Contest: Green evasion

50 posts / 0 new
Last post
Now, green's supposed to have the most efficient creatures. But I noticed that we have, um, issues:

Trample: Green gets trample on small things where other colors get trample on big things. Guess which one's more relevant.
"Cannot be blocked except by creatures with flying": This and reach make me wonder why green doesn't just have flying.
Intimidate: So far, it's been on two green cards. One was in an artifact set, and one was the night side of a werewolf card (meaning I'm sure it would be great in a land destruction deck, if TPTB were interested in making such a thing playable again).
Landwalk: Possibly the most irrelevant rule since bands with other. AFAICT, the most relevant application of landwalk is Lumbering Satyr, which coincidentally makes all creatures have forestwalk, which is kinda bad news for anyone playing green.

I want to see what you came up with. I already have two mechanics in mind.

Contest ends Friday.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I hate how White never gets flying on their big creatures.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

"Can't be blocked by creature with power less than ~"?

Not very common, but I think its mostly in green.
Tentative thoughts I've decided I like this enough to be my submission:

Intercept (After blockers are chosen, if this creature is attacking, you may have target blocking creature block this creature instead.)

Tel-Jilad Ambusher |
Creature -- Elf Warrior
First strike, intercept (After blockers are chosen, if this creature is attacking, you may have target blocking creature block this creature instead.)
2/1

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Spectral Bear
Creature - Bear
Spectral (This creature may only be blocked by creatures with flying or reach)
hur  dur
2/2
Deathtouch is normally considered a form of evasion as well.
Apex Predator

Creature-Beast
Creatures you control must be blocked if able.
Creatures you control have trample and can only be blocked by two or more creatures.
He eats the food chain.
6/6    

Thanks for ignoring that four colors get flying. But only green gets trample on 1/1s (well, red too, but that's more of a 1+*/1 anyway). Compared to Archdemon of Greed, Thraben Militia, Akroma, Angel of Wrath, hell, even Leviathan.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
Primeval Titan
Carnage Wurm
Woodcrasher Baloth
Arrogant Wurm
Elderscale Wurm
etc

Green gets plenty of trample across all rarities and sizes.
Rare or mythic, nearly all of them, in any case. Prime Time's more useful for other reasons. Carnage Wurm is a 6/6 for 7 or a 9/9 for 7 depending on if I get any damage through. (Hint: I won't.) Avatar of Might costs eight mana or two mana, but this isn't Woe or Will. Madness is good, but kinda parasitic, no?

Anyway, this is showing how we can make it viable for limited.
139359831 wrote:
Hurricane Sparrow
Creature - Bird (M)

Flying (This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.)

"Hurricane Sparrow descending, priests are repenting . Hurricane Sparrow departing, I'm farting priestesses are parting."

1/2

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Hurricane Sparrow
Creature - Bird (M)

Flying (This creature can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.)

"Hurricane Sparrow descending, priests are repenting . Hurricane Sparrow departing, I'm farting priestesses are parting."

1/2

Cute, but Storm Crow jokes get old when green had it first.

I shouldn't let Mown rankle me the way he does. *dismisses Mown thusly*
139359831 wrote:
the extra green "evasion" would be super-trample
and it's only on green creatures right now:
Pride of Lions
Spinebiter
Deathcoil Wurm
Gurzigost
Lone Wolf
Rhox
Thorn Elemental
Tornado Elemental
Wolf Pack

and then one green spell and one red spell:
Predatory Focus
Outmaneuver

as for an official, keyword name for it...... i'd go with "Undercut"

so:

Darkwood Leveler
Creature - Beast
Undercut (You may have this creature assign its combat damage as though it weren't blocked.)
: Regenerate Darkwood Leveler.
The bogs of the Wood were not formed by rains.  They were dug.
6/4
I hate how green never gets big dudes with trample too.

All of the ones in other colors you mentioned were rare or mythic as well except Thraben Militia. There is plenty of green evasion at any level (most of the listed ones are rare/mythic because I remembered those best), so...
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20796.jpg)
"can assign combat damage as though it hadnt been blocked" is pretty spiff, although honestly id rather just kill their dude usually.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

Personally, I think Intimidate is by far the best choice; it's a keyworded mechanic already, and it really suits green. It should be a lot more common than it is in green.
The fact green and red destroy artifacts make Intimidate very nice for them.

