Previews: December In the Works

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Previews
December: In the Works

By Bart Caroll

Hi folks, And so here we've come to the end of 2012, and with it another full year of bringing you the latest announcements, organized play and playtest information, and Dragon and Dungeon magazine material, all courtesy of dungeonsanddragons.com! It's been a tremendously rewarding year, and it remains an enormous privilege to be a part of our collectively cherished game, Dungeons & Dragons. Before we look ahead at 2013, I wanted to take a moment to look back at some of the events that took place throughout the year as far as the website is concerned.

Talk about this previews here.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

So, 2012 basically sucked. 2013 looks to be even worse. I hope 'unifying' the fan base will be worth it. Just remember Mr Mearls some of us actually liked 4th and supported it. D&D Next will not be 4th- a module tactical kit is crap compared to full 4th edition releases.

No matter how 'great' D&D Next will be the profits will not hit Hasbro expectations. Paizo is D&D- fans run the system, not a corporation and definitely not Mearls.

Lets see- 5 to 6 releases a month, prepainted Miniatures, game aids, metal miniatures, Paizo has it all. They have a NICHE for all their fans and will not cancel a line because it didn't hit an inane profit goal. WotC can't compete with Paizo. I don't like Pathfinder but I find myself rooting for them- mostly because they don't have a Mearls who killed my edition for a stupid notion of 'unifying' the fan base.
So.. coming out next year there are... some minis I might want, if it weren;t for the fact that I don't yet own Dungeon Command, and I'm getting a massive pile of them from Reaper anyways.

Good to know I can save my money.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
reprints of stuff i already own

looks like ill just be buying tiles and maps again this year

There is nothing in which I am remotely interested coming in those six months.

On the other hand, if there were a 4E book in there, it would not be on my FLGS shelf for longer than a day before I owned it.

I have not bought a single D&D related product since Into the Unknown. I used to spend $150 + a year on D&D books. This year, through June of 2013, $30. I don't think I'm the only one. We understand that you need to design and test the next iteration of D&D, but until you are ready for release, the upcoming edition and the current edition are not and should not be mutually exclusive.

Wizards, you have people who will spend money if you produce 4E material. If you don't produce it, they will spend that money elsewhere. Heck, I grew to hate 3.x by the time it ended, and I'm seriously looking at Pathfinder right now.
I used to get a discount from my FLGS due to all the 4E material I bought putting me over a given threshold (this was back when WotC was releasing something new every month). I didn't make the threshold this year and it looks like I won't again this year either.

Frankly, I think that if the D&D brand is big enough to support various board games and Dungeon Command, it should certainly be big enough to support both 4E AND Next (its not like Hasbro only sells one type of board game after all).

Because let's be honest... The true goal of Next is not to unite the fanbase. It's to unite all of the fanbase's MONEY in their coffers. A much easier way to do that would simply be to continue support of 4E while beginning to release new product for the previous editions as well (including products that can cross editions... such as campaign settings and adventures... think of the page count padding they could get away with by incuding seperate stat blocks for each edition for the likes of Elminster and Drizzt).

Because let's be honest... The true goal of Next is not to unite the fanbase. It's to unite all of the fanbase's MONEY in their coffers. A much easier way to do that would simply be to continue support of 4E while beginning to release new product for the previous editions as well (including products that can cross editions... such as campaign settings and adventures... think of the page count padding they could get away with by incuding seperate stat blocks for each edition for the likes of Elminster and Drizzt).

