Where to buy metal minis?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been gone a long time and so I went to check my area for game stores. There isn't much anymore. An Uncle's Games and a Games and Gizmo's

Each store had some D&D books, etc....but neither store had SQUAT for mini's.

So, is there an online retailer that has a nice selection and good prices?

Thanks!
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.

Just how long have you been gone? The miniatures industry has basically exploded in the last ten years or so. Many companies that put out games of various sorts (Warhammer 40K, Anima Tactics, etc.), have also released their own miniatures lines for them. Smaller miniatures companies have popped out of the woodwork, and there are a number of Kickstarter projects online for other companies just starting out.

Most brands of minis have their own online stores, but you can also buy a wide selection from multiple companies at places like CoolMiniOrNot.com...

If you're mainly interested in painting your minis as well as playing with them, Reaper also offers a line of unpainted plastics.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

www.reapermini.com/Miniatures

This site is amazing.  Compiles lots of different lines of minis and they are gorgeous.  Pretty reasonable in pricing too.  For the holidays, I got each of my players a mini based on their characters from this site.  They loved them.  They all got together and learned to paint them and use them in our ongoing campaign.  Ordering from them was easy and shipping was fast.
And better still, they have some prepainted plastics, and a brand new recently-kick-started range of cheap (and by heck I do mean CHEAP) unpainted plastics, all of which should be out sometime mid-next-year.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I hate the pre-painted plastic minis. I just do. Half the fun of minis is painting them. And they were marketed as pokemon collectables in the random blister packs, so you had no idea what you are getting. Annoying as hell.

That said, heroclix has some great minis. Sure, they were prepainted, but I repainted them, cut off the over-sized bases, and glued them to propper 1" or 2" new bases.

My local gaming store decided to cut their losses and just shut down their metal minis section. Privateer Press minis for 30-50% of price was great. Even their other brands are all closing down except for maybe Warhammer. (sure, they'll order it for you, but they won't be stocking them). I've been buying tons of neat and some weird minis. Gives me something to work on while Maya is rendering frames for me.

That said, there are lots of metal minis companies. And there is always eBay.

Reaper does tend to be heavily skewed toward character minis and more unique monsters rather than just the regular rank-and-file mooks, but they really do have a wide range of character figures if you're looking for something less stereotypical than your average elven wizard or half-orc barbarian. They even sell conversion kits to replace weapons and other gear. Reaper also mixes their own line of paints in-house, with a very talented painter in charge of the operation.
 They have excellent and very friendly forums dedicated to all aspects of the miniatures hobby, and many of the company's top people frequent their forums almost daily (as well as several well-known mini sculptors and painters).

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...