriate substitutions without asking.

I have 4 of those guardians and 2 of the servants in my collection and I want to only keep 2 of in order to stay within 60 cards. But the likes of the exalted cards I have in my  collection are like those two. So really, I didn't give you much additional info because there really isn't much beyond that to give you. Think of it as a casual exalted deck to play with co-workers.

For those who are willing to choose between the two, which would you recommend that's closer to all-purpose than the other? If you want to recommend other cards,  I totally appreicate the suggestions, and if I pull any of those cards when I next buy a booster, I'll put them in. If they're cheap enough to buy separately, (shipping and/or taxes included), I'll consider it (I'm mostly saying this just so everyone's posts are now equally valid).

TLDR:  I build my decks using only booster packs. It's a casual deck. Most of my deck has sucky cards. Which of these two would be suck less than the other? So as to not hurt any feelings, what other card would you recommend outside of these two with close the same cmc?

To address razorborne, I'd like to link to you all the cards I have in this particular deck to give you the best idea how my deck is built, but I don't play this game outside of breaktime at work (since I have no one to play this game with at home) so I just leave my cards there. Since I am home right now I couldn't tell you what cards are in there, but to give you a general pic of the deck, I built it using nothing but what I've received from boosters. It's a rather hodgepodge set of cards considering most competitive players who frequent this forums probably purchase their decks. While most of the creatures in my deck are exalted, I will say that I simply just found any card I got from boosters that said exalted on text and threw it in there. Still barely got over 12 or so exalted creatures of the 16 or 17 creatures in that deck that way. No sublimes. Since I asked a question comparing two commons that most people recommended against, it also gives you an idea of the kinds of exalted cards I have in this deck. Most are commons. If I had better options, I probably would've made the appropriate substitutions without asking.

in that case I would recommend the guardians. you likely can't out-aggro people, and the servant is very vulnerable. trying to squeeze value while protecting yourself is likely to be your best shot.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.
Of the two, Guardians, but since you're opening M13 boosters to get at these, you should have a decent shot at getting some aforementioned Vampire Nighthawks which are loads better than either option, assuming your deck can get enough black mana sources into play to cast them early enough.
Thanks, I do have a few good cards. I mean it's a decent deck considering it's a casual deck because I have a couple end game cards like nefarox and akroma memorial. 

I do have one vampire nighthawk that I got after trading with one of my co-workers. I plan on getting additional boosters this week when I get my paycheck, so it's why I'm completely open to suggestions for alternatives. Especially if I can buy them from walmart. I prefer to get rtr or m13 suggestions if possible since those two are the sets I've invested in so far and have other decks made from both of them.

By the way, props to all of you in this community. Must be one of the most active forums I've ever posted in for at least a few years. Definitely will come back for more questions on deck building in the future. 

By the way, props to all of you in this community. Must be one of the most active forums I've ever posted in for at least a few years. Definitely will come back for more questions on deck building in the future. 

In that case, I recommend the "Casual Decks" section.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Here's a ladder.

2.bp.blogspot.com/_NDhHq2KZsCs/TTF_3TqxL...

Also ancestral recall is a 800-1000$ card, mirran crusader and nighthawk are 1.5$ and 1$ cards....  Considering the way he plays, they are actually better than what he wants to have, at a lesser price. Getting 4 of either would cost him 1-2 booster and would prove much better additions to his deck than the other 2 before, it would also remove the luck factor.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />
Also ancestral recall is a 800-1000$ card, mirran crusader and nighthawk are 1.5$ and 1$ cards....

Nighthawk is only a $1 card because of its inelasticity.

OP, have you gotten the Neforax event deck? It would give you a lot of options for your deck.
Check out my cube!
Show
My sig was so awesome it broke Browsers, [url= http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29455423/For_some_reason...]I had to remove it.[/url] Support Magic Fiction! Or Bolas will eat you
57193048 wrote:
You should never explain layers to people unless one of the following is true: they're studying for a judge exam, you're both in a Ben Affleck movie and it's the only way to save the world, or you hate them.
56663526 wrote:
We try to maintain the illusion that Magic cards are written in English.
56333196 wrote:
69511863 wrote:
Hell, if they steal from us, we'd be honored.
oh my god, AWESOME! Then changing the Slivers was your idea! haha lol
56734518 wrote:
Occassionally when catering, I've been put the task of arranging Fruit and Cheese or Grilled Vegetable platters. More than once a high class buffet has started with the mark of Phyrexia upon it. Since i've got a good eye for color so it looks great to people who don't get the "joke" (it's a niceley divided circle after all: the outline gives you 4-6 "regions" to work with), this has actually got me put on platter design more often, resulting in Phyrexia's presence at more private and industry events.
I have 6917 Planeswalker points, that's probably more than you. [c=Hero's Resolve]"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune, mana screw; they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures." Gerrard of the Weatherlight[/c]
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />
Also ancestral recall is a 800-1000$ card, mirran crusader and nighthawk are 1.5$ and 1$ cards....

