Need Help with W/U Human Deck

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Moving to Casual Decks.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
And looking at the cards are you trying to go for a blink style deck? [more info on how the deck is suppose to work would be helpful]

And to be sure, you are aiming for a modern build correct or do you want to make it standard? 

Though for a basis:

Try to max out your Obilivion rings 
In a 60 card deck 22 lands is often not optimal, but in 70 its insanity.

Infinite Reflection seems odd - you don't really have a creature which seems worth copying onto everything else. It's not like you're running a Sun Titan or Consecrated Sphinx or anything.

Sleep is generally best for alpha strikes in a more aggressive deck - yours seems to be based much more around mid/late game, and card advantage. It's a lot more expensive, but if you really want that effect it'd be better to go with Cryptic Command; at least that way it's not a dead card if you're not in a position to alpha strike.

None of your creatures really benefit from Ghostform. It'd allow 2 to get through and do very minor damage. If you were running something like Tandem Lookout, then sure, but as it stands it's not worth it.

Bonds of Faith isn't flash. It's a very minor boost with no ability to protect itself or the creature its on, or its removal that can be stunted later on as simply as playing land. If you want the removal, go with something like Swords to Plowshares or Detention Sphere. If you want the buff, consider something like Glorious Anthem or Mikaeus, the Lunarch.

Search Warrant provides a bit of insight, and a bit of life, at the cost of a card. Card disadvantage is rarely worth that. Unless you're playing in a new meta, you should already have an idea about what your opponent could have in their hand simply due to experience, and the lifegain simply makes them need to attack you for a single extra turn.

Offering to Asha isn't terrible, but 4 life for a 4 mana soft counter (though 4 mana is pretty steep unless you're pretty far into the late game) seems expensive... I'd always run Condescend over it, in terms of 'soft counters'.

Worldslayer doesn't seem to belong in this deck at all. I get the two card combo with Avacyn, but that combo requires 8 mana and 2 cards, and can be stopped by any premoval (ie. Despise, Essence Scatter) or exile, or even bounce. And if you don't get Avacyn, Worldslayer is just a dead card.

Elixir of Immortality is once again lifegain for card disadvantage. Occasionally its fine to run in decks - like if you fetch it with Trinket Mage (to offset the card disadvantage), or you play in a meta with a mill deck or two, but otherwise there are better options. If you really want lifegain, get lifegain attached to other cards, like lifelinkers or permanents with decent lifegain abilities.

Akroma's Memorial is pretty expensive, and your creatures are pretty weenie-ish. Pretty much flying is the only thing it's really going to give them that'll help. You should be able to find much better wincons at 7 mana.

If you really like the bounce theme though, I'd look more into Deadeye Navigator, and possibly boost their numbers to 3 or 4. While expensive (6 mana to drop unprotected; 8 mana to drop with enough for a bounce - though they can still kill him in response to the soulbound trigger) he has a lot of synergy and combo potential (for example, he forms an infinite mana combo with Peregrine Drake, and has great synergy with creatures like Fiend Hunter, who he can use to repeatedly perma-exile creatures, or Leonin Relic-Warder to do the same with artifacts and enchantments). Cards which are decent on their own, have synergy with other cards in your deck, but can be outright wincons with the right setup are very useful.

Personally, I like to drop a Navigator a turn after dropping a Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir - if Teferi sticks and you drop Nav at the end of their turn, they can't do squat while you not only soublind to your creatures, but untap your mana ready to bounce. 
I'm all about super-control in MTG. If you're able to stop my shenanigans, then there aren't enough shenanigans. Lv 1 Judge Current Decklists Sweeping Beauty (Casual) A Vision of Clones (Casual) Coming soon... more decks! :-O
I would say find the key cards for this deck and put multiples in. I see lots of one ofs instead of 2-4 copies. I would try to cut this down to 60-65 if possible (I know it can be really hard). When you know what you want to do with deck and your win condition/s then you can narrow down your cards.
For some reason I really like Deft Duelist and Meddling Mage
Also if you can afford him Grand Arbiter Augustin IV or for fun Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer.
Rather than Infinite Reflection try Mirrorweave (if you really want to make your creatures a copy of another but without forcing everything to be it for good)
Sky Hussar can let you draw, which can be nice (or helpful!)
I really like Steel of the Godhead as well, for those dual colored creatures (great with Bruna, Light of Alabaster)

hope this helps
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
This is a blink style/control deck yes, Sleep I have for keeping my opponent's creatures down so I can gather time to think and plan. The win condition is either to have Parish beefed up enough with the ring or through blinking Archaeomancer and Aether Adept (I only have one Parish, but I really would like to keep him in this deck as he is one of my power houses) I am trying to get a Mikaeus, but have had no luck. I am unsure as to add Odric, Master Tactician mainly because I like his ability. The win condition for this deck would have to be using spells to keep creatures off the board as I chip away with my creatures, drawing cards as I go along. I have revised the deck and here it is now:

