Spellskite + Modular

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, so here's a rules question for all of you knowledgable people.  I was playing in a Modern event the other night (playing Affinity).  Basically what I did was attacked with an Inkmoth Nexus, planning on sacrificing enough artifacts through an Arcbound Ravager and putting the counters on the Inkmoth before damage resolved, enough for lethal damage via Poison.  My opponent had a Spellskite in play and proceeded to activate it, forcing me to put my Ravager's +1/+1 counters (I think I had 6 or 7 total) onto his Spellskite with the redirect ability.  It was ruled as a legal play (which ended up kiling me), but I'm not entirely sure as to how....I know Modular is an ability, but I thought it was some sort of triggered event that couldn't be responded to in that way.   Can someone please explain it to me? I know Magic, I just haven't played competitively in 3 or 4 years, up until a few weeks ago.  Thanks in advance :-)
Modular is a triggered ability and uses the stack.  (at least the leave the battlefield part of it)

It can be responded to, and it targets, so spellskite can redirect it.
MTG Rules Advisor
Ok, thank you...I should've figured it was something as simple as that. It just didn't "feel right" at the time I was playing I s'pose :-)
Ok, so here's a rules question for all of you knowledgable people.  I was playing in a Modern event the other night (playing Affinity).  Basically what I did was attacked with an Inkmoth Nexus, planning on sacrificing enough artifacts through an Arcbound Ravager and putting the counters on the Inkmoth before damage resolved, enough for lethal damage via Poison.  My opponent had a Spellskite in play and proceeded to activate it, forcing me to put my Ravager's +1/+1 counters (I think I had 6 or 7 total) onto his Spellskite with the redirect ability.  It was ruled as a legal play (which ended up kiling me), but I'm not entirely sure as to how....I know Modular is an ability, but I thought it was some sort of triggered event that couldn't be responded to in that way.   Can someone please explain it to me? I know Magic, I just haven't played competitively in 3 or 4 years, up until a few weeks ago.  Thanks in advance :-)

Be carefull though: the Modular ability can be redirected, but not Ravager's sacrifice.

So, Spellskite can snatch the +1/+1 counters from sacrificed Modular creatures, but Ravager will get its one counter from each sacrifice. 

Tax evasion is nothing but legitimate self-defense against the theft that is tax collection.

Sign In to post comments