Dragon 418 - what's Dragon about it?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Dragon magazines supposed to contain content for players? All I see when looking at DR418 is stuff for DMs: introducing the Tarrasque in your campaign, creating inns and taverns, tapestries for the walls (yes, srsly) etc. See for yourself. Not even a new theme?

Is this a trend? Is there no reason at all for players to check the magazines anymore?
This have been going like that for a long time...

btw...Wondrous Weavings: Tapestries of Power sounds like the most stupid thing ever released on Dragon Magazine during the "4e era"...and yes, i do include the anal probe aliens from april's fool.  It feels almost like an insult for the DDI subscribers (3 of them being players on my group who are 4th active players) 
it appears they are going back to the way the mags have historically been: adventures only in dungeon, everything else in dragon. this is just a hunch, but the dungeon editorial description supports this

"We’ve published 209 issues of Dungeon and exactly double that number of Dragon issues. Let’s celebrate by taking the magazines back to their roots."

it is also possible that there is player content in some of the other articles, we wont know for sure til it comes out, but maybe there is a tarrasque cultist theme, for example.

It is also possible that there is player content in some of the other articles, we wont know for sure til it comes out, but maybe there is a tarrasque cultist theme, for example.

I'm not holding my breath.

It is also possible that there is player content in some of the other articles, we wont know for sure til it comes out, but maybe there is a tarrasque cultist theme, for example.

I'm not holding my breath.

Good choice.

The blurb in the back of Dragon #417 mentions that there is a Tarrasque Cultist theme....

....for monsters. What is a "monster theme" anyways? Isn't that called a template?

....for monsters. What is a "monster theme" anyways? Isn't that called a template?

Templates pretty much got dropped early on when monster rules were still being hammered out in favor of monster themes. Themes are basically just a set of guidelines and powers that the DM can add in to change a monster as they desire. Not all of the changes of a theme need to be used the same way those of a Template did, so it's a bit more open and easier to use as a result. Themes also don't change the vital stats such as HP or defenses, so less math issues involved.
Eh, I'm just excited that the tarrasque is getting revamped. About frigging time.
Eh, I'm just excited that the tarrasque is getting revamped. About frigging time.

+1

I can't believe they waited this long. One of the most popular monsters in all of D&D was left to the sunset days of the edition. A revised tarrasque should have been in MM3 or the MV. But beggars can't be chosers and I'll take what I can get. I'm eagerly looking forward to smashing my epic tier campaign with this beast.

+1

I can't believe they waited this long. One of the most popular monsters in all of D&D was left to the sunset days of the edition. A revised tarrasque should have been in MM3 or the MV. But beggars can't be chosers and I'll take what I can get. I'm eagerly looking forward to smashing my epic tier campaign with this beast.

I think you should be excited to smash your heroic tier players with the monsters from my article!
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon

Templates pretty much got dropped early on when monster rules were still being hammered out in favor of monster themes. Themes are basically just a set of guidelines and powers that the DM can add in to change a monster as they desire. Not all of the changes of a theme need to be used the same way those of a Template did, so it's a bit more open and easier to use as a result. Themes also don't change the vital stats such as HP or defenses, so less math issues involved.

Pretty much this.

Templates also had the issue in that it turned monsters into elites, which isnt what you always wanted.

Monster themes just stripped out the silly 'direct math increases' and instead provide flavorful powers to bring out what you really wanted a template for.     
What the hell, next month has a Wining Races: Hobgoblins article? Kinda awesome actually
Sign In to post comments