OP, have you gotten the Neforax event deck? It would give you a lot of options for your deck.

Technically, Nighthawk is only a $1 card because 1) it's uncommon, 2) it's been printed in two Modern-era sets, and 3) it's been in three intro packs and a Commander deck (not to mention it will likely be in Sorin v. Tibalt).
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I’ve removed content from this thread because baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the Report Post button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.  

Technically, Nighthawk is only a $1 card because 1) it's uncommon, 2) it's been printed in two Modern-era sets, and 3) it's been in three intro packs and a Commander deck (not to mention it will likely be in Sorin v. Tibalt).

Umezawa's Jitte is still a $20-23 card despite being in a precon back in the day and banned in Modern. I think there are a lot more factors to why things are expensive than you think. 
If I may be bold enough to offer a different solution?

You have offered us a choice between Offence (Should I be attacking?) and Defense (Do I need to get things in the way). I feel we are looking for Defense here, or the question wouldn't have been asked.

As such, may I recommend that you look after some common removal instead? Murder or Avenging Arrow are commonly avalable, easily obtained through many methods, and handles the question of defense better than the Guardians does.

In the long run, getting the damage in minus the +1-+4 is better than having a creature get in the way, and being able to react to other people's plays is a valuable thing to do in magic.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Kensan, you got a point, but exalted decks are more like aggro than anything. Fairly quick death with small creatures that cannot resist much. A 2-2 double strike pro green pro black is pretty scary when it's exalted several times at turn 4 when it attacks. It's also quite a valuable blocker. Not only will it block as much as the 0/4, it will kill up 4 toughness!

And I'd probably rather have something like spirit mantle or hyena umbra over murder and whatever the other card was
While I comprehend what you are saying, I don't think the OP was thinking in terms of Modern. While I like the White enchantments (And, funny enough Angelic Armaments fits that 3 Drop space), none of those suggestions are horribly useful in Standard.

That, and there is a point where you don't really want more creatures, and more ways to deal with things. Only Senor Stompy gets to ignore spells.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
I play vintage (1 deck) and legacy (X decks that I destroy and rebuild and merge and rebuild) mostly casual. so I always look at the biggest spectrum of cards available and try to at least propose cards in modern if I cant find anything that might be only slightly sub-modern power in standard

And I'm more of a defensive type player than an offensive type player, I'll take journey to nowhere over doom blade most of the time. Just for the fact that I can journey my own things before I do a wrath
If you can get your hands on them, Fencing Ace might be a nice cheap addition to an exalted deck.  Exalted becomes a pseudo +2/+2 when he's attacking alone.

Cheers
Kind of shocked it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Silverblade Paladin is an absolute baller in exalted decks.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)

Umezawa's Jitte is still a $20-23 card despite being in a precon back in the day and banned in Modern. I think there are a lot more factors to why things are expensive than you think. 

If vampire nighthawk was only printed in one set it would be more expensive than it currently is (or will be once it rotates out of standard) in the same way if umezawa's jitte was not printed in the precon it would be worth more than it is currently selling for.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Kind of shocked it hasn't been mentioned yet, but Silverblade Paladin is an absolute baller in exalted decks.

OP has limited budget, Silverblade ~$12 a card. Not that shocking no one mentioned it.
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.

The choice offered was between two commons. I, myself, would assume Budget Player. Offering one of the meatier rares as an option typically is viewed negatively.
Are they up to 12 now? I thought they were still around the 5$ range, my bad.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
They hopped up quick like Olivia.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

I didn't know Jitte was uncommon. I also didn't know Nighthawk was the centerpiece of a number of game-winning decks.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
This thread has taken a turn for the worse, and I'm pretty sure all of us are making the OP feel bad since this is going down in his thread. 

Standard cliché, but can we just get on with our lives and agree to disagree?

We're already bordering on breaking conduct, since we've wavered so much off topic already. Why not continue this in a specifically designed thread to discuss standard 3-drops?
Servant can attack. Play with Servant.