The long night is over, and the dawn heralds our salvation. Editing the "Fiery Dawn" intro pack.

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
So if you saw my golgari thread, you know that I am new to magic. I bought a few of the intro packs, and now im working on making them more playable. I bought the Fiery Dawn pack, and I love the theme of the deck, with the small humans rallying together to fight outside their weight class.

I took out the cards that are not standard legal, as I would like to maybe play this at a FNM (doesnt have to be super competitive). I put in some cards that I pulled that seemed to fit the theme.

12 x Mountain 
12 x Plains

3 x Thatcher Revolt
1 x Pacifism
1 x Zealous Strike
1 x Pillar of Flame
1 x Commander's Authority
1 x Gather the Townsfolk
1 x Cathars' Crusade
2 x Vigilante Justice

3 x Riot Ringleader
3 x Goldnight Commander
1 x Unruly Mob
2 x Thraben Valiant
2 x Elite Inquisitor
1 x Devout Chaplain
2 x Ash Zealot
2 x Kruin Striker
2 x Kessig Malcontents
1 x Zealous Conscripts

The pamphlet that was included said to include Champion of the Parish, and it does seem like a great addition. What would you guys reccomend to increase the playability while still keeping the theme? 
the Unruly Mob will get counters from the Thatcher Revolt because they are not exiled but sacrificed, so I would bump both cards up to a full set of four. I would try to get more Zealous Conscripts and Cloudshift so you can keep using her ability. If you pair her with Conjurer's Closet then the creature you take from your opponent will stay yours permanently instead of returning to them in the end step. So Other cards like Traitorous Blood and the like will let you take their creature, then you flicker it with the Closet and keep it
hope this helps
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I am very happy to hear that unruly mob and thatchers revolt interact so well, I love those two cards!

I saw a card that seemed good for the deck, Increasing Devotion. how well does this card work in play?
If you can get the mana for it, then it is great, especially with Champion of the Parish
also Gather the Townsfolk
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Before I start making suggestions, I'll give you a bit of info on the R/W color combo.

This color is fast. Blazingly fast. However, it's creatures get outclassed very easily. A Centaur Healer will give you untold problems, and god help you if they resolve anything with 4 toughness. Because of this, your goal is to kill them dead ASAP. More often than not, you will end the game with some burn to the face, after your creatures have done their deed.

To keep this deck fast, we want to try to keep 3 mana as the top of the mana curve. I will make some concessions to 4 mana for the sake of cards you already have, but anything over that is going to be too slow.

Since you are newer, lets keep this mega-budget friendly. I'm going to use as many cards from your list as possible, only adding when absolutely neccessary.

The land count is ok. You could go lower if you had duals, but this will do in a pinch. Not having access to duals means that double colored cost cards like Elite Inquisiter and Ash Zealot are going to be more difficult to cast.

[deck]
3 Riot Ringleaders
3 Goldnight Commander
2 Kruin Striker
2 Kessig Malcontents
1 Zealous Conscripts
[/deck]

Of the creatures you have, these are the best. Thraben Valiant is just not that impressive, and Unruly Mob will likely take too long to become a real threat. Devout Chaplain's ability isn't worth it, and as good as they are, Elite Inquisitor and Ash Zealot are both going to be very hard to cast. You can keep them in, but just realize that you may end up with hands where they are uncastable. Since this is an aggro deck, lets bump up the creature count with some effiencent beaters.

[deck]
4 Doomed Traveler
4 Azorius Arrester
1 Kessig Malcontents
[/deck]

Doomed Traveler is still one of the best humans available, giving you two creatures for the price of one. He's annoying to kill, and most people won't waste removal on him until it's too late. Azorious Arrester performs two critical functions. 1, shes a human. BONUS. 2, she gets your creatures through annoying blockers AND protects you when you swing. Kessig Malcontents is this decks reach, and we definately want another one of them.

Lets move on to spells.
[deck]
3 Thatcher Revolt
1 Gather the Townsfolk
1 Pillar of Flame
1 Pacifism
[/deck]
All of these are solid inclusions. Thatcher Revolt and Gather the townsfolk interact very well with many of your cards. Pillar of flame clears out annoying blockers. With 24 land and 20 creatures, we have room for 16 spells. Those spells either need to pump your guys, or get blockers out of the way. We'll add a bit of both.

