Magic + 3d Printer = Fun!

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
Got tired of my Ultra-pro sleeved cards sliding around when I was playing a game, so I used Blender3d and my Thing-O-Matic to whip up a simple card holder. Tested it out at FNM last night, and it worked out great! Fellow geeks with 3d printers can find my design here: www.thingiverse.com/thing:36419

Card holder
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Hahah that things ace :D
I so love 3D printing

just imagine what we can do with it in 10 years time
proud member of the 2011 community team
That's pretty cool...

Why does everyone think I'm phantom lancer? QFT:

Show
139359831 wrote:
I hope all this helps you to see things in a greater light—and understand that Magic: the Gathering was really created by extraterrestials using Richard Garfield as a medium. The game itself reflects the socio-psycho realtivity between living beings, and the science that takes precedence over them—to define reality for them all (like telekinesis, weather, scientific reaction, phenomenon, ingenuity, how the brain works, etc.). I'd also bet there is an entity floating thousands of miles above us, looking down on the current state of game, shaking its fist like... "Wtf are you doing?! You're getting it all screwed up!". Awkward—to be evolved, and yet still subject to the ladder that is the concepts of the game. In this case, misconception, corruption, and deception. With the realities of each color becoming distorted (through oblivious designers), leading the game to reflect a false state of reality that warps the understanding that other people have about those things. For example, people thinking that white could be anything except pure good. This shouldn't be too far off though, I mean...Magic is designed based on reality after all, so that entity (those entities) should be subject to those things. Anyways, I guess when you're busy doing space stuff you can't always be around to ensure quality control. It's no wonder they choose Garfield, they're so much alike; that's exactly what happened to him and Magic.
166199665 wrote:
omg snortng so much febbdelicious /intocixated in rl
That looks really cool.

Does anyone already make these? Ive never seen one before...

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
Can you do one to hold the graveyard with a little tombstone on it?
soooo cool

Please check out my Blog:

Magic the Gathering Adventures Blog

http://mtgadventures.blogspot.com/

Please check out my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/rubiera22/featured

I love this. I wish I had a 3D Printer now =(
Etiamnunc sto, etiamsi caelum ruat.
I love this. I wish I had a 3D Printer now =(

Prices are dropping, general consinsus is that they'll be household common in 10-20!  I CAN'T WAIT!  :D

Only Q I have is on the resin.  How's the price on raw materials? 

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. Version 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

It seems to me you could make an interlocking 'lid' section that would house a graveyard, allowing the whole thing to also be a deck box. I dunno.

Set up a deal with your local card shop to sell them. $$$$. 
That looks really cool.

Does anyone already make these? Ive never seen one before...

~ Tim

A quick Google search turned up two and three slot card trays going for as little as $9. 3D printers go for close to $1000 for a low end model.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

you are missing the point

Perhaps you are missing mine?

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

I so love 3D printing

just imagine what we can do with it in 10 years time

I know, I was reading about them years ago and I've been basically dripping with excitement ever since. You know how computers revolutionised the world in ways we're going to be dealing with for the next few decades? Yeah, 3D printing is the next one.

I love the future.
I want to be Cultured.
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Maybe I will design a lid that can double as a graveyard holder. Will be tricky to keep a single on the bottom from sliding out, though, unless I tweak the base some more. Maybe I'll make it not to hold cards, but dice and counters instead. There's some awesome card boxes on that site already that far exceed my design capabilities. 3d printing is pretty fun. And Escef, if I bought a 3d printer just to make a card tray, then yes, your point would be valid. But some of us like our expensive toys that can make just about anything we can imagine.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

You don't have a point. The marketplace very much needs it early adopters who just want to be the first, as these people often create the buzz and drive attention for the rest of us to follow. And 3D printers are very much the future. I don't really get why you would post here, you clearly have no appreciation for new technology.
I want to be Cultured.
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Maybe I will design a lid that can double as a graveyard holder. Will be tricky to keep a single on the bottom from sliding out, though, unless I tweak the base some more. Maybe I'll make it not to hold cards, but dice and counters instead. There's some awesome card boxes on that site already that far exceed my design capabilities. 3d printing is pretty fun. And Escef, if I bought a 3d printer just to make a card tray, then yes, your point would be valid. But some of us like our expensive toys that can make just about anything we can imagine.

