Optimization Advise on My Defender-Barbarian (Berzerker) PC

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Please help me optimize my Defender-Barbarian (Berzerker). I'm playing in a resurrected campaign and get two lvl 6 and one lvl 2/7 magic items and lvl appropriate gold (820gp):
---------------------
Level 5 - Half-orc - Barbarian (Berzerker)

AC 22 (24 with Poised Defender class feature; I know if evaporates with defender aura when I enter rage)
Fort - 20 (bought Badge of Berzerker +1)
Ref - 18 (Badge of Berzerker +1)
Will - 13 (Badge of Berzerker +1)

HP - 57
Surge Value - 9
Initiative - 6    
Ability Scores - 20/13/18/8/10/10     

Background:
Half-orc First Generation (+2 Bluff)

Theme:
Iron Wolf Warrior
Lvl 1 Benefit: gain Iron Wolf Charge encounter
Lvl 5: +2 nature & +2 perception

Class Features:
Temperate Land
Lvl 1 Benefit: +2 dmg when charging w/ one-handed weapon & shield
Lvl 4 Benefit: +1 speed while charging

Feats:
Lvl 1 - Toughness
Lvl 2 - Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword)
Lvl 4 - Heavy Blade Expertise

At-Will:
Jarring Smash
Run Down

Encounter:

Savage Cut
Brutal Slam

Daily:
Life-ending Strike
Rage of the Crimson Hurricane
Ignore Pain

Magic Items:
Lvl 7 - Marauder's Hide Armor +2
Lvl 6 - Challenge-Seeking Weapon +2 (Bastard Sword)
Lvl 6 - Iron Armbands of Power +1
Lvl 2 - Badge of the Berzerker +1 (bought)
Most people are more used to reading the standard character-summary so you might get more help if you post it in that format.

I for one don't think much of the challenge seeker weapon, you want a more reliable property. 
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
I'd really try to get a 13 Wisdom in there so you can take Battle Awareness - someone violates your aura, you get an extra swat once per encounter. That also allows for a power swap for Come And Get It - suck a whole bunch of targets into your aura all at once while attacking Will. As noted in the other thread, a Flail is a good choice - I'd use the Alhulak(+3/1d8)

You might want to consider Elemental Initiate, as Disciplined Counter is fantastic for flattening someone who missed you if you're a Flail wielder. That establishes a good initial catch-22:
Violate my aura and take an interrupt(Battle Awarness) and an OA(Berserker Aura)
or
Attack me and likely miss and likely be knocked prone and take damage. 
I for one don't think much of the challenge seeker weapon, you want a more reliable property. 

Suggestions?

I'd really try to get a 13 Wisdom in there so you can take Battle Awareness - someone violates your aura, you get an extra swat once per encounter. That also allows for a power swap for Come And Get It - suck a whole bunch of targets into your aura all at once while attacking Will. As noted in the other thread, a Flail is a good choice - I'd use the Alhulak(+3/1d8)

You might want to consider Elemental Initiate, as Disciplined Counter is fantastic for flattening someone who missed you if you're a Flail wielder. That establishes a good initial catch-22:
Violate my aura and take an interrupt(Battle Awarness) and an OA(Berserker Aura)
or
Attack me and likely miss and likely be knocked prone and take damage. 

THis is massively helpful! Thanks!
Level 6 weapons are kind of barren, and I would suggest you don't dip down to level 5 for a better mod, since you'll be moving to a +1 rather than +2. I like Sacrificial Weapon - you still get a d6 crit and you have a decent daily power for someone who probably has more surges than he needs.