Ok, a really dumb question about Summoning Sickness...

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was playing a 3 player game with my friends the other night and we got into an arguement about Summoning Sickness because one of my friends played a creature that he could tap to counter a spell if the caster did not pay an additional mana (can't quite remember the name of the card). The next turn I played a Royal Assassin. He tried to tap it to counter the spell, to which my other friend and I told him that he could not do until his next turn because it still had summoning sickness. He was trying to argue that because his turn was over, that it no longer had summoning sickness. 

According to the official MTG Rulebook:

"302.6. A creature’s activated ability with the tap symbol or the untap symbol in its activation cost can’t be activated unless the creature has been under its controller’s control continuously since his or her most recent turn began. A creature can’t attack unless it has been under its controller’s control continuously since his or her most recent turn began. This rule is informally called the 'summoning sickness' rule". 

The rule is a bit vague when it comes to multiplayer, imo. If I'm reading it correctly, "since his or her most recent turn began" means that it would have to be a full turn cycle, would it not?

it has summoning sickness

it will not lose it until the beginning of his next turn

you and your other friend were correct that it had summoning sickness, but that'd only stop the ability if it had the symbol, otherwise his play was legal

so it really depends on which card it was

Candidates affected by Summoning Sickness
Brine Seer
Disruptive Pitmage 
Disruptive Student
Ghost-lit Warder
Mundungu
Vodalian Mage 

Candidates not affected by Summoning Sickness 
Jaraku the Interloper
Cursecatcher
Judge's Familiar
Martyr of Frost
Patron Wizard
Soratami Savant 
Spiketail Drake
Spiketail Drakeling 
Spiketail Hatchling
Wizard Replica

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

It depends on the exact way the ability is printed.  Summoning sickness works as CR 302.6 and 2got4U described it, but that only applies here if the tap symbol, , was in the activation cost of the ability.  Some creatures have activated abilities with a cost of "Tap an untapped creature you control," and that kind of ability lets you tap any creature you have--even a summoning sick one (and yes, it can be the creature the ability is printed on)--to pay that cost.  So, if your friend's card was Disruptive Student, then he would not be able to activate its ability until the beginning of his next turn, but if it was a Patron Wizard, then he could tap it (or any other wizards he controls) right away.
Can you be more specific about what you found vague about that rule? It seems pretty clear-cut to me, but then I'm accustomed to the way the rules are written and may not be seeing what makes them seem unclear when looked at through different eyes. But "his or her" most recent turn means the same thing no matter how many players there are - it is that player's most recent turn that matters, not anyone else's.
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011