Dire Bear
Creature- Bear
Intimidate
2/2

But assuming you want something not yet keyworded:

War Wurm 
Creature - Wurm
Momentum (~ cannot be blocked except by two or more creatures)
5/3
I think intimidate is a fine choice, but there's already an evasion mechanic moving into green. MaRo's said on his tumblr that they're considering making wandering wolf effects more common. The Thorn Elemental ability is really cool but it seems like they're doing away with it.

But screw it I'll come up with a (yes, very powerful) keyword:

Savage Bear |
Creature - Bear
Maul (When this creature does damage to another creature, it does that much damage to that creature's controller.)
Its claws are not marked so much with runes as they are with blood.
2/2
im not very good at making cards, but i've had an idea about an evasion ability for a long time & it seems to be green more than anything.

burrow (this creature can only be blocked by creatures with burrow)

its kinda like flying, except it isnt bothered by reach... 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Seriously? You have to make a contest for this now?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c1b8574f03c7cff35d72311f1208599a.jpg?v=90000)
Wurm Hatchling
Creature - Wurm (C)
Tunneling (Tapped creatues can block this creature. Untapped creatures can't.)
2/2

This is an evasive mechanic I recently made for a custom set, meant to primarily be in green (secondary in black and red). It's not itself strictly evasive, but makes blocking a lot harder when combined with non-tunneling creatures. However, initial reactions were mixed, and there were concerns that combat would be too complicated. I still think it has potential, but I've decided to test it a bit before expanding/developing it.
Wurm Hatching
Creature - Wurm (C)
Tunneling (Tapped creatures can block this creature. Untapped creatures can't.)
2/2

This is an evasive mechanic I recently made for a custom set, meant to primarily be in green (secondary in black and red). It's not itself strictly evasive, but makes blocking a lot harder when combined with non-tunneling creatures. However, initial reactions were mixed, and there were concerns that combat would be too complicated. I still think it has potential, but I've decided to test it a bit before expanding/developing it.

give all flying creatures tunneling and see what happens in play test

I think landwalk is the way to go for green evasion

Unexplored Borders Sorcery
Search Your Library for 2 basic lands and put them into play tapped then give control of one of the lands to an opponent
~"who knows what's up that creek?"
Now, green's supposed to have the most efficient creatures. But I noticed that we have, um, issues:

1. Trample: Green gets trample on small things where other colors get trample on big things. Guess which one's more relevant.
2. "Cannot be blocked except by creatures with flying": This and reach make me wonder why green doesn't just have flying.
3. Intimidate: So far, it's been on two green cards. One was in an artifact set, and one was the night side of a werewolf card (meaning I'm sure it would be great in a land destruction deck, if TPTB were interested in making such a thing playable again).
4. Landwalk: Possibly the most irrelevant rule since bands with other. AFAICT, the most relevant application of landwalk is Lumbering Satyr, which coincidentally makes all creatures have forestwalk, which is kinda bad news for anyone playing green.

I want to see what you came up with. I already have two mechanics in mind.

Contest ends Friday.

1. Primeval Titan and Treetop Village say hi!
2. Because they never have the both abilities on the card. Then it would be flying.
3. Given: intimidate is certainly meh in general (even when it was Fear).
4. Eh . . . you need to play Legacy Merfolk then . . . since every merfolk can be given Islandwalk via a lord or two and most competitive decks in legacy are heavily blue-based.

Anyhow, since I do agree that green should get natural flyers, I'll submit an entry.

Relentless Wurm -
Creature - Wurm
Whenever Relentless Wurm is blocked by a creature, put a token that is a copy of it onto the battlefield tapped and attacking. At end of turn, exile that token.
One way or another, it and its family will feast.
6/6

Green attrition ... classic.
tunnelling is super interesting.  my worry is that yeah, combat would become insane, but how different is it from shadow, really?  the tapped untapped thing is really unique, but what it comes down to that that their critters who hang back to block cant, and their attackers can.  creates really interesting decisions, especially with a board full of these dudes, and a bunch of cards with interesting tap abilities.  also, i think you can afford to make tunnelling creatures more powerful, since in a lot of situations, it is a drawback.

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

A creative hub for art and all things Magical, Dungeony, and Dragony!

Feel free to copy this into your sig, adding one to the generation number.

Generation=0

Undercity Wurm
Creature - Wurn
You may have Undercity Wurn assign its combat damage divided as you choose among creatures blocking ~ and defending player.
With Selesnyan riders and Golgari tunnels, it can strike anywhere, at anything.
6/6

The idea here is that this is an upgrade on Rhox. The wurm can go destroy the defenders, go for the face, do both, whatever it likes. Mechanically, it can deal damage normally, tramble, Rhox, or in even stranger ways as the situation demands. Also, I think it is at the right power level when compared to Vorapede and Wolfir Silverheart.
Won a TPmanW contest with Demonic Arbitrator. (see below) My username is a simple continued fraction. Look it up. My favorite cards I've made:
Show
Æther Rider Creatuere - Spirit (U) Vanishing 0 (This permanent enters the battlefield with zero time counters on it. At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from it. When the last is removed, sacrifice it.) Flying : Put a time counter on ~. Any player may activate this ability. It comes on the wind, from realms unknown. 2/2 Kaldurian Behemoth Creature - Beast (R) Mana produced by lands may not be used to pay ~'s mana cost. Trample On Kalduria, the beasts are too good to eat common grass. 10/10 Demonic Arbitrator Sorcery Starting with you, each player may pay any amount of life. If any player paid life, repeat this process. If a player paid more life in total than any other, that player searches his or her library for a card and puts that card into his or her hand. Then that player shuffles his or her library. "Your sacrifice has been judged worthy. What power do you require?"

Thanks for ignoring that four colors get flying. But only green gets trample on 1/1s (well, red too, but that's more of a 1+*/1 anyway). Compared to Archdemon of Greed, Thraben Militia, Akroma, Angel of Wrath, hell, even Leviathan.

That would be all cool and well if it was correct, but green has more 4+ power creatures with trample than white has with flying, and you'll have to try pretty hard to convince me white doesn't have a lot of angels.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Blob from Beyond
X
Creature-Ooze
Blob from Beyond enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
Unstoppable Force — 
Blob from Beyond is unblockable as long as its power is 5 or greater.
Not only the grace of Avacyn is all consuming.
1/1
im not very good at making cards, but i've had an idea about an evasion ability for a long time & it seems to be green more than anything.

burrow (this creature can only be blocked by creatures with burrow)

its kinda like flying, except it isnt bothered by reach... 

Congrats, you made shadow in green.
tunnelling is super interesting.  my worry is that yeah, combat would become insane, but how different is it from shadow, really?  the tapped untapped thing is really unique, but what it comes down to that that their critters who hang back to block cant, and their attackers can.  creates really interesting decisions, especially with a board full of these dudes, and a bunch of cards with interesting tap abilities.  also, i think you can afford to make tunnelling creatures more powerful, since in a lot of situations, it is a drawback.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. From initial reactions (here), it seemed the mechanic appealed to players who like the strategic intracacies of combat, but there were also a lot of players who prefer not to think too heavily about combat every turn. I liked the fact that ":" is a sort of like "tunneling reach." Also, you're right, being sometimes a drawback is good because I can cost it neutrally or better on a card, and give green the cost-effective fatties it wants for limited.

Board complexity wise, it is quite a bit different from shadow though. Since most shadow guys are basically Tormented Souls that occasionally block one another, but otherwise swing in unimpeded every turn.
Rare or mythic, nearly all of them, in any case. Prime Time's more useful for other reasons. Carnage Wurm is a 6/6 for 7 or a 9/9 for 7 depending on if I get any damage through. (Hint: I won't.) Avatar of Might costs eight mana or two mana, but this isn't Woe or Will. Madness is good, but kinda parasitic, no?

Anyway, this is showing how we can make it viable for limited.

