Disarm opponent?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been looking for the rules on this, but I cannot find them anywhere; books or compendium. I would like to know what checks I'm supposed to make to disarm someone in combat. So far I've only been able to house rule it and that is about it. 

If you could, please, let me know source of the rules too. 
There are no rules for disarm, because it's one of the most destabilizing effects you can apply to the entire game system.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Not entirely true; there are a few specific powers which disarm (a 23E for the Fighter, and several monsters) but they're really, really obnoxious and should be avoided.  There are no general rules.

This is what flavour is for - if I apply a big penalty to hit or damage, it could be because I knocked the guy's sword out of his hand and he's attacking with his backup weapon, for instance.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I've been looking for the rules on this, but I cannot find them anywhere; books or compendium. I would like to know what checks I'm supposed to make to disarm someone in combat. So far I've only been able to house rule it and that is about it. 

If you could, please, let me know source of the rules too. 

Disarming is out for the same reason called shots are out. Intelligent monsters will realize that it is a superior tactic, and your PCs will be getting penalized left and right. Disarming a monster, in addition to requiring you to figure out what its unarmed or improvised attack stats are, will probably result in a 10% reduction in accuracy, and a similar reduction in damage. Disarming a PC will result in a 10-30% reduction in accuracy and a similar reduction in damage due to PC dependence on magic items.

This would be almost as bad as giving every monster a Daze attack. It will frustrate your players to no end, and it will create lots of extra work for you.

Instead, almost any attack that applies a debuff can easily be described as "disarming the opponent."

Awesome, thank you for the response! I just wasn't sure why it wouldn't be in the rules. But, this all makes a ton of sense. Thanks for the swift response!
From the forum FAQ, if desired:
"How do you disarm someone? The writers purposefully left out disarming as a basic option (although some powers like 'Exorcism of Steel' allow it). However, when an enemy is defeated you can describe them as disarmed (or crippled, subdued, unconscious, pinned, tied up, etc.) instead of slain (addressed in WotC’s Podcast #29)"