Unfortunately for this idea, The WOTC idea is to put our money in their coffers and keep it there, not spend on more products.  It takes money to support the additional versions and WOTC is much better off if we all play 5e. 
     Since we won't be that united, WOTC has to at least think about support for other versions, but each additional edition costs, and additional revenue is a question mark.  That makes the idea of supporting other editions a very dicy idea.  4e might be an exception for now since it is so long until 5e, but industrywide we see the old editions getting no love.  We can't hope for much for 4e either.
it doesnt appear that 4e was making enough money or meeting enough expectations to keep it going. lots of people hated it. that doesnt make it a bad game. there are all sorts of classic, amazing games that dont get made any more. if you were really expecting a 4e product in this article, i could have told you to stop fooling yourself. there is no more 4e support coming out except the mags. well, that and organized play. i expect the next few enounters seasons will be for 4e and 5e-perhaps 5e only starting in august to tie in w the new 5e adventure. so the next couple of seasons. that will give them time for a couple of lair assaults. soon (perhaps by august, certainly by next winter) it will be all 5e preview stuff in the mags. so realistically you have the mags for around 6 months, a couple of encounters seasons, and a lair assault or two, as far as NEW official 4e support. thats it.
it doesnt appear that 4e was making enough money or meeting enough expectations to keep it going. lots of people hated it. that doesnt make it a bad game. there are all sorts of classic, amazing games that dont get made any more. if you were really expecting a 4e product in this article, i could have told you to stop fooling yourself. there is no more 4e support coming out except the mags. well, that and organized play. i expect the next few enounters seasons will be for 4e and 5e-perhaps 5e only starting in august to tie in w the new 5e adventure. so the next couple of seasons. that will give them time for a couple of lair assaults. soon (perhaps by august, certainly by next winter) it will be all 5e preview stuff in the mags. so realistically you have the mags for around 6 months, a couple of encounters seasons, and a lair assault or two, as far as NEW official 4e support. thats it.

Whatever, I don't care about anyone else's expectations or their weird limitations in what they will play or anything else. I just know that there's jack being made by WotC anymore that is interesting. Give me new 4e stuff or stop bothering to send me these useless "In the Works". There's NOTHING IN THE WORKS.

That is not dead which may eternal lie
oh, i could care less what others think about 4e. im just saying if you really expected to see 4e in that article, you were kidding yourself.
oh, i could care less what others think about 4e. im just saying if you really expected to see 4e in that article, you were kidding yourself.

I'm saying I'm going to keep telling WotC they can either make 4e stuff or kiss me and all the other people that seem to play with me fond farewell because were on to other things. Yes, I realize they are too idiotic to actually make products they can sell, but you can always hope...

I'm saying I'm going to keep telling WotC they can either make 4e stuff or kiss me and all the other people that seem to play with me fond farewell because were on to other things. Yes, I realize they are too idiotic to actually make products they can sell, but you can always hope...

i hear ya
Everyone needs to accept the fact that WotC is done with 4e. Asking for new books is pointless at this point. WotC is going to ignore you. You have been written off as the cost of transitioning to a new edition.

What we really need to do is push WotC to wrap up 4e properly so that it can be kept useful into the future for those of us who want to keep playing it. There's some errata that needs to be put in place and more importantly, an offline version of the final cleaned up and fully errataed compendium, character builder and monster builder. That is the real future of 4e at this point, not new books.

WotC has clearly made their mind up about new books, but the future of digital 4e is probably not yet locked in stone. Time to focus our efforts on that instead of things we clearly can't change.
the problem is...they are still using the cash from DDI subs...
Everyone needs to accept the fact that WotC is done with 4e. Asking for new books is pointless at this point. WotC is going to ignore you. You have been written off as the cost of transitioning to a new edition.

What we really need to do is push WotC to wrap up 4e properly so that it can be kept useful into the future for those of us who want to keep playing it. There's some errata that needs to be put in place and more importantly, an offline version of the final cleaned up and fully errataed compendium, character builder and monster builder. That is the real future of 4e at this point, not new books.

WotC has clearly made their mind up about new books, but the future of digital 4e is probably not yet locked in stone. Time to focus our efforts on that instead of things we clearly can't change.

Yeah, I disagree. It is just a business. If enough people scream loud enough...
the problem is...they are still using the cash from DDI subs...

