Petrify question

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
One of our group got petrified by a Beholder Ultimate Tyrant this session. We couldn't find any way of getting unpetrified except through a remove affliction ritual after the battle was over and we brought him to a city. The problem is it says that if you were petrified, that after you get healed of that condition you make a heal check against his level to see effects or something. But if your heal check is zero or under you die fully. My friends heal check is only 12 and the Beholder is level 29. He had to roll a 17 not to have his character die. He didn't roll a 17 or above so he died.  We tried to raise dead but that will not work on someone who is petrified. Are we playing this the right way? If the beholder can use his power to petrify twice every round how is this not ridiculous that level 26+ characters can just die from one hit?

Please explain exactly how petrify works and how to get unpetrified without dying completely.

thanks 
The CASTER of the ritual makes the heal check, not the target. So whatever NPC you got to do it for you would make the check. Secondly, even if the target dies as a result of the check, the petrification is still cured, so raise dead will work normally. The penalties based on the heal check are independant of the removal of the affliction which happens no matter what.
One of our group got petrified by a Beholder Ultimate Tyrant this session. We couldn't find any way of getting unpetrified except through a remove affliction ritual after the battle was over and we brought him to a city. The problem is it says that if you were petrified, that after you get healed of that condition you make a heal check against his level to see effects or something. But if your heal check is zero or under you die fully. My friends heal check is only 12 and the Beholder is level 29. He had to roll a 17 not to have his character die. He didn't roll a 17 or above so he died.  We tried to raise dead but that will not work on someone who is petrified. Are we playing this the right way? If the beholder can use his power to petrify twice every round how is this not ridiculous that level 26+ characters can just die from one hit?

Please explain exactly how petrify works and how to get unpetrified without dying completely.

thanks 

It's impossible for a level 26 character to have a heal check of only +12.  What?
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
No it's not.  8 or 9 Wisdom.  Granted, this means you started out with nonstandard ability scores, but I wouldn't say it's "impossible."
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
No it's not.  8 or 9 Wisdom.  Granted, this means you started out with nonstandard ability scores, but I wouldn't say it's "impossible."

You can't have 8  or 9 wisdom at level 26 (using point buys of course, rolled scores would be another matter); you get 2 tier-based +1 to alls.  The absolute minimum for a non-penalised skill check at 26 is half-level=13.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I believe I said that, yes?
Not really, no.  Under the advised, point-buy-or-array rules, it's impossible to have 8 or 9 in any stat at Epic, which is what you pointed out as possible.

Are you completely incapable of reading what I wrote?  Even after quoting it, and being pointed back to it again?
Evidently.

Long day.

Also, don't use nonstandard ability scores.
Sorry, we were level 24 not 26, mistyped.
Sorry, we were level 24 not 26, mistyped.

still should be a near-trivial check.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here