Make it slightly sloped at the front. That should both keep the cards in and make them easier to draw.

Additional improvement suggestions:
Make interlocking feet/holes so they can be stacked, saving table room.
If your printer has the clearance, make a taller version to hold commander decks.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert

You don't have a point. The marketplace very much needs it early adopters who just want to be the first, as these people often create the buzz and drive attention for the rest of us to follow. And 3D printers are very much the future. I don't really get why you would post here, you clearly have no appreciation for new technology.

I appreciate technology more than you can imagine. But I also appreciate practicality. A 3D printer is a nice toy and all. But using it to make things that already exist and are easily and cheaply obtained is more than wasteful. It's like on Animaniacs when Wakko made this huge Rube Goldberg-esque machine that after several moments of convoluted interactions... set off a whoopie cusion. I mean, yes, hilarious in a cartoon; stupid in reality.

you mean something like this? www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSuH9u0kvhU

I'd love to have one of those, but I don't have £100k laying around ;)
you mean something like this? www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSuH9u0kvhU

I'd love to have one of those, but I don't have £100k laying around ;)

More like this:

that's not real!
that's not real!

Izzet?

Dimir a favor and stop the silly puns
Fine, I'll just sit here and eat my Gruul.

I hope there's no milk in that Gruul. I'm Rakdos intolerant.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I hope there's no milk in that Gruul. I'm Rakdos intolerant.

There isn't a Ghost Council of a chance of me sharing my Gruul.

That was a bit forced. I think I'll just eat a Simic.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
Guess I'm stepping up to the plate, but I'm only going to bant.

The point being I use the 3d printer for design and prototyping. And if I want, for example, a one-off card tray that's specifically sized for a 60 card deck with the card sleeves I'm using, I can either:

a) drive all over town and try to hunt one down
b) order it online and wait till it's shipped out to me
c) spend 20 minutes designing it on a computer, and use $0.50 of plastic filament to print it out to use that evening

I've already got the printer, why not choose option c? I've already sunk the cost of the printer, so the $0.50 of plastic and the half hour of my time required to set everything up and hit "print" is cheaper than either of the other two options.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Guess I'm stepping up to the plate, but I'm only going to bant.

Naya, that's the wrong block.

139359831 wrote:
I've already got the printer, why not choose option c?

And that's the only good arguement for it.

Having a 3D printer if you have an interest in industrial design is just as important as having a scanner if you are an artist or an inkjet if you are a writer. They were all super-pricey at some point in history, but they have their uses. To tell Geekydad that it's silly is... silly.
Alright, enough with the off-topic puns.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Having a 3D printer if you have an interest in industrial design is just as important as having a scanner if you are an artist or an inkjet if you are a writer. They were all super-pricey at some point in history, but they have their uses. To tell Geekydad that it's silly is... silly.

I'm not saying it is a silly thing to have. Get the notion out of your head, as I never said any such thing.

Nah, what's silly is saying "I wish I had a 3d printer, just so I could print a card holder for my Magic cards!" Which I totally agree is silly.

But I don't think anyone actually said that. (And I hope nobody thought it.)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Nah, what's silly is saying "I wish I had a 3d printer, just so I could print a card holder for my Magic cards!" Which I totally agree is silly.

What I think is silly is that people will think it's a neat toy (and I'm sure it is), but if they ever get one they will realize they have no idea what to do with it. The wanting is often more pleasurable than the having.

What I think is silly is that people will think it's a neat toy (and I'm sure it is), but if they ever get one they will realize they have no idea what to do with it. The wanting is often more pleasurable than the having.

I think that depends on how comprehensive the library of available design files becomes.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
I would download a car!
I would download a car!

It's $27k. Of course it's something awesome. Now if only I had an idea what to do with it.

I could make paperweights, I guess.
139359831 wrote:

It's $27k. Of course it's something awesome. Now if only I had an idea what to do with it.

I could make paperweights, I guess.

3D printers have become far cheaper in recent years. There are several available for under $2k and even some under $500, and the price will only fall.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show
Mine came as a kit for $1400 from Makerbot a couple years back. They now sell a fully assembled one with twice the print size and better resolution for $2200. I'm thinking of upgrading. www.makerbot.com
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Sign In to post comments