Feats Question: Saving Grace + Heroic Example

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I may have unintentionally synergized, and I want to make sure it works like I think it works, before I bring it up to my DM.

Saving Grace: I make a save against an effect, I succeed and keep the effect, and an ally within 5 makes a SAVE+CHA

Heroic Example: I make a save against an effect, I succeed, and the first ally within 5 (before my SONT), to make a save gets +4 to that save.

Here's how I understand it, using a quick example: I, and one ally in 5, both have ongoing 10 poison, and I just ended my turn and have to make my saving throw. I throw 14 and succeed, BUT I now keep the ongoing 10 and give my ally a SAVE+5 (my CHA), but because I just made a successful save versus an effect, and it's untyped, they instead get a SAVE+9 to beat the poison?

Sure, it's the investment of two feats, but that still seems like a low cost to all but negate ongoing (anything) for a party member? That's why I'm convinced it doesn't work like I think it does -- because ~I~ figured it out, and that never works. :P

. . .

As an aside, I thought I saw a cleric power or feat once that says, "You've got a save-vs-effect on you? I take it from you, and now it's mine. Go forth!" but I can't seem to find it again... Anyone familiar with it?

58286228 wrote:
As a DM, I find it easier to just punish the players no matter what they pick, as I assume they will pick stuff that is broken. I mean, fight after fight they kill all the monsters without getting killed themselves! What sort of a game is this, anyway?

An insightful observation about the nature of 4e, and why it hasn't succeeded as well as other editions. (from the DDN General Discussions, 2014-05-07)

Rundell wrote:

Emerikol wrote:

Foxface wrote:

4e was the "modern" D&D, right?  The one that had design notes that drew from more modern games, and generally appealed to those who preferred the design priorities of modern games.  I'm only speculating, but I'd hazard a guess that those same 4e players are the ones running the wide gamut of other games at Origins.

D&D 4e players are pretty much by definition the players who didn't mind, and often embraced, D&D being "different".  That willingness to embrace the different might also mean they are less attached to 4e itself, and are willing to go elsewhere.

This is a brilliant insight.  I was thinking along those lines myself.  

There are so many tiny indie games that if you added them all together they would definitely rival Pathfinder.   If there were a dominant game for those people it would do better but there is no dominant game.  Until 4e, the indie people were ignored by the makers of D&D.

Yep. 4E was embraced by the 'system matters' crowd who love analyzing and innovating systems. That crowd had turned its back on D&D as a clunky anachronism. But with 4E, their design values were embraced and validated. 4E was D&D for system-wonks. And with support for 4E pulled, the system-wonks have moved on to other systems. The tropes and traditions of D&D never had much appeal for them anyway. Now there are other systems to learn and study. It's like boardgamegeeks - always a new system on the horizon. Why play an ancient games that's seven years old?

Of course, not all people who play and enjoy 4E fit that mould. I'm running a 4E campaign right now, and my long-time D&D players are enjoying it fine. But with the system-wonks decamping, the 4E players-base lost the wind in its sails.

I may have unintentionally synergized, and I want to make sure it works like I think it works, before I bring it up to my DM.

Saving Grace: I make a save against an effect, I succeed and keep the effect, and an ally within 5 makes a SAVE+CHA

Heroic Example: I make a save against an effect, I succeed, and the first ally within 5 (before my SONT), to make a save gets +4 to that save.

Here's how I understand it, using a quick example: I, and one ally in 5, both have ongoing 10 poison, and I just ended my turn and have to make my saving throw. I throw 14 and succeed, BUT I now keep the ongoing 10 and give my ally a SAVE+5 (my CHA), but because I just made a successful save versus an effect, and it's untyped, they instead get a SAVE+9 to beat the poison?

Sure, it's the investment of two feats, but that still seems like a low cost to all but negate ongoing (anything) for a party member? That's why I'm convinced it doesn't work like I think it does -- because ~I~ figured it out, and that never works. :P

. . .

As an aside, I thought I saw a cleric power or feat once that says, "You've got a save-vs-effect on you? I take it from you, and now it's mine. Go forth!" but I can't seem to find it again... Anyone familiar with it?

Courageous Example (instead of Heroic Example) is the name of the feat.

While it does give you the bonus you are thinking, it isn't that great because you are keeping a negative effect on you.  You could, however, use it for things like Stream of Life.  That is the only example I can think of off the top of my head that would be worth it with these particular feats, and its a daily.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />As an aside, I thought I saw a cleric power or feat once that says, "You've got a save-vs-effect on you? I take it from you, and now it's mine. Go forth!" but I can't seem to find it again... Anyone familiar with it?

There's a Bard Power - Mantle Of Sacrifice, Utility 6.  Take a Save Ends from someone in the burst, give it to someone else (or yourself), recipient gets +CON to their saves against that effect.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.