[deck]
3 Gather the Townsfolk
3 Searing Spear
1 Pillar of Flame
2 Rally the Peasants
1 Pacifism
[/deck]
Gather is good enough that haveing 4 is pretty much required. The number of interactions here make it a big player. I kept thatcher revolt at 3 because it isn't permanent, and 3 mana is actually a relevantly high cost for this deck. It's not bad, but you don't want a lot of them clogging your hand. Searing Spear handles anything with 3 toughness, which is a key number in the current standard format. Pacifism handles anything else, so having two copies won't hurt. Rally the Peasants is your haymaker. This card will outright end games for you, and it being instant speed means you can swing with all your small guys and make your opponent guess if you have it.

Here's the overall (sample) deck. Remember, this is just to give you an idea of how a R/W aggressive deck should work: Fast and furious.

[deck]
11 Mountain
13 Plains

4 Doomed Traveler
4 Azorius Arrester
2 Kruin Striker
3 Riot Ringleader
3 Kessig Malcontents
3 Goldnight Commander
1 Zealous Conscripts

2 Pillar of Flame
4 Gather the Townsfolk
3 Searing Spear
2 Pacifism
3 Thatcher Revolt
2 Rally the Peasants
[/deck]

I kept the land count to 24, but skewed it a bit towards the plains since there are a lot of early W spells in the deck. Obviously this will change depending on the cards you select.

Here's a few final pointers:

1) R/W is aggressive, but has smaller creatures, usually with low toughness. Getting damage through early while they can't block is key!
2) R/W decks need some sort of burn to close games out. Eventually, you won't be able to swing without losing a large portion of your forces, so you will need a way to reliably do the last 5ish points of damage.
3) Every card in the deck should be dedicate to either getting your creatures to connect OR burning your opponent. Cheap ways to remove pesky blockers are very, very important here.
4) This is a bit of "advanced" advice, but it's something you should learn. In a deck like this, you need to make sure your hand has something to do every turn (with maybe an exception for turn 1, but you really want to play a creature if you can). Be prepared to mulligan aggressively, since a slow hand will be very hard to win with!
5) Unless it will kill them, don't spend burn on players. Save it for their creatures. Your creatures are a source of repeatable damage, so making use of them takes priority.

Hope this all helps!
thanks for the replies everyone! gives me some good ideas on how the deck plays/where I should be heading card wise. gotta wait for my next check to pick up some singles
You should definitely be on the lookout for Clifftop Retreats. Good mana fixing is very important for aggressive decks, where stumbling for a turn can spell your doom.
an alternative to blasting your way through with burn is mass boosts fx rally the peasants or riders of gavony (hellrider if you have $$), I wouldnt play ringleader, hes really bad tbh^^

depending on your deck increasing devotion can be good or great here. its never/rarely a bad card, but its a little slow if you dont runt mass boost and/or creatures that immediately benefit like champion of the parish or kruin striker.
ive been on the recieving end of hellrider, and it was pretty brutal, though it doesnt go with the theme of the deck that I want to make. I have a Riders of Gavony and was thinking of putting those in my deck. does that effect stack if you cloudshift it?
Nope, those effects are linked to the permanent granting them. As soon as Riders leaves the battlefield, the effect ceases to exist. Shifting it will let you change the creature type, but wont let you get multiple instances of the effect.
your theme is small creatures in large numbers in a fast assault, how does hellrider not fit? flavorwise i dont think its difficult to think of a reason for a powerful demon to be ganging up with red humans, and even white guys....ut up to you
So I went to my local game store and picked up some singles. I wasnt able to afford some of the cards I needed, and some he didnt have. Some of these cards are just placeholders until I can get others. tell me what you think.

10 x mountain
12 x plains

3 x Thatcher Revolt
3 x Searing Spear
2 x Pillar of Flame
2 x Bonds of Faith
2 x Rally the Peasants
2 x Cloudshift
1 x Gather the Townsfolk

4 x Kessig Malcontents
2 x Fervent Cathar
2 x Unruly Mob
4 x Selfless Cathar
3 x Goldnight Commander
4 x Kruin Striker
3 x Riot Ringleader
1 x Zealous Conscripts
I chose Bonds of Faith over Pacifism because of the added utility of +2/2. If the opponent has a human, I can probably deal with it in another matter. Still trying to get more Townsfolk. I chose Fervent Cathar over the Azorius Arrester due to flavor reasons. Still looking for 4 Champion of the Parish. Let me know how it looks
speakingform experiences...one pascifism... is almost useless.
well I have more than 1 in the deck