Izzet - Control/Burn - Is it good enough for FNM?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, my name is Chris and I have NEVER been to ANY sort of magic event. MY friends have and I do drafts with them but I really want to try a FNM and see if my deck can stand up agaisnt experieced players So I apologize if I don't know the terms or things such as that. Here is my deck list!

Creatures = 16

Guttersnipe x4
Goblin Electromancer x3
Blistercoil Weird x3
Talrand, Sky Summoner x2
Nivix Guildmage x2
Nivmagus Elemental x2

Instant/Sorcery = 24

Mizzium Skin x2
Dispel x3
Negate x4
Mystic Retrieval x1
Faithless Looting x2
Electrickery x4
Searing Spear x4
Mizzium Mortars x2
Magmaquake x2

Lands = 20

Island x6
Mountain x6
Izzet Guildgate x4
Steam Vents x4

Sideboard = 15

Street Spasm x1
Hypersonic Dragon x2
Mercurial Chemister x2
Goblin Electromancer x1
Dispelx1
Blistercoil Weird x1
Archaeomancer x2
Unsummon x2
Mystic Retrieval x1
Divination x1
I'm trying to figure out the same thing myself. And the one issue that I'm finding with this deck is that it's lack of win cons. You have talrand, guttersnipe and burn spells, detention sphere/slaughter games/sever the bloodline can eliminate our win cons so easily. Along with regular burn spells. I've been thinking of adding 2 thundermaw hellkites or something, maybe giving hypersonic dragon a go.. But I love the deck idea so much and I'll give you a few pointers in your deck that will make it a lot better.

Creatures: this deck is based on spells not creatures, so the fewer creatures we can have the better.
1. Take out the electromancer it is a good card, but myself and others who have tested it agree it's just not what the deck needs, it needs more spells and the spells we cast are so cheap that it'd be better to have an extra burn spell or counter than to waste a turn on the electromanceer, though it is still a good card for the deck.

2. Blistercoil weird, I would take out, it's taking away from instants and sorceries the deck thrives on, and it's really not going to do much since it's in range of every kill spell there is.

3. I'd take out the guildmage. It is a good source of card draw, but I just don't think it's right in the deck.

4. Nivmagus, I REALLY LIKE THIS! I have been running delver in this deck, but I may seriously try out this nivmagus, exile one instant or sorcery you don't need and you have a 3/4, good idea on that.

So for creatures I'd keep 4 guttersnipe, 2 talrand, if you could I'd try out 4 nivmagus (or delver) and you don't have snapcasters but they're great for this deck, and I haven't tried yet but I feel like this card needs a good beater and you have 2 hypersonic dragons, I'd put those in.

------

Spells:
Your spells should look somewhat like this:
x4 searing spear
x4 izzet charm
x4 Negate (x4 essence scatter in sideboard or vice versa)
x2 Syncopate/dissipate
x4 Think twice/Faithless looting
x4 Brimstone volley/pillar of flame/mizzium mortars

electrickery isn't useful MB in this deck since your'e running burn already, the only time electrickery is useful is against tokens before they can get an anthem out.
magmaquake will kill your creatures too and you don't want that in this deck
and the other cards just aren't going to help your game.

----

Lands: I'd up by 2 or 3.

These are just my tips and how I've had decent games with this type of deck.

Thanks good tips! The reason I never put hypersonic in is just because of the mana cost. For instance I have 2 Ni-Mizzet's, but for 6 mana I'd be tapped out and it would be late game as well :/
I wouldn't play faithless looting in a deck with under 15 cards you want to hit the graveyard. You have...er...two cards your okay with discarding. Cut it.

also, maindeck 4 pillar of flame is where it's at. No joke. Play it.
I am also trying to find a good list for an Izzet deck, so I thought that I would put my deck list here to hear what you think, and maybe give you some ideas.

Creatures:
4x Augur of Bolas
3x Goblin Electromancer (Still not sure whether to keep or not, maybe Nivmagus Elemental will take it's place)
4x Guttersnipe
2x Talrand, Sky Summoner

Spells: 
4x Pillar of Flame
4x Inaction Injunction
4x Cyclonic Rift
4x Desperate Ravings
4x Searing Spear
4x Izzet Charm
3x Mizzium Mortars

Lands:
5x Mountain
5x Island
4x Steam Vents
4x Sulfur Falls
2x Desolate Lighthouse 

Sideboard:
4x Talrand's Invocation
3x Negate
3x Syncopate
2x Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius (Beater)
1x Cackling Counterpart
1x Mountain (Only used when Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius is mainboarded)
1x Island (Only used when Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius is mainboarded)
I wouldn't play faithless looting in a deck with under 15 cards you want to hit the graveyard. You have...er...two cards your okay with discarding. Cut it.

also, maindeck 4 pillar of flame is where it's at. No joke. Play it.

I wish I had 4 pillar of flames, I thought I had one but I can't fine it and with Gatecrasher coming out soon I'm going to wait and see what good red/blue spells that introduces
My personal Izzet Deck:
land:
9 Island
10 Mountain
4 Izzet Guildgate

Spells:
4 Searing Spear
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Unsummon
1 Essence Scatter
2 Divination
4 Cackling Counterpart
2 Mystic Retrieval
1 Rewind

Creatures:
3 Goblin Electromancer
3 Hypersonic Dragon
2 Charmbreaker Devils
4 Guttersnipe
2 Archaeomancer
2 Augur of Bolas 

Its been working really well for me, though I just got a whole bunch of cards I need to refine it with.

Electromancers are awesome. It's a blocker, it can make it so you could cast double the amount of spells in a turn early game or late game. 
Your deck is a bit of a split between aggro and control, which isn't going to be good for you.

If you want to go more control, keep

and then fill your deck with a combination of burn, counters, and some card draw. Electromancer is great here since he reduces the cost of your counters and expensive card draw effects like inspiration. Also makes overload costs easier.

If you'd rather go aggro,
[deck]
4 delver of secrets
4 blistercoil weird
4 nivmagus Elemental
4 Guttersnipe
[/deck]

and fill your deck with light counters (Essence Scatter/Negate), some tempo spells like Inaction Injunction or even Unsummon, cheap burn (Searing Spear and Pillar of Flame), and a bit of utility, like Mizzium Skin to protect your threats or Thought Scour to draw some cards.  You want to keep the overall mana cost of your spells low to take advantage of Weird, Elemental and Guttersnipe. A single Runechanter's Pike cant hurt. 
Sign In to post comments