Lands:24
2 Evolving Wilds
1 Glacial Fortress
8 Plains
12 Island
1Cavern of Souls

Creatures: 18
2 Emancipation Angel
1Student of Warfare
1Champion of the Parish
2Aether Adept
2Archaeomancer
1Stonehorn Dignitary
1Avacyn, Angel of Hope
1Clone
1New Prav Guildmage
1Sphinx of Uthuun
1Pilgrim's Eye
1Deadeye Navigator
1Elgaud Shieldmate
1Lyev Skyknight
1Mentor of the Meek

Spells:24
2See Beyond
1Amass the Components
3Cloudshift
2Ghostly Flicker
2Safe Passage
1Offering to Asha
2Negate
1Rewind
1Ring of Thune
1Azorius Keyrune
1Rootborn Defenses
1Oblivion Ring       
1Supreme Verdict
1Divine Verdict
1Mask of Avacyn
1Venser, the Sojourner
1Fieldmist Borderpost
1Azorius Charm  
I really need help on what to cut, as each help to make the deck reach it's win condition. I need opinions on what to cut or need copies of, the sooner with responses the better!                                
take out Student of Warfare as blinking that is going to be a bad choice. Take out theOffering to Asha, because yes, it is nice but it seems a little out of place. More Azorius Charms because they have more than ability to take advantage of. I dont really like the Fieldmist Borderpost as it seems you have plenty of land and a couple land grab cards. I would take out the Search Warrant and add more Oblivion Rings.
Hope this helps
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
I would take out the Emancipation Angels for the Fiend Hunters. I dont think Odric would fit because you dont have too many creatures to fully take advantage of his ability early in. But you could try it
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
I'll make the change and be back with the results in a few days
It seems one of the worst things I have faced so far is another control player, and aggro decks tend to nail me for a nice chunk of damage before my deck is online, can anyone suggest a sideboard? I thought a few Devout Chaplain for artifact and enchantment removal, but I am unsure as to add more counters for my sideboard or maybe some cheaper humans like Nephalia Smuggler Thoughts?
The Smuggler is cheaper mana wise, but his effect cost four, and it could be awhile before you can really make the most of his ability. It would not hurt to try it. I would try to find which cards you blink that really make the difference for your deck. If you need more blink power you can look into a Conjurer's Closet (which I think would be fun with cards like Traitorous Blood, so you can take the creature and keep it)
Also, I think the number of different creatures you have may be making it harder to get the cards you need. Maybe pick the creatures that are absolutely essential to your win and cut the rest, then add multiple copies to even it back out (I know the Champion of the Parish is hard to get, I have the same issue) but cards like the Lyev Skyknight are pretty good on their own, but having multiples (that you can blink) may help.
I hope this helps My husband has an Azorius deck that we cannot seem to fix the way he wants it, and it wants to be more than 60-65 cards, so it can be tough
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
I have it at 65,  the main issue I have is my friend that is a control player as well. The card that kills me the most is Devastation Tide He always draws it, in every game we play, and then he always has Amnesia right after it. The extra O-Rings and Fiend Hunters help me a lot, but they always get sent back, no matter how hard I try to keep counters for those cards. I am thinking of adding  more Archaeomancers to recycle my spells. What I find odd is how my friend has a 100 card deck and it runs so much better than my 65 card deck. I digress, I was thinking of adding more draw spells, or creatures that help me draw. Yes? No?
I have a friend who is the exact same way, he just throws a bunch of stuff together and his decks are usually 80-100 cards and he still manages to do well against my more planned decks. I know the feeling. Maybe try to run counter spells so when he tries to play the tide, you can prevent that from happening. Draw could be useful, you just have to find the right balance between your draw and blink (although it may be a good idea to blink creatures that allow you to draw)
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
I was digging around my cards when I came across some of my Stealer of Secrets any thoughts on adding them?
If you can make her unblockable, then that would awesome! Or boost her, then make her unblockable :3 Ring of Evos Isle + Tricks of the Trade on her made my roommate mad
also Steel of the Godhead
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
I'll sideboard someTricks of the Trade with her, or I can always use detain to have her slip by, allowing for free swings. As much as I would like to add her in, I am unsure as what to replace. I thought maybe Clone, but he has saved me countless times with its flexibility. Think Twice also comes to mind with drawing cards, but more Charms would be nice. 
One of my friends traded me Sword of War and Peace Could I perhaps add in Invisible Stalker to  combo with the sword?
Thats interesting, you could try it, and it would give you a decent unblockable who does at least three damage plus the two other effects from the sword. You just gotta protect that sword from things like Sundering Growth and Smelt
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
I would remove Safe Passage. Your deck seems pretty good at blocking, you don't need dedicated slots for damage prevention.

