Deck Rater

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
So one of my friends was talking about a website he used to rate his deck that didn't form a rating based on its users' opinions, it was part of the deck analyzer itself.
I have just spent the better part of a couple of hours looking for this deck rating site, and have been unable to find a site that uses a program to rate decks. Does anyone know of a site like this?

It can have community ratings too, but I don't really need to know of any sites that ONLY have community ratings.
I strongly doubt an algorithm that accurately assesses a deck's quality could realistically exist.

L1 Judge

I strongly doubt an algorithm that accurately assesses a deck's quality could realistically exist.

Sure it can. It's called "total price."

Tongue Out

(Kidding, by the way.)
I bought a lot of cards playing in drafts
Yeah, there's no way to empirically rate a deck's power level based on any sort of useful formula. Heck, it's not even possible to empirically evaluate a card's power level, though some have tried.

If such a website does exist, it's likely not terribly useful.
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
You could probably make out something decent for a normal casual deck, based on number of lands and mana curve. However, it would have to make a lot of assumptions on the deck.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

You could probably make out something decent for a normal casual deck, based on number of lands and mana curve. However, it would have to make a lot of assumptions on the deck.

That's more along the lines of simple statistical analysis though rather than a 'goodness' rating. The main difference is that a statistical analysis is actually useful, but requires you to know how to interpret it. Numbers such as how frequently you'll get X lands within Y turns and how often you'll draw a one mana creature in your opening hand can be very useful numbers to know, even if they don't mean the same thing to every deck.
If such a site/program did exist I wonder who/what would rate the cards, cause if they/it based it off something like gatherer then any deck with x4 Storm Crow and x4 Chimney Imp would have a pretty solid point base to start with.

<----- Loser.

Well when my friend was describing the site he said the site was made by "a guy who has won more magic tournaments than anybody", his words, not mine. So if there is even some truth to that, the ratings should at least be somewhat accurate.

Such a site does indeed exist, I just don't know what it is. I want to try it out just to see what sort of input it has to offer. 
Well when my friend was describing the site he said the site was made by "a guy who has won more magic tournaments than anybody", his words, not mine. So if there is even some truth to that, the ratings should at least be somewhat accurate.

Such a site does indeed exist, I just don't know what it is. I want to try it out just to see what sort of input it has to offer. 

Winning magic tournaments wouldnt really have any bearing on being able to create a computer algorithm intelligent enough to accurately evaluate magic decks without human input.

I think your friend is either mistaken and misunderstood whatever site he was using, or he is screwing with you.

Current decks
Comments or suggestions are always welcome

Modern
nothing at the moment

Sure it can. It's called "total price."

(Kidding, by the way.)

That gives me a brilliant idea: Create a website similar to the one suggested by the OP and then have it generate a score based on value. Then, have a secondary tab with 'Deck Suggestions' that figures out what colors of mana the deck can generate and then recommends the most expensive cards in the appropriate colors that aren't in the deck yet. Given a standard legal setting, it should be possible to generate ratings that are close enough to make it seem like it's doing a real calculation.

Of course, a 'buy' button should also be there somewhere.

NOTE: This is a terrible idea that is highly unethical. It would also probably make lots of money. 

Winning magic tournaments wouldnt really have any bearing on being able to create a computer algorithm intelligent enough to accurately evaluate magic decks without human input.

I think your friend is either mistaken and misunderstood whatever site he was using, or he is screwing with you.

I am positive it is neither one of the two you listed. It is definitely a site that rates using a computer program. I wouldn't have bothered posting here if I wasn't positive that it existed. So the issue of whether or not it exists is really a non issue. The only question is - What is the site?
I believe him that it was designed by a tournament winner (though I do think he could be mistaken about how good the guy was).

I would think that in order to design a program that could in fact rate cards accurately and determine how well they went together, experience would be a necessary factor. Obviously some coding knowledge would be required as well, but to say being a tournament winner would have no bearing on your ability to create a program that could actually evaluate decks seems like a pretty big stretch to me. If you win a lot of tournaments you should be good at deck building (unless you just buy other people's decks I suppose). Being good at deck building would be essential for making a program that accurately analyzed decks.

If such a site/program did exist I wonder who/what would rate the cards, cause if they/it based it off something like gatherer then any deck with x4 Storm Crow and x4 Chimney Imp would have a pretty solid point base to start with.

Dropping Storm Crow for Thragtusk would lower your rating. Also Azorius Guildmage is signicantly better than Tarmogoyf. Which is fair because who runs dumb fat nowadays?
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
I would think that in order to design a program that could in fact rate cards accurately and determine how well they went together, experience would be a necessary factor. Obviously some coding knowledge would be required as well, but to say being a tournament winner would have no bearing on your ability to create a program that could actually evaluate decks seems like a pretty big stretch to me. If you win a lot of tournaments you should be good at deck building (unless you just buy other people's decks I suppose). Being good at deck building would be essential for making a program that accurately analyzed decks.

No such program exists because no such program can exist. If it were possible to accuractely analyze the power level of a deck based on nothing more than a decklist the formulas would be readily available. Although it would theoretically be possible to make such calculations, the level of complexity required would be absolutely insane.

I feel comfortable saying standard changes too quickly for a complete solution for even the relatively small pool of cards available to be categorizes and compared in a manner which would allow for such a program to be written.

Which is to say, even if this site exists, it wouldn't be very useful. 
If such a program existed, the ratings would be ultimately be based on the personal opinions of the programmer. The only way to make an objective system would be to have AI play decks against each other over and over to see what beats what.

Even then, there's usually a rock-paper-scissors element to metagaming, which means the best deck depends on the composition of the field.

Dropping Storm Crow for Thragtusk would lower your rating. Also Azorius Guildmage is signicantly better than Tarmogoyf. Which is fair because who runs dumb fat nowadays?

Dumb fat does appear sometimes in EDH, but not Tarmy. His various relatives are more common, but that's it.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt