Commander 2.04 is a FREE Commander League on Gatherling.com. It is open to all, playing Commander with the built-in Commander filter. Newcomers are always welcome. Matches will be best 2 out of 3, using the Commander Duel play structure with a 60 minute timer. Please select to allow watchers. To find a match please type "/join Commander" at any text box in MTGO. In addition to the standard Commander banlist produced and maintained by the Rules Committee, this league is also instituting a ban on the following cards: Dream Halls, Hermit Druid, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Mana Crypt, Mana Drain, Mana Vault, Necropotence, Serra Ascendant, Sol Ring, and Survival of the Fittest. This environment is about fostering the fun of everybody involved, and these cards named above are notorious for creating “unfair” or “lop-sided” game states. If a player is found with any banned cards in their deck, they will be issued a match loss versus their current opponent and will be allowed to switch out the offending card(s) with a basic land of their choice.
Additionally, Edric, Spymaster of Trest is banned as a commander. A player found using Edric as their commander will be issued a match loss. They will be allowed to switch out their commander once for another legal option(but the rest of their main deck must remain unchanged). Edric, as a card, will still be legal for use as a part of the ninety-nine.
Registration is currently open. Gatherling Commander Event 2.04 will start Saturday, December 8th 2012. Each Gatherling Commander Event will last one week; the tournaments will always start on a Saturday and end the following Sunday evening(to allow a little more time to get as many matches in as possible). This also then allows for a one week “cool down” period between events where players may switch out decks, perform edits, and just otherwise further strategize to be ready for the next event.
Registration is currently open. To register go to www.Gatherling.com --> Gatherling and log in (or register), go to your Player CP, and in the middle of the left column click the reg link! A form to enter your deck list will then come up. Enter your deck list. Do not play any matches until you enter your deck list. If you do not enter a deck list, you will be disqualified and dropped from the tournament. This is enforced in order to facilitate learning and strategy development from the current meta-game, as well as aid our sponsors in marketing for the event.
NOTE - Late registrations are always welcome but realize that the later you start, the harder it will be to get your matches in, as players will become less active after they get some matches completed. To reg late just leave a "reg" message right here in this thread. You do not have to play all the matches. Feel free to play however many you like.
Once the event starts, players will have until one minute before the next event's start time to face each other player in one match apiece. Upon completion of each match, place the results in this thread here to get credit. Only the winning player needs to report the result. To find a match type "/join Commander" at any text box in MTGO. This is a very easy way to find your matches without much difficulty, the only other alternative being to add every person as a friend and go from there. It’s your choice, but I recommend using the Commander room more often as well.
Unless it is a special or alt event, Gatherling Commander uses the built-in Commander duel filter with the named changes here in this post. If MTGO says your deck is legal, and it contains none of the cards mentioned here in this post, then it's legal for this league. This does require some slight self-moderating in order to make sure you don’t put the above named cards above in your deck, which are not flagged by the client as being banned, so build carefully.
Commander is SINGLETON! Make a 100 card deck (99 cards plus your one Commander) with no more than 1 English copy of any given card (except basic lands).
There are 30 tickets worth of prizes every event! 15 tickets from Gatherling.com and $15 worth of bot credits from The MTGO Bazaar! These prizes will be distributed as follows:
1st 10 bot credits
2nd 8 bot credits
3rd 6 bot credits
4th 6 bot credits
Donations for Top 4 and door prize are always appreciated, as is contributing to larger prize pools for Season Championships. Please PM Dabil in game if you have something you wish to contribute.
There will be one round of League play in which each participant is allowed to play each other player once. The time frame is one week. This will hopefully introduce a much more casual gaming environment, one where players can easily find another match without waiting for the host to process results.
After one week, the top 4 scores as computed in Gatherling will be awarded medals with the top player winning a Trophy which will permanently be displayed on your player profile. The tournament will end regardless of whether people have completed all of their matchups. This is due to time constraints and to reward those who play often. Note that a person who has won half of 20 matches will have more points than one who has won 100% of nine matches. Gatherling awards 3 points for a win and -1 points for a loss.
• The registered players will be listed here in this thread once the event starts since you cannot see the other players decks or registrations until the tournament ends. The order of matches will be up to each individual and availability of opponents. Feel free to use this forum or MTGO PM system to set up a date/time with any given opponent.
• Remember that each Gatherling Commander Event will last exactly one week. Get those matches in! We are going to try and extend this deadline through the weekend so instead of ending sharply on Saturday, we will end on Sunday evening to allow for one extra weekend for players to get their matches in. Hopefully this will make it easier for other players to have a better shot of catching up in points before the event is done. This tournament operates by highest total points, NOT necessarily the highest win percentage! You will receive 3 points for a win and -1 points for each loss.
• Tables must be made using the Commander Challenge filter, a sixty-minute timer, "best 2 out of 3", Watchable, and labeled "Gatherling.com Commander". And remember, the more we publicize these matches, the more participation we will get! So feel free to invite anyone who likes playing Commander!
• The deck used for your first match must be used for the entire tournament. Modifications can result in disqualification and banning.
• After each match, results must be reported in this thread in the event forum like "3drinks vs Dabil W2-1" or "Dabil vs 3drinks L0-2" (make sure you list your MTGO ID and your opponent!). If you choose to let your opponent post for the two of you, it is your responsibility to check posts for accuracy. Mistakes caught after the end of the tournament will be ignored. Also, anyone dropping from the tournament must report "drop" in the results thread as well. I know it usually won't matter because of the point system, but it's good to stay in the habit for the sake of other tournaments. And it lets other players know you are not available for matches anymore. (especially late players who may have a hard time getting in their matches).
• Bad sportsmanship or other rules violations may result in match loss, disqualification, suspension, or banning. Offense and punishment will be decided at the host's discretion.
Season Points and Standings
Players will be awarded the following points for event attendance and performance:
• 1st place: 8 points
• 2nd place: 6 points
• Top 4: 4 points
• Top 8: 2 points
• Match Win: 3 Points
• Loss -1 point
Top 8 finishers for the season will be invited to the season championship event.
To find out how to play Commander or "Elder Dragon highlander" (EDH) please go here: Official Commander Rules