Dwarf TWF Ranger - How to handle defenses?

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, I've been tinkering with my next character, and ended up deciding to go for a Dwarf melee Ranger. The general plan is to run twin craghammers, and focus entirely on melee. With that said, I wanted to ask you guys: Should I wear hide and alternate upping Dex and Wis to keep my defenses decent while still increasing the secondary damage from Wis, or should I just drop the two feats for scale armor and leave Dex lower? 

EMPOWER ME WITH YOUR KNOWLEDGE! *ahem* Thanks!  
What secondary damage from Wis? Now that Pit Fighter's dead, Str/Wis stopped being as useful so you can just take Str/Dex and keep wis as your tertiary. If you really want to keep a Str/Wis array, your best options are a) Buy up to Scale (classic), b) Hybrid Cleric for BCL or c) Hybrid Serene Runepriest.
I like the riders on Wis powers better, hybrid or MC Cleric, or hybrid Runepriest are fun and strong options.

I am slightly biased by the fact that I have played so many single-class Rangers though.
Having a high wis is good on a lot of the ranger encounter powers (e.g. armour splinter) and of course it boosts your perception and will, which is always nice. Jump into to heavy armour with an MC feat (or hybrid) and you're golden.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
As someone who has played a dwarf 2-weapon ranger from 1st to 22nd level. I do recommend scale armor. (which I could have done it by hybriding, but the character was made before hybrid rules and LFR doesn't allow retrainging class.) I might also recommend using Axes instead of hammers. Axes get some nice enchantments Reaper's Axe or Canrage.

Dan
So, if I'm understanding this correctly . . . If I take the multi-class talent "Student of Divine Runes", I gain access to the Runepriests armor proficiencies? Sorry, not familiar with multiclassing in 4e.
So, if I'm understanding this correctly . . . If I take the multi-class talent "Student of Divine Runes", I gain access to the Runepriests armor proficiencies? Sorry, not familiar with multiclassing in 4e.

No.  Hybrid runepriest.  From there, Hybrid Talent can get you runepriest's armor proficiency (but you'd rather take Prime Shot with that), or you can take Serene Blade as your Runic Artistry to get Wis to AC in light armor.
So if I don't want to go the Hybrid route, my only option for getting to scale would be just buckling down and taking the two feats necessary. That's a shame. 
Or MC cleric and be really cheesy
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
lol, I'm sorry, noob question. I've been assuming MC stands for multiclass, but I'm not seeing how multiclassing into Cleric would get me heavy armor.
Multiclassing clerics allows you to pick up Healers Lore which can be swapped for Battle Cleric which grants scale armor proficiency and +2 shield bonus to AC.
The method considered less cheesy is to go Hybrid Cleric, and grab Battle Cleric's Lore that way.  It gives you a shield bonus to AC, and scale armor proficiency.

Cleric|Ranger is also a fine combination.  You get a 1/encounter minor action heal that you can use for yourself, or an ally in need.  Grab something like Mighty Hew for your E1 for an out-of-turn smack to accompany the ranger multiattacks and you'll be well on your way from level 1 onward.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
It looks like Hybridizing is the only real way to go . . . Everything I'm seeing is saying you can't just swap the class features out. Or is that a grey area, hence the "cheese"? 
Divine Cleric MC feat: gain Healer's Lore class feature.

Battle Cleric's Lore: If you have Healer's Lore class feature you can take BCL instead.
I would really love it if I could do that, but I'm not finding any official word on whether that's allowable . . . And it seems like a pretty serious grey area. A lot of the talk I've seen about it says you can't. Is there a recent source where WotC confirmed that was an option??
I wouldn't hold my breath for any sort of official clarification, given WotC's focus on D&D Next.

Pretty much, see if your DM is cool with it.  I can understand if they aren't, because, well, that's kind of the most useful MC feat ever that way.  
Soures you need are:
1) Dragon Magzine Issue 400 for Battle Cleric's Lore.
2) Divine Power page 144 for Divine Cleric
Of course they didn't clarify it. They never clarify anything.
I would really love it if I could do that, but I'm not finding any official word on whether that's allowable . . . And it seems like a pretty serious grey area. A lot of the talk I've seen about it says you can't. Is there a recent source where WotC confirmed that was an option??

This isn't really something you should do on your first character. There's quite a bit of controversy around it, partly because the wording isn't 100% clear (although there's a very strong case that it's legal), but mostly because it's way past the power curve for an MC feat. MC feats just don't give such dramatic benefits, so most people assume this trick only works because of an oversight and was never intended.

That being said, the TWF Ranger was probably intended to have low AC and be a "glass cannon" type of build back when PHB1 came out and the designers didn't fully grasp all the workings of the game. It's probably best that you just suck it up and buy scale with feats, but once you get the hang of charac ter building you may be more interested in hybriding to get around design issues like this.
I say go straight for the hybrid, personally.
Ditto.  Hybrid Cleric|Ranger is very, very nice. Take Mighty Hew, Disruptive Strike, Ruffling Sting (or Lashing Leaves) as encounter powers, Weapon of Astral Flame in addition to the usual daily suspects from the Ranger.  Laugh, as you have a melee ranger with probabl the highest AC in the party and a number of self-buffing options, as well as good PPs coming out of your ears.  Seriously, the Cleric has some excellent ones, particularly Paragon of Victory and Tactical Warpriest, and that's if you don't want the Ranger classics like Blade Dancer or Stormwarden.

Use Dwarven Weapons Training and probably Hybrid Talent to dual-wield waraxes.  Saving a feat with DWT is probably worth the lower proficiency bonus on as feat-strapped a buld as the melee ranger.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
If you're starting in Paragon, Hybrid Talent for Prime Shot which can turn into the excellent series of melee applications of that feature. 

Khopeshes are axes and heavy blades.  Blade Dancers like holding two blades.  Axes and heavy blades together offer some truly awesome feat support, along with an even higher AC from Blade Dancer.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Use Dwarven Weapons Training and probably Hybrid Talent to dual-wield waraxes.  Saving a feat with DWT is probably worth the lower proficiency bonus on as feat-strapped a buld as the melee ranger.

I think Gauntletaxe and Waraxe is probably sufficient, and gives you a nice extra AC boost. Or if you're an LFR build, a double weapon like Urgosh or Double axe is probably best for single enchantment, particularly for a frost build (one weapon, one shard). Hybrid talent is better used on something else, or save the feat, because as you say, the build is quite feat strapped.
Why on earth would you use a gauntlet axe and a waraxe when you could use a gauntlet axe and a gouge?

Because you're a ranger, not a barbarian, and thus need to be able to use two separate weapons?
Which a Gauntlet Axe and a Gouge are...
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Why on earth would you use a gauntlet axe and a waraxe when you could use a gauntlet axe and a gouge?

Because I didn't think of it, and I'm sitting here wondering what else I could hold in my free hand..
The other thing to look at is the Elemental Initiate Theme for the Ki Focus proficiancy. Then you only have to "keep up" with one weapon enchantment.

As others have said, just pay the two feats for scale by/at Paragon if you want to avoid the "cheese" and play a single-class Ranger, that way you can use your MC for Battle Awareness for the "extra" off-turn attack. 
Sign In to post comments