Fine. Common and uncommon.

Yavimaya Wurm
Game-Trail Changeling
Garruk's Companion
Elvish Herder
Festerhide Boar
Primal Rage Your whole team gets trample forever for two mana.
[c]RANCOR[/C]

deathtouch kills creatures with trample
Oakhorn Stag 
Creature - Elk
Magesty (When this creature enters the battlefield, tap all other creatures.)
Haste
When the lords of nature stir, all bow in hesitation.
5/5

Based off of Timbermare.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Based off of Timbermare.

Which was based off of Thundermare.

Baleful Wurm
Creature-Wurm
Deathtouch, trample
5/5

Best evasion ever: kill the blocker for 1, let the rest through.

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14 (haven't been able to attend any FNMs or prereleases for 18 months now, no sense maintaining RA status)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

friday seems impossibly far away....
Based off of Timbermare.

Which was based off of Thundermare.

Yeah, and I know Wizards feels it's more of a Red effect, but I like it more in Green.

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

I think intimidate is a fine choice, but there's already an evasion mechanic moving into green. MaRo's said on his tumblr that they're considering making wandering wolf effects more common. The Thorn Elemental ability is really cool but it seems like they're doing away with it.

But screw it I'll come up with a (yes, very powerful) keyword:

Savage Bear |
Creature - Bear
Maul (When this creature does damage to another creature, it does that much damage to that creature's controller.)
Its claws are not marked so much with runes as they are with blood.
2/2

Maul seems like more in the red pie than the green one
Maul seems like more in the red pie than the green one

Nah, it's just taking greens creature ability to assign damage as though it weren't blocked to its logical conclusion.

The Wandering Wolf ability just seems like the best, honestly. When you see something significantly larger than you barreling down, the last thing you want to do is get in front of it.

However, to stay on topic, I'd like to see this, which is sort of a reverse evasion. The creature in question isn't evasive, but his effects makes the opponent less likely to block anything else.

Savage Brushwagg |
Creature - Brushwagg

Savage (Whenever ~ becomes blocked, it deals damage equal to its power to each other creature assigned as a blocker this combat).

2/2
Herding Wurm

Creature - Wurm

Soulbond (You may pair this creature with another unpaired creature when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as ~ is paired with another creature, that creature has Lure. (All creatures able to block that creature do so.)

After hunting the Wurm for three days, the explorers were surprised instead to find a Sheep stained in urine.

7/7
Swiftfang 
Creature - Wolf (U)
Poise (This can't be blocked as long as you control a permanent that shares its name with a permanent controlled by defending player.)
Caution need only be heeded in the face of the unknown.
2/2

CR entry
702.RC.1. Poise<br /><br />702.RC.1a Poise is a static evasion ability found on creatures. "Poise" means "This creature can't be blocked as long as you control a permanent that shares its name with a permanent defending player controls."<br /><br />702.RC.1b Any number of peramenents sharing names will allow poise to work.<br />Example: Dave controls an Island and an Underground Sea and attacks Tom with a 1/1 creature with poise. Tom also controls an Island and an Underground Sea. If Tom were to Boomerang his Island to hand, he'd still control a permanent that shares a name with one of Dave's, leaving the 1/1 unblockable.<br /><br />702.RC.1c Poise abilities don't cancel each other out.<br />Example: Jane controls a 1/1 creature with poise. She attacks Tiffiany, who controls the same 1/1 creature with poise. She can't block Jane's attacking creature because they share the same name.<br /><br />702.RC.1d Multiple instancese of poise are redundant.
Trample implies a very large creature.  I designed a couple of mechanic that plays into that flavorfully as well since I was tired to always having to use Trample as my only real option.  The idea is the creature is so big it doesn't even notice tiny creatures swatting at it.

Colossal X (If this creature would be dealt X damage or less from a single source, prevent it.)

Hugemongous Fungus
Creature - Elemental
Colossal 2 (If this creature would be dealt 3 or less damage from a single source, prevent it.)
If damage dealt to Hugemongus Fungus is prevented, create X 1/1 green fungus creature tokens where X is equal to the damage dealt.
6/5

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/