Hybrid power selection

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm making a hybrid fighter/sentinal druid, with the intent of having a fighter with an animal companion. I'm not really interested in having Druid powers, just that class feature. The online CB locks me into selecting powers from the sentinal class at various levels, presumably because I've taken so many fighter powers. By RAW, are hybrids required to actually select powers from both classes, or is it just a CB issue?
Yes they are. If you have more than one powers in a given category (at-will, encounter, daily) you must have one of each class.
I'm making a hybrid fighter/sentinal druid, with the intent of having a fighter with an animal companion. I'm not really interested in having Druid powers, just that class feature. The online CB locks me into selecting powers from the sentinal class at various levels, presumably because I've taken so many fighter powers. By RAW, are hybrids required to actually select powers from both classes, or is it just a CB issue?

if you just want an animal companion, try the fey beast tamer feat

if you just want an animal companion, try the fey beast tamer feat

I guess you're referring to the fey beast tamer THEME, not a feat.  Unfortunately, we do not use backgrounds or themes in our current campaign.  I haven't found any feats that would grant me that ability, so I don't think I have any options besides the hybrid druid/fighter.
It might be a moot point anyway, since my DM might let me take just the fighter powers.  Does anyone see a reason why it might break the game if we do that?

Put another way, does anyone know why the hybrid classes are required to use powers from both sides?  If it's a balance issue, I can understand, but; if it's just thematic, that seems a little presumptuous on WotC's part to make that decision for me.  Thoughts?  Thanks!
yeah i meant the theme, sorry. you could take the shaman multiclass feat that gives you the spirit companion and reflavor it rather than hybrid (forget the name). the only other feat i can think of is taking a roundabout way to arcane familiar, but those arent really the same thing. as for hybrids, its def a balance issue. if you could just poach class features with no penalty you could make absurdly broken pcs, like just make every single character that doesnt get plate and shield a hybrid cleric to get battle clerics lore.

as you cant use themes, to me it sounds like you should talk to your dm and see if there is some way he will let you find an animal companion, maybe within the story. maybe you could pay someone in a city for a trained animal. ask the dm. worth a try.
yeah i meant the theme, sorry. you could take the shaman multiclass feat that gives you the spirit companion and reflavor it rather than hybrid (forget the name). the only other feat i can think of is taking a roundabout way to arcane familiar, but those arent really the same thing. as for hybrids, its def a balance issue. if you could just poach class features with no penalty you could make absurdly broken pcs, like just make every single character that doesnt get plate and shield a hybrid cleric to get battle clerics lore.

as you cant use themes, to me it sounds like you should talk to your dm and see if there is some way he will let you find an animal companion, maybe within the story. maybe you could pay someone in a city for a trained animal. ask the dm. worth a try.

When I took the hybrid option for my fighter, I lost quite a few goodies, including surges, hit points, armor proficiencies, and fighter talent.  It took a few feats just to get close to the baseline fighter (chainmail proficiency, toughness, hybrid fighter talent), though he lacks Combat Superiority and is still a little weaker than he othewise would be.  So it's not like I simply added the Animal Companion feature to a full-fledged fighter, I made sacrifices to get that feature.  I still kinda think it's not game-breaking to just take the fighter powers, having made those sacrifices to get the other feature, though others may disagree.  (I'd love to continue this dialogue, so keep responding please!  And thanks so far!)

Anyway, as I said earlier, my DM is quite flexible, and will probably be okay with this approach.  I just like to get things as close to RAW as possible before discussing variations...
theres no denying that a fighter/druid is a sub-optimal hybrid choice. you will always fare better if the primary stats align, or if there is at least some decent synergy with proficiencies. in your case, if you are insisting on hybriding druid, fighter is a poor choice. you are better off at least using wisdom as your primary so you can at least use the druid powers you have to take. so maybe there is another class that can be close enough to a fighter for you to play. like a warden. or maybe a warpriest. if you cant live with that, tell your dm you feel strongly about the fighter with an animal companion, and he can either let you take the theme or find a way to work you having an animal into the campaign.

to be brutally honest, if your dm was truly flexible, you would already have the fey beast tamer theme. short of that, you can take a less than perfect solution, or ask him to make an exception. its really not that big a deal. i know you want to be close to raw, but you cant be bc he wont let you. so just ask for an animal companion and play a fighter. or pick a better hybrid class.
theres no denying that a fighter/druid is a sub-optimal hybrid choice. you will always fare better if the primary stats align, or if there is at least some decent synergy with proficiencies. in your case, if you are insisting on hybriding druid, fighter is a poor choice. you are better off at least using wisdom as your primary so you can at least use the druid powers you have to take. so maybe there is another class that can be close enough to a fighter for you to play. like a warden. or maybe a warpriest. if you cant live with that, tell your dm you feel strongly about the fighter with an animal companion, and he can either let you take the theme or find a way to work you having an animal into the campaign.

to be brutally honest, if your dm was truly flexible, you would already have the fey beast tamer theme. short of that, you can take a less than perfect solution, or ask him to make an exception. its really not that big a deal. i know you want to be close to raw, but you cant be bc he wont let you. so just ask for an animal companion and play a fighter. or pick a better hybrid class.

Oh I wasn't saying anything about OPTIMAL character design! Tongue Out  I'm just looking for nearly RAW, to use as a jumping off point.

To be honest, the overall build for the character is pretty sub-optimal: Hybrid brawling fighter/druid sentinel with a warlock multiclass (Sorcerer-King Pact)!  The flavor of the animal companion is going from primal wolf to infernal Rottweiler, the multiclass feat gives me the Hand of Blight power (plus Insight, which is more flavor that just destroys the char-op potential!), and he uses a spiked gauntlet that's being reflavored into an eeevil claw (muahahaha!).  We play a low magic item campaign with no inherent bonuses, but the DM builds his encounters to accommodate, so optimization is not necessary (and is kind of discouraged if other options would allow something more interesting for the plot, hence the MC warlock feat).  (We also get one or two pretty potent, fully homebrewed magic items to keep it interesting...)

Basically he's a shadowy, tainted brawler, which makes the fighter class critical to the character; if I were to dump either of the hybrid classes, it'd be the druid, not the fighter.

BTW, we started the campaign before backgrounds and themes came to our attention, so that's why we're not using them.  I'm sure I could incorporate something like the Fey Beast Tamer theme with some modifications, but just building the character as I've done (with all fighter powers) would probably be fine, and works for me.

Also BTW, I managed to get all fighter powers through the CB by first leveling up to 11th (where he will enter the campaign), and then adding the powers backwards from 10th level down to 1st.  It got "angry" and told me I've customized the power selections with the orange flag, but it still worked fine.

Anyway, thanks again for the dialogue!
Sign In to post comments