+1 and I'm one of them. Unfortunately I seem to be addicted to the Monster Builder and the Compendium. I have worked out other means for the character builder. I'm speaking with the rest of my dollars by spending a ridiculous amount with Paizo right now. I wish that WotC wanted those dollars that I used to spend with them, but they seem to be ok with my moderately discounted DDI sub (I pay yearly). If I can find a suitable replacement for the other tools, I will drop my DDI in a heartbeat. And it pains me to say that because there are so many folks within the company that I like and respect a lot.
So true, what was said above- unifying the fanbase's money and not really the fanbase itself.

I'd recommend Wizards do something for their dwindling 4th base or they run the risk of alienating a significant slice of their 'fan profits'.
What we (as 4e fans) really need to do is find a new home outside of the wizards boards and start a fan-based community separate from here. Then wizards might, maybe, start to actually see some measure of the number of players/fans they're going to lose completely without supporting 4e.

I don't actually think they'll start supporting 4e then, but the benefit is that it will be a win-win situation for us. We will have already have established a thriving 4e community of our own to continue to support the game when Wizards cuts us off completely.

Frothsof has already started this to some extent, but I think that developing his site a bit more to include a communal aspect might be worthwhile.

What we really need to do is push WotC to wrap up 4e properly so that it can be kept useful into the future for those of us who want to keep playing it. There's some errata that needs to be put in place and more importantly, an offline version of the final cleaned up and fully errataed compendium, character builder and monster builder.

While I agree with this, I doubt its going to happen.  They have known about the obvious problems that need fixing for years because they asked us and we told them in a nice easy to use outline. 

They fixed some of it and ignored the rest.  They aren't going to suddenly fix all the obvious gaps at this point, especially since a lot of it regards preessentials stuff.

At this point I doubt WOTC is going to get any more of my money unless they release a good video game.  I have bought Basic, 2E, 3.5, and 4E, but at this point I am done and not interested in starting over again.  I was an very early playtester for Next, but gave up on that when I saw it was bringing back a lot of stuff I was glad was gone and then they got rid of the online game table.
What we (as 4e fans) really need to do is find a new home outside of the wizards boards and start a fan-based community separate from here. Then wizards might, maybe, start to actually see some measure of the number of players/fans they're going to lose completely without supporting 4e.

I don't actually think they'll start supporting 4e then, but the benefit is that it will be a win-win situation for us. We will have already have established a thriving 4e community of our own to continue to support the game when Wizards cuts us off completely.

Frothsof has already started this to some extent, but I think that developing his site a bit more to include a communal aspect might be worthwhile.

Actually the problem right now is there's too much of this going on. I know of 4-5 of these sites already that are all vying to be some sort of new home for 4e, but yet not one of them has any viable level of activity. There are 10 different people writing 4e-likes or even 4e clones. Some of them are actually not bad in various respects, but my guess is none of it will go far. The dust has to settle, and that will require a year or so. Eventually some few sites will emerge as durable 4e resources that have sufficient interest to continue and enough material to be worth reading. There are just too many people out there now that are into the buzz of it all, but won't persist. Maybe Frothsof is the one, I dunno. I usually get a log in to these sites, but I have to say most of them look dead after 2-3 months.

Maybe Frothsof is the one, I dunno. I usually get a log in to these sites, but I have to say most of them look dead after 2-3 months.

I definitely appreciate that yall have maybe checked out my blog, but I really dont have a desire to try and make a forum out of it. I will eventually be soliciting 4e fans for homebrew material for my free fanzine, but other than that, I have no real plans to do anything "communal" with it. In my opinion, Wizards' site is still the best forum bet as far as just 4e discussion is concerned. It just has a built-in crowd. There are a couple of other forums out there that are ok for specific things, like the off-line tools and online gaming, and I certainly wouldnt want to discourage anyone from trying something, but I am really just interested in keeping a blog and putting out some free 4e stuff as a hobby.