Looks like I'm Banning Rogues from My Games

So this is the relevant part of the legend and lore article."You can think of these as nonmagical effects that would still require a saving throw or an ability contest to resist. For instance, Shalandra the rogue might contest her Charisma against an ogre's Wisdom. If Shalandra wins, she can trick the ogre into charging forward and blundering into a trap."

This is okay for non intellegant creatures, but there is no valid reason an intellegant creature should have to fall for such a thing. Nor do I like the idea of such a creaturing being tricked into having to charge forward and into a trap. This should be part of the roleplaying part of the game. Anything like magic shouldn't be given to martial classes and forcing a monster/npc to act in a certain way without being magically compelled is just a breakdown in logic.

This makes the third time the rogue has been messed up, going from bad to worse to somehow even worse. And would also make the first time I have ever banned a class from a game, but I have no desire to deal with a non-magical hypnotist while running a game. If my villian wants to attack the wizard cuase the wizard just burned him with burning hands, he should have the complete option (as an intellegent creature) to completely ignore the rogue no matter what. 

I think this would also qualify as my first "ragequit" for Next, though it is caused by the issue occuring three times in a row with the rogue always causing problems. 

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

I think D&D needs a theme song like Skyrim. 
A song that basically describes D&D.  

Imagine Queen singing that to the sound of scraping records...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I suppose one might imagine this... 

Always loved Judith's work. You should go pull up her collaboration she did with those other two girls, the Guild Wars 2 theme, "Fear Not This Night." If you haven't already heard it that is. The duet she does with Gavin aka Miracle of Sound is sweet as well. Hell, MoS is a fantastic singer in his own right. Writes his own music too.

Imagine Queen singing that to the sound of scraping records...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I suppose one might imagine this... 

Nice, but a tad much on the reverb.

At least it's not as bad as Enya. 
NPC vs NPC: There really no point since the DM control the story unless he rolling for randomness.
PC vs NPC: Like how it suppose to work. It's what this whole system design for.
PC vs PC: No just no. There no way your character going to intimidate my character unless he got
a big axe.  

I really need a rule lawyer on this. What some of you guys are saying that a rogue with high CHA and presuda skill can pretty much tell a low wisdom fighter to do whatever he wants.  

I to see how many friends you be making at the table when your smooth talking pimp character is
forcing other player's characters to do what he wants.  

No, it can work this way. You can use Persuade/Intimidate/Seduction against anyone. They don't have to do what you want. If they don't, though, then they take a penalty for acting a different way. The doubt, fear, desire you put into their mind means that they aren't able to act as effectively as they normally would. Mechanically that would be a penalty to your Expertise Dice, Spell Save DCs, Monster damage, or some other feature characteristic of your class. Act at a few levels lower for a while, until you get over it. 

These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead. Playing: Legendof Five Rings, The One Ring, Fate Core. Planning: Lords in the Eastern Marches, Runequest in Glorantha. 

[video=1503413]
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
another malukah song.

[video=1515851]

I'd love to see a collaberation between her and Opeth for a DnD theme song.

[video=1515853]

Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome

And For the Humor... well just roll a d6.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Always loved Judith's work. You should go pull up her collaboration she did with those other two girls, the Guild Wars 2 theme, "Fear Not This Night." If you haven't already heard it that is. The duet she does with Gavin aka Miracle of Sound is sweet as well. Hell, MoS is a fantastic singer in his own right. Writes his own music too.

Thanks for that link ... yes you are right that duet rocks... How come I suspect a Skyrim movie and a Assassins creed movie would realy put a highlight on how truly bad the D&D ones really have been.

Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

True ture, D&D movies do suck. 

But the main reason why it's because nobody cares about saving the village from an evil
dragon god. Why it can't be about players like in Gamers? 

But the main reason why it's because nobody cares about saving the village from an evil

Many of the epic movies out there say otherwise.

They just need to make  DND movie about established characters, and/or make it with a real budget and actors.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:

They just need to make  DND movie about established characters, and/or make it with a real budget and actors.

Let's hope they never attempt to make a D&D film again.

Why?

The first one was hilariously reminiscent of teenage DnD campaigns, the second was...there, and apperently the new one is a decent movie.

And none of them had a real budget or serious actors/directors/etc.

WHo cares, anyway? Oh no! the DnD movies aren't good! Dispair! Meh. They're entertaining, so long as you're willing to not be a film critic while watching them.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:

You are a little late. The Book of Vile Darkness is being made for SyFy

I think this is the major reason that the movies have done so poor. Also Vancian magic in a movie is even more rediculous than in a game. What needs to happen is a Drizzt movie, that would be awesome, but also not goign to happen until WotC gets a real budget.

Yeah bingo.

