Feats Question: Saving Grace + Heroic Example

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I may have unintentionally synergized, and I want to make sure it works like I think it works, before I bring it up to my DM.

Saving Grace: I make a save against an effect, I succeed and keep the effect, and an ally within 5 makes a SAVE+CHA

Heroic Example: I make a save against an effect, I succeed, and the first ally within 5 (before my SONT), to make a save gets +4 to that save.

Here's how I understand it, using a quick example: I, and one ally in 5, both have ongoing 10 poison, and I just ended my turn and have to make my saving throw. I throw 14 and succeed, BUT I now keep the ongoing 10 and give my ally a SAVE+5 (my CHA), but because I just made a successful save versus an effect, and it's untyped, they instead get a SAVE+9 to beat the poison?

Sure, it's the investment of two feats, but that still seems like a low cost to all but negate ongoing (anything) for a party member? That's why I'm convinced it doesn't work like I think it does -- because ~I~ figured it out, and that never works. :P

. . .

As an aside, I thought I saw a cleric power or feat once that says, "You've got a save-vs-effect on you? I take it from you, and now it's mine. Go forth!" but I can't seem to find it again... Anyone familiar with it?
58286228 wrote:
As a DM, I find it easier to just punish the players no matter what they pick, as I assume they will pick stuff that is broken. I mean, fight after fight they kill all the monsters without getting killed themselves! What sort of a game is this, anyway?
I may have unintentionally synergized, and I want to make sure it works like I think it works, before I bring it up to my DM.

Saving Grace: I make a save against an effect, I succeed and keep the effect, and an ally within 5 makes a SAVE+CHA

Heroic Example: I make a save against an effect, I succeed, and the first ally within 5 (before my SONT), to make a save gets +4 to that save.

Here's how I understand it, using a quick example: I, and one ally in 5, both have ongoing 10 poison, and I just ended my turn and have to make my saving throw. I throw 14 and succeed, BUT I now keep the ongoing 10 and give my ally a SAVE+5 (my CHA), but because I just made a successful save versus an effect, and it's untyped, they instead get a SAVE+9 to beat the poison?

Sure, it's the investment of two feats, but that still seems like a low cost to all but negate ongoing (anything) for a party member? That's why I'm convinced it doesn't work like I think it does -- because ~I~ figured it out, and that never works. :P

. . .

As an aside, I thought I saw a cleric power or feat once that says, "You've got a save-vs-effect on you? I take it from you, and now it's mine. Go forth!" but I can't seem to find it again... Anyone familiar with it?

Courageous Example (instead of Heroic Example) is the name of the feat.

While it does give you the bonus you are thinking, it isn't that great because you are keeping a negative effect on you.  You could, however, use it for things like Stream of Life.  That is the only example I can think of off the top of my head that would be worth it with these particular feats, and its a daily.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />As an aside, I thought I saw a cleric power or feat once that says, "You've got a save-vs-effect on you? I take it from you, and now it's mine. Go forth!" but I can't seem to find it again... Anyone familiar with it?

There's a Bard Power - Mantle Of Sacrifice, Utility 6.  Take a Save Ends from someone in the burst, give it to someone else (or yourself), recipient gets +CON to their saves against that effect.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.