Mask of Avacyn can go too. You have to re-equip it every time you blink the creature it's on, which is annoying.

Momentary Blink is a bit old, but it fits perfectly here.

Sunblast Angel is a nice budget-friendly rare.

Try to get some 2-drops in your deck; your curve starts at 3 right now, which can be awkward against fast decks. Azorius Arrester is an aggressive option, Wall of Omens could be a more defensive option. I'm sure there's more out there.
I thought I'd post some ideas to think about. 
First, there's really only about 2 ways to deal with a control deck.  (Actually, there's more, but these are the most common).

1) you outpace them: (Ramp, Burn, Aggro)
Aggro/burn decks quickly, i.e. by ~turn 3 or 4, empty their hands faster than the control player can draw into answers.  (Post-sideboard, this becomes much harder).  Ramp decks drop lands (perhaps with explore, or cultivate) to build to a point where they can drop more bombs a turn than the control player is able to respond to.  The idea is you either start out or get to a point where you are giving them more problems each turn than they are able to deal with each turn.

2) you cast spells on their turn: (Control, Combo)
Their are two things control players hate -- one, tapping out on their turn, and two, not tapping out on your turn.  While something like think twice may not look all that great compared to see beyond at first, it is much more difficult to play against for your opponent -- especially if you are also playing control -- because you are casting it during their turn. 

However, what really makes instant speed card draw shine, is when you combine it with enough counters in your deck.  This lets you pass your turn with or open.  Now, if your opponent casts something you don't want to deal with, you mana leak or dissipate it.  If you don't care, let it resolve and think twice.

This is one of the reasons that delver of secrets has been such a big card in standard.  It allows control decks to get a threatening creature out while letting them leave mana open on the more critical turns (2, 3, and 4) when passing the turn to their opponent. 

Here are a couple cards that I would consider trading out:
Champion of the Parish and Mentor of the Meek -- great cards, but these belong in a more aggressive deck
Fiend Hunter -- the is hard to make work if your not running a bunch of fetch/dual lands
elgaud shieldmate -- unless you're dealing with a bunch of targeted removal, she should go
see beyond -- again, probably want think twice here
foresee -- if you've maxed out think twice, you can throw in inspiration

Here are a couple cards that I would consider trading out:
Champion of the Parish and Mentor of the Meek -- great cards, but these belong in a more aggressive deck
Fiend Hunter -- the is hard to make work if your not running a bunch of fetch/dual lands
elgaud shieldmate -- unless you're dealing with a bunch of targeted removal, she should go
see beyond -- again, probably want think twice here
foresee -- if you've maxed out think twice, you can throw in inspiration

Champion is a little unconventional here but I think it works well. It has synergy with blinks on his other creatures, and it's strong for many of the same reasons as Delver.

Mentor requires a slight mana investment up front, but after that it can be a great card advantage engine. I think it's too important to cut.

Fiend Hunter is good too, and if the WW is a problem, it might be worth adding some Azorius Guildgates.

I agree on the other points.

Idea: Geist-Honored Monk for an endgame threat?
Having land really is not a problem, primarily because of the efficiency of drawing and blinking Pilgrim's Eye whenever needed. Mask of Avacyn and Elgaud Shieldmate are mid late game protectors for Parish and Avacyn. I will revise and see what I come up with.
I have none of Geist-Honored Monk but I have Crusader of Odric Will she work as well with the Ring of Thune?
I decided against adding Crusader of Odric mainly because this deck won't suit her. I am becoming more used to reacting on my opponent's turn as opposed to only my turn. It's strange hoe making it seem like you have a counter does wonders.
Here's something to consider.  When you counter a spell with rewind, what are you then doing with the 4 lands you just untapped?
If it was just 4 lands, I am set up to have a Negate set up in the case my opponent tries to buff his creatures or places removal. Cloudshift and Ghostly Flicker are usually ready with Archaeomancer and another human likeAether Adept to pick off threats and boost Parish at the same time. Azorius Charm is also considered in the case he attempts to swing with a green fattie or an unblockable, or if they do nothing I can replace the charm with something else I might need. Now if Deadeye Navigator on the field.....Archaeomancer and other enter the battlefield abilities become deadly.
I traded for a Bladed Pinions and was wondering if it would help on the defensive, as it gives first strike? Maybe?
I traded for a Bladed Pinions and was wondering if it would help on the defensive, as it gives first strike? Maybe?

