deathtouch vs. damage reduction

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
how does a creature with deathtouch matchup against a creature that reduces damage to zero?

So creature one reads any amount of damage it does to another creature kills it.  Blocking wall reads all damage is reduced to zero.  So in essence no damage is done to wall or is the damage still done before it is reduced to zero?  Does the wall die or not?  

I am guessing that the wall dies since the damage is done before being reduced to zero, correct?     
If damage is reduced to 0 or prevented (ie. Fog Bank, Benevolent Unicorn, then no damage is dealt. In order for a creature to be dealt lethal damage via deathtouch, damage must be dealt - that is, 1 or more damage.

As such, if Fog Bank blocks Vampire Nighthawk, the Fog Bank will not die. 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
Check the current Oracle text of your cards in Gatherer because there are no cards that "reduce damage to zero" by the current wording.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Check the current Oracle text of your cards in Gatherer because there are no cards that "reduce damage to zero" by the current wording.

In fact, there is NO card that reduces damage whatsoever. Some cards prevent damage; others replace it with a different amount.
Benevolent Unicorn is not actually reducing the damage; it's replacing it with a reduced lesser amount, which could be zero!!!

When someone has an imaginary friend, we call it mental sickness. When a bunch of people have the same imaginary friend, we call it a religion.

Sign In to post comments