Wizard / Sorcerer Vampire

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, we are in a dnd party with my friends and we have 2 wizards, me and 1 of my friends. he is chaotic good, and he wants to be made a vampire, is that possible anyone knows?

Sure, find a vampire and have it bite him. 

If 3.X there are easy rules to apply a template to his PC that adds vampirism. I don't recomend you use them because it is a super power up at little to no cost, when added to an existing PC in a party.

in 4e there are no rules for this, and so I won't recomend you not use them. Instead ask the DM to make some stuff up.

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"

"Your advice is the worst"

Yeah but how about the alighment? i read that vampires must be evil and the party is good
must be 3e.  4e doesnt care about alignment.
in 4e there are no rules for this, and so I won't recomend you not use them. Instead ask the DM to make some stuff up.

There arent, but he can talk with the DM and remake his character as a Vryloka Wizard/Sorceror Hybrid in 4e's case.

In 3e it sets your alignment to evil. But remember I suggested you ignore those rules anyway. 4e has no rules, so there are no rules for alignment change. 

But the "vampire with a soul" trope is tried and true enough by this point its almost up there with two weapon fighting drow rangers in "if you play that again we will hit you" scale in regards to how common it is. 

Off the top of my head Twilight (the cullens), Angel, Spike, debatibly Alucard from helsing, definatley police girl from helsing, blade, the Forgiven... 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"

"Your advice is the worst"

Wouldn't say Alucard from Hellsing, but Alucard from Castlevania...definitely.  Arguably a few of Anne Rice's vampires, too.  Louis, for sure.

Also, the 3e rules regarding vampires basically boils down to this: Doing what a vampire needs to do to survive (i.e. feeding off of-and probably killing-other sentient humanoids through draining of blood and energy) will eventually lead one down a slippery slope of moral compromise that will be incompatible with a Good alignment, and likely lead to an Evil one.

Unless one had some amazingly unusual resources at hand.  A vampire working with the Blood of Vol in Eberron could be supplied with blood from volunteers on a regular basis.  Of course, anyone high up enough with the BoV to be granted vampirism is likely evil anyway... 
Also, the 3e rules regarding vampires basically boils down to this: Doing what a vampire needs to do to survive (i.e. feeding off of-and probably killing-other sentient humanoids through draining of blood and energy) will eventually lead one down a slippery slope of moral compromise that will be incompatible with a Good alignment, and likely lead to an Evil one.

Unless one had some amazingly unusual resources at hand.

And even then, a newly risen vampire spawn is the psychic slave of whoever killed him until the master himself is killed (or chooses to free the spawn), so if you want to avoid being corrupted by decades in the service of evil, you would have to get killed by a vampire with the specific intention of your party killing him as soon as you wake up. Given that vampires have a +8 racial bonus to Sense Motive, he would probably just kill you to avoid the trouble.

Odds are, if 4-6 people can't figure out an answer you thought was obvious, you screwed up, not them. - JeffGroves
Which is why a DM should present problems to solve, not solutions to find. -FlatFoot
Best defense that I've read in favor of having alignment systems as an option
Show
If some people are heavily benefiting from the inclusion of alignment, then it would behoove those that AREN'T to listen up and pay attention to how those benefits are being created and enjoyed, no? -YagamiFire
But equally important would be for those who do enjoy those benefits to entertain the possibility that other people do not value those benefits equally or, possibly, do not see them as benefits in the first place. -wrecan (RIP)
That makes sense. However, it is not fair to continually attack those that benefit for being, somehow, deviant for deriving enjoyment from something that you cannot. Instead, alignment is continually attacked...it is demonized...and those that use it are lumped in with it.

I think there is more merit in a situation where someone says "This doesn't work! It's broken!" and the reply is "Actually it works fine for me. Have you considered your approach might be causing it?"

than a situation where someone says "I use this system and the way I use it works really well!" and the back and forth is "No! It is a broken bad system!" -YagamiFire

Unless one had some amazingly unusual resources at hand.

And even then, a newly risen vampire spawn is the psychic slave of whoever killed him until the master himself is killed (or chooses to free the spawn), so if you want to avoid being corrupted by decades in the service of evil, you would have to get killed by a vampire with the specific intention of your party killing him as soon as you wake up. Given that vampires have a +8 racial bonus to Sense Motive, he would probably just kill you to avoid the trouble.

The cheap and easy way around that, especially with an existing PC, is that his/her allies kill the Master Vampire before the PC fully awakens from his/her transformation.  So the new vampire wakes up having never been enslaved at all, and thus no immeditae alignment change.  The course of time, however, will likely still result in an alignment shift, even in that situation, as I mentioned before.
How about Alucard from Stoker's work, or Alucard from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? Wait, someone beat me to the punch.

I think if you're looking at the manga or Hellsing: Ultimate, you could make a pretty good case for a "soulful" Alucard.
You play in 4Ed?, then get your friend the Vampirisme Multiclass feat, or the Vampire lineage Feat.
How about Alucard from Stoker's work, or Alucard from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? Wait, someone beat me to the punch.

I think if you're looking at the manga or Hellsing: Ultimate, you could make a pretty good case for a "soulful" Alucard.

There was no Alucard in the original Dracula.

And I was thinking of Hellsing: Ultimate/Hellsing Manga.  Alucard is even more bloodthristy and crazy in those versions than in the first Hellsing anime.