not really.  You have to pay before it does anything (and even then, your opponent has to attack into it).  Compare to oblivion ring which costs 3 and just gets rid of what ever you need it to get rid of.
Makes sense, I liked it as it would help Parish on offense as well as defense. I am looking into possibly getting a Sun Titan or a Frost Titan for this deck, or maybe an Angel of Glory's Rise Sunblast Angel would be nice, I'll look into getting it.
Makes sense, I liked it as it would help Parish on offense as well as defense. I am looking into possibly getting a Sun Titan or a Frost Titan for this deck, or maybe an Angel of Glory's Rise Sunblast Angel would be nice, I'll look into getting it.

Of those, sun titan is probably the most universal card.  It fits in with control because it can bring back land destruction like tectonic edge or  the aforementioned o-ring.  It fits in with white-weenie, simply by bringing back a dead weenie or bringing back honor of the pure.  Also the converted mana cost of 6 tends to be the sweet spot for fatties. 
I also like the Sun Titan as he has vigilance, my favorite combat ability only being passed up by double strike. I also plan an adding Talrand,Sky Summoner As he can make more weenies as I Cloudshift Archaeomaner, giving me another decent win con. Any thoughts?
Talrand looks pretty good.
Nailed me an Angelic Overseer, a Gideon's Avenger a Reliquary Tower and a Herald of War. I have Overseer in it and was wondering If I could replace a few of my humans with Avenger and some Invisible Stalkers?
Based on personal experience...
You'll want Cloudshift more than you'll want Ghostly Flicker. Angelic Overseer doesn't really fit with the rest of the deck. Neither does Echo Mage (You don't have a ton of spells you really want to copy) or Talrand. Herald of War doesn't flicker well and only helps you accelerate out Avacyn anyways. Sphinx of Uthuun flickers profitably but is expensive manawise.

I'd recommend Blade Splicer (Also Wing Splicer) as it gives you a powerful aggro option that is deadly when flickered. I also recommend Sejiri Refuges for your land base since they're cheap and profitably flickered. I don't think you have enough ramp to run Avacyn, Angel of Hope.

Other suggestions: Lyev Skyknight provides you with protection and aggro. Whitemane Lion helps you save creatures from removal and if Venser is ultimate essentially reads : Exile target permanent, return ~ to your hand.

Preordain or Ponder would be better than See Beyond. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
In regards to countermagic - I learned (profitably) from these boards to run either 8-16 pieces of countermagic or to run none at all.  Fewer than 8 pieces means you will not likely have countermagic when you need it the most.

That said, hard counters are generally more useful than conditional counters like Negate.  Given your deck's use of blinking effects, perhaps Familiar's Ruse could prove worthwhile (albeit more worthwhile if you've 1 cmc creatures in play).  Mana Leak, Rune Snag, and Remand are great splash countermagic. Even Spell Syphon could work if you've enough blue permanents out (your current build doesn't allow for this).

More card draw is ideal, if only to ensure you have countermagic and combat tricks in hand when you need them.  Dragon_Nut's recommendations of Preordain and Ponder are excellent choices.  Even Inspiration is good, albeit expensive to cast, because it is at instant speed, which is code for "cast during your opponent's end step, so you'll have mana available to cast what you drew on your turn."

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
I'll take those into consideration and make revisions. Will post again in the next few days.
Just looked over your newest version.  To be honest, the best thing you could do to make this deck better is to up the count on glacial fortress and add something like adarkar wastes or at the very least azorius guildgate.  There are so many spells that have a double color requirement, especially spells you want to be casting on turns 3 and 4, that not having access to the right mana combination will really slow you down.  Glacial Fortress is a little pricey (I think they go for around $4-5 each), but it's a card that you can use for so many decks that, in my opinion, it is worth it in the long run.

Also, as for blink targets, both duplicant and solemn simulacrum are great and can go in a variety of different decks as well.