They have a lot of great D&D stories out there. The dragonlance chronicles, the FR Avatars trilogy. They have things that would be cool to make movies about. Unfortunately when it comes to actually making a D&D movie, they usually go with some generic plot in a generic fantasy world nobody cares about. Then to top it off, they get crappy actors giving an over the top campy performance.

It just comes off as the director not even caring about the quality of film he's producing.

I would like to see a Darksun movie with a certain primary actor who plays D&D and does action flicks, to hang with it not being a standard D&D world, bring on the distinctive bite.

I would like to see a Darksun movie with a certain primary actor who plays D&D and does action flicks, to hang with it not being a standard D&D world, bring on the distinctive bite.

That woudl actually be awesome.

Kickstarter for a real D&D Movie anyone? 

Actually, it's already been made and released.

Is it as horrifying as it sounds?

I watched it.  It wasn't so much "bad" as it was disjointed.  Honestly, it was pretty watchable until you realized that there was five minutes left and nothing of importance had been resolved and would have to be crammed into the last five minutes (and it was!).

EDIT:  It had some pretty horrible gaming cliches.  The main character went to a shop called the "Adventurer's Vault" and proceded to point and buy a bunch of random named magical items.  He also stuffed a dead body in a bag of holding.  Necklace of fireballs makes a really stupid appearance....

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

It was the best of the three.  And, yes, it was pretty bad.

It was the best of the three.  And, yes, it was pretty bad.

So, par for the course...

If the rate of improvement continues as it has been, we should have a mediocre movie by D&D 12.

I'd love to see a Ravenloft film.  A return to real horror, not gore and violence calling itself horror.  Plus, Strahd co9uld give vampires their balls back after the whole Twilight sparkly bishounen crap.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

I'd love to see a Ravenloft film.  A return to real horror, not gore and violence calling itself horror.  Plus, Strahd co9uld give vampires their balls back after the whole Twilight sparkly bishounen crap.

D&D ummm well pseudo horror fantasy has ummm just never did anything for me.. I thought back in the day it felt a bit like an excuse to bash on werewolves and vampires with swords, instead of actually being horror based. It was just a prejudice and I cant really say exactly where it came from.

I guess I can just take your word for it though.... the D&D trapings are not personal enough for me to see it as supporting good horror. I actually thought the book Alien was terrifying back in the day... so obviously I dont need a completely non-fiction environment.

I'll tell you what's missing in a D&D movie. Hot dwarven chicks. 
oops it appears Im really late too

Why?

Because they are revolting embarrassments to film.

You're taking any number of things, including films and possibly life in general, far too seriously if you can make that statement with a straight face.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
So I am like totally going to ban rogue from my game.
I mean, who sneaks and disable traps these days?

With enough muscle, grease, and hit points, we can fight anything.

Wizard: How do we get around the trap?
Fighter: We don't. We go through it.  

Sounds like my Minotaur Warden's solution to doors.

Why?

Because they are revolting embarrassments to film.

You're taking any number of things, including films and possibly life in general, far too seriously if you can make that statement with a straight face.

Ha, I thought it was rather droll; those "films" should be cast back into the crappy chasm from whence they came! *said like Hugo Weaving*

lol bah. There's a solid place in the world for movies not meant to be taken seriously.

That's why I consider the first movie to be better than the second. The first wasn't trying to be taken seriously, and it was entertaining as a result. The second wanted to be taken seriously, but was merely entertaining instead.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:

Sounds like my Minotaur Warden's solution to doors.

Wizard: This door seems to be magical.
Rogue. This door have no lock. >.<
Fighter: Is the walls magical?
Wizard: No
Fighter: Guess what we're doing today. :D

lol bah. There's a solid place in the world for movies not meant to be taken seriously.  

Yeh as the figurehead of a game that gradually fades from the public eye in to obscurity.... 

Yeh as the figurehead of a game that gradually fades from the public eye in to obscurity.... 

Bull. The mainstream audience has never seen any of the DnD movies. Whatever fantasy movies are big at a given time will draw people to DnD.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote:
I'm in agreement with Vic. 100%. While were at it, all terrible movies should be gathered on an island and then summarily nuked.

Bull. The mainstream audience has never seen any of the DnD movies. Whatever fantasy movies are big at a given time will draw people to DnD.

And they wont either in an act of self fullfilling prophecy..... or maybe those will draw them to WoW or something else

If they can make a similair movie like Gamer or at least support it, I would be happy. 
Just an FYI: Wizards has no control over the movies.  TSR sold the movie rights to Courtney Solomon in the early 1990's.  When Wizards bought TSR's rights, it no longer included movie rights.  All Wizards can do at this point is tie-in their products to Solomon's crappy movies.
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />
I'm all for whimsy in movies, just not blatant crapola (not even entertaining by accident).

Great. Since the movies aren't examples of blatant crapola, what has this to do with the current topic? :P
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
104340961 wrote: