Decks :)

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
so I been amking a few decks here and there trying to get a good idea on what to put in them.. I usually end up with way to many cards well in my opion.. usually around 100-130 that includes mana... so I try to cut it down Im just unsure how.. I got a good idea on what I want its just cutting down the number of cards any ideas on good rule of thumb I know 40% should be lands.. but how do you decide especially in multi colored decks.... 

do you base it upon creature size or ability?
should you make sure you have equal number of creatures in both colors
and same for instancts and sorceries.. and how many is to many 
choose 9 cards, take 4 copies of those and add 24 lands

that should give you a nice consistent deck to start from, then test and tweak from there
proud member of the 2011 community team
A good way to determine where to cut down that pile of cards is your mana curve. The mana curve is a graph that shows, how many cards you have at each converted mana cost (CMC). You need to have a good idea of the intended "speed" of your deck, of when you want to cast your spells. A usual mana curve looks like a bell curve with the maximum being in the 3-4 mana range. A faster deck needs to have that maximum of the curve earlier, around the 2-mana slot. A slower deck can have it at around 4 mana. A deck that uses a lot of ramp can have a higher number of high cost cards.

So, going with the example of a "usual" mana curve, about 2/3 of your non-land cards should cost 3-4 mana, but you need to be willing to cast them turn 3-4. A highly conditional card like Natural End might be nessessary for the deck, but cannot be consistantly cast and you likely don't want to cast it early, even if you could. At least around 16 cards should be playable for 3 or less mana so that you can do something in the early turns. At least 8 of them should cost no more than 2 mana. Cards that cost 5+ mana should be less numerable the higher the cost and should have great impact on the game when you play them.

So, very roughly:

CMC   # of cards
0-2     ~8+
3-4     ~20
5+      <=8
If you have built a massive, bloated deck (which it sounds like you have), then instead of trying to cut cards, I would suggest you look at what the deck is supposed to do, identify the cards that help it do that, and then start again from scratch.

Thats what I did with my first deck. It started off as a 110 card monstrosity, which was half a token making deck and half a ramp-into-fatties deck. Once I realised that the two halves of the deck didnt really have anything to do with eachother, I scrapped it and used the cards to build two new decks that each did their own thing well, rather than the confused pile that wasnt any good at doing either of the things it tried to do. I also evaluated cards side by side to see what to use and what to drop (quite often one card is strictly better than another similar card).

Hope that helps

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
choose 9 cards, take 4 copies of those and add 24 lands

Here is a good article on the Rule of Nine:

www.gatheringmagic.com/magic-the-classro...

Start with that as a rule of thumb, and then work your way to more advanced decks.