DnD Insider Support for 4E

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I did some searching but did not come up with an answer. My apologies if this was already asked and answered.

Has there been any word on whether the DnD Insider will continue to support DnD 4E after DnD Next is released? I am mainly concerned about the OCB and Adventure Tools. I am assuming the Dragon and Dungeon content will shift to the new version once it is live.
Nice Joke...they are barely supporting 4e right now...and the sadest thing is that the DDI subscription money is probably being used to fund D&DNext...
I'd like to know the exact same thing. I'm somewhat of a newcomer to the world of D&D. I've been trying out the subscription and I'm liking it so far - I think I'm getting my money's worth. I'm wondering if I should be spending the sub money on getting more books though - when D&D Next is released, will I cease to have access to the online materials? I don't know that my group will want to convert immediately (or ever, if we don't like it).
The official word is that they would "really like to" keep supporting the 4e online tools and that there are "no plans" to discontinue them.

I don't know how long you guys have been members of DDI for, but that's code for "lol, hell no."
Of course that leads to the question of why I should buy into Next at all if they won't guarantee continued support of or access to older tools whenever a newer edition comes along.
First thing for people working on providing new features should remember: People hate change for the sake of change. They usually don't mind genuine improvements, but change just because it's change and therefore cool tends to get hackles raised. Second thing for people working on providing new 'improved' features should remember: It shouldn't be hard for users to figure out how to turn them off if they don't like them. Just because the programmer thinks he's had a great idea doesn't mean everyone else is going to agree with them.
Yesterday Trevor had this to say on this topic:

WoTC_TrevorAs for digital tools, we don't have any news on the future of the current D&D tools (beyond the fact that we want to continue to support them) or any tools for D&D Next. When we have more solid information, we'll bring it to you here.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Yesterday Trevor had this to say on this topic:

WoTC_TrevorAs for digital tools, we don't have any news on the future of the current D&D tools (beyond the fact that we want to continue to support them) or any tools for D&D Next. When we have more solid information, we'll bring it to you here.

he might as well have not said anything
Of course that leads to the question of why I should buy into Next at all if they won't guarantee continued support of or access to older tools whenever a newer edition comes along.

I have said it numerous times, but 5e fans should take note of the treatment they give 4e fans and the way they handle the 4e tools. This will be them in a few years, when WOTC makes 6e.
Dear Wizards of the Coast,

Provide the DDI tools on an updateable CD and I will pay for it so that my sons and I can easily continue playing D&D 4E.

Currently, the vast majority of my discretionary money (of which there is *very* little) goes towards my D&D 4E hobby.
  If, with D&D Next (5E), D&D Next-After-That (6E), etc. etc. I cannot continue playing earlier iterations of D&D because it has gotten so complex to build a character that many unneccessary hours of building and updating without the character builder will be required, then there's no reason for me to choose D&D over Rolemaster (which I love but is a *lot* of work).  That's one of the big appeals to Call of C'thulhu; Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay & Warhammer 40K (RPG).  It is easy to make a character and update that character.

Please choose to make yourselves some money.

Thank you.
-Bander
  a.k.a. Jerry M. Chaney II
Dear Wizards of the Coast,

Provide the DDI tools on an updateable CD

I second this suggestion.  Please, WotC, either continue to offer support for 4th edition's Character Builder and online compendium once D&D 5.0 is released or at least offer it in a downloadable format so that we can continue to easily create and play the game that so many of us love.  Please don't let the Character Builder go the way of the Virtual Table... or maybe that wouldn't be such a bad thing if another company could pick up 4th ed's character builder....

Bill Newsome

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

"In a hole in the ground there lived....my clan of halfling thieves!"

Dear Wizards of the Coast, Please do either continue support for 4E or make a DVD/CD updated with all the errata and sell it,along with the other Tools. Or sell the rights to 4E to some company that will support it. I have no idea why there was a need to do 5E or whatever it is called but I won't be spending more for another issue when it is obvious it won't last any longer than 4E has. I haven't even got to play long enough to get a character to level 22 let alone to level 30. I will add I have 25 of the 4E books and with their cost it takes a big bite out of my very small income. If several hadn't been bought for me by my son I would have even less. I love 4E, it is the only version of the game I have ever totally understood how to run and play. I've heard it called a dumbed down version and if it is then all us dummy's want to continue to play it. Thank you for your time and I do hope thousands of players ask for this version to be kept alive.
DeniseJustine
I can't believe they still have suckers paying for this.
Provide the DDI tools on an updateable CD and I will pay for it so that my sons and I can easily continue playing D&D 4E.

Except they don't want you to keep playing 4e.

I can't believe they still have suckers paying for this.

I know, right?
     Along with many others I am sure, I am watching very carefully to see how 5th edition and the availability of 4th edition's on-line tools, develops.  Currently, the ease of use of the character builder is the primary reason we still play 4th edition.  If the support for 4th edition drops and we would end up having to go through tons of books and spend extra time to create our characters, our 4th edition days will end.  We are a group of fortysomethings with full-time jobs and families and the extra time just does not exist.  And I am sure the supreme powers draw a line from that, to us marching into 5th edition.  Sadly for them, that will not be the case.  After much discussion, we have decided that if the on-line tools for 4th go, so do we.  Having walked with one foot in the D&D pond, and the other in the Pathfinder pond for years, it will be the nail in the D&D coffin.  This is not intended to be a "we are taking our toys and going home" threat, or another of an inumerable amount of posts about how nerdragious the current state of things are.  Having rage and strong feelings about something is, at the very least, an indicator that there is still love for something.  Currently, and with much regret, I have to say our love of the D&D brand is in it's twilight and our feelings, such as they are, have dwindled to Apathy.  
     For myself, I have loved and supported  D&D since the mid 70's.  I loved the game, and each of it's itterations, even 4th edition's tangental forray into new territory grew on me after a time.  I would love to continue to support the brand by continuing to play 4th edition, but without access to the Character Builder at least, I don't see that happening.  
     The message behind D&D Next seems to be "We want you to play D&D how you want to play."  Hopefully there is no hidden subtext that also says "So long as you play D&D Next how you want to play."  
     I truly do understand the desire to have everyone jump aboard for the newest thing Wizards has in store for D&D, but as history has shown, there are always alternatives for those of us who don't care to tag along with every shiny new ride.   I sincerely hope Wizards continues to support 4th edition play by allowing access to the 4th edition tools so that those of us who don't wish to play D&D Next can still enjoy them.  It would be a relatively small bone to throw with a boundless return of goodwill from the fan-base.  
     I used to love D&D.  I would like to again.