How should Psionics work?

So WotC has stated that the first PHB of 5e will have Psionic classes. We've already seen the Monk, but I'm wondering: how do you think the other Psionic classes (Psion, Battlemind/Psi Warrior, etc.) should be handled?

My advice to WotC is this: don't use a drastically different system than is already established. Psionics are often thought of by players as ill-fitting in the D&D world, and bizarrely different mechanics make it even worse. In 4e, for example, Psionics were the only class (until Essentials) to break the pattern established with AEDU. In older editions, they needed different weapons and other stuff (I don't know the specifics; could anyone fill me in?). I realize that it would likely be hard to do the same, since 5e has very different mechanics for each class. This is just to point out the problems Psionics have faced in previous editions.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test

Like my Signature.  Tongue Out
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)
Like my Signature. 

Your sig link is broken

Magic Dual Color Test
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and sheepish.
Like my Signature. 

It says page not found.  I definitely don't want psionics in next to work like that.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

A precentile Focus system where the Psions power are augmented based on how much of their focus is placed in maitaining or manifesting the Power.

Example:
Read Thoughts
You can choose a creature within range and read the surface thoughts of the mind of any creature in the area that fails a Wisdom save for 1 minute. A target that succeeds on its save is not affected by this manifestation of the power, even if it leaves the area and then reenters the area before the duration expires.

Focus
Less than 25%: The range of this power is 30 feet.
25%-99%: The range of this power is 60 feet
100% The range of this power is 60 feet and the target has disadvantage on the Wisdom Save.

Mindblade
You can create a semisolid blade composed of psychic energy distilled from your own mind. You are always proficient with this blade.  The blade is identical in all ways except visually to the weapon it mimics. If the blade is broken or lost, the blade can be reformed at no action at the start of you turn or as a reaction on another creature's turn.

Focus
Less than 25%: The blade is a dagger.
25%-50%: The blade is a short sword.
51-75%: The blade is longsword.
76%-99%: The blade is a bastard sword
100%: The blade is a greatsword

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

My vision for psionics is to see some kind of fatigue resource mechanic for casting their powers.  However they handle it, psions need to be able to communicate telepathically to those nearby without burning resources.  It should be something that they can just do.

Now I can see them all not being able to do this.  Maybe psion gets divided into the specialties telepaths and kinetics, with the ability to dabble in their non-specialty as they level.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

Maybe the Bard is going to be psionic.  It would make sense, especially if they go the Celtic Bard route, emphasizing the mental training and the effect of music and story on the mind.
Power points instead of expertise dice, and their more powerful abilities requiring a short rest to refocus and use them again.

Utilities being at-will to avoid the vancian mess and have a built-in concentration mechanics, or requiring meditation to manifest instead of having rituals.

And if they could use bones, blood, skin and teeth instead of girly crystals to create items of power or tatoos, psychic people would become very interesting people to draw or paint.
Well hell.  For some reason, when I update my signature, it sometimes just doesn't work.

It should be working now.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
Well hell.  For some reason, when I update my signature, it sometimes just doesn't work.

Not bad.  I have to admit that I'd personally like to back off the expertise dice on upcoming classes.  Expertise dice are great, but expanding it beyond the martial classes (to me) reeks of "martial finally got something nice.  Quick, lets steal it for casters!"  Not that you intended that way.  But, I'd love it if the underdogs of D&D got to keep their unique something nice.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

Not bad.  I have to admit that I'd personally like to back off the expertise dice on upcoming classes.  Expertise dice are great, but expanding it beyond the martial classes (to me) reeks of "martial finally got something nice.  Quick, lets steal it for casters!"  Not that you intended that way.  But, I'd love it if the underdogs of D&D got to keep their unique something nice.

Two thoughts:
1) I wrote it waaaay back, when PT2 came out, and before "Expertise is for everyone!" was the thing.  I actually don't like Expertise being everywhere being the thing either, but personally I'm more open to using the same framework on something conceptually distinct.  Because there's less actual overlap ("maneuver" overlap would never be an issue here), for one.

2) I don't remember if it's in the document, but the reason I went with it was that I wanted to make Psionics feel like "martial magic".  To me, psionics as a thang is most engaging when it's always-available, and restricted - at most - by physical and mental fatigue.  It's something I actually worked on for 4e as well, with the release of the Essentials classes.  To me, the things folks like to say are "appropriate-for-martial-characters" mechanics (where they want to see any distinction like that at all) always feel like "appropriate-for-psionic-characters" mechanics as well.

ANYWHO.  That was my answer to the thread title. 
Feedback Disclaimer

Two thoughts:
1) I wrote it waaaay back, when PT2 came out, and before "Expertise is for everyone!" was the thing.  I actually don't like Expertise being everywhere being the thing either, but personally I'm more open to using the same framework on something conceptually distinct.  Because there's less actual overlap ("maneuver" overlap would never be an issue here), for one.

2) I don't remember if it's in the document, but the reason I went with it was that I wanted to make Psionics feel like "martial magic".  To me, psionics as a thang is most engaging when it's always-available, and restricted - at most - by physical and mental fatigue.  It's something I actually worked on for 4e as well, with the release of the Essentials classes.  To me, the things folks like to say are "appropriate-for-martial-characters" mechanics (where they want to see any distinction like that at all) always feel like "appropriate-for-psionic-characters" mechanics as well.

ANYWHO.  That was my answer to the thread title. 

Well, we seem to be coming from the same place then.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

I think that because Psionic power is explained as coming from the PC themselves (internal) as opposed from other sources like arcane and divine powers (external), there should be a limited number of powers a Psion can use and maintain before it spreads their power too thin be effective.

Example: A first level Psion has access to 5 Psionic Power Points (PPP) that can be used how he sees fit. At the start of combat, he uses 2 points to manifest a longsword to attack with. He then has 3 points to use in his turn. He uses 2 more points and ends his turn with 1 point left. When his next turn starts, he regains the points he used in his last turn, with the exception of the points used to manifest his longsword. So he would have 3 points to use in his second turn.

Maybe as combat wears on, he amount of points he'd get at the beginning of his turn would slowly decrease, since using psionic powers would put a strain on his mind and body.

Thoughts?
I think that because Psionic power is explained as coming from the PC themselves (internal) as opposed from other sources like arcane and divine powers (external), there should be a limited number of powers a Psion can use and maintain before it spreads their power too thin be effective.

-snip-

Thoughts?

I think that there's no reason to limit psionics more than arcane or divine just because it comes from within.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

Thoughts?

I think that there's no reason to limit psionics more than arcane or divine just because it comes from within.

This limit would raise as the character leveled, to show for an increased mastery of their defining features in the same way the other classes do the same. (Ex: the spell gain a wizard has from 1-20.) The limit they would have at level one would be balanced like other classes.

Thoughts?

This limit would raise as the character leveled, to show for an increased mastery of their defining features in the same way the other classes do the same. (Ex: the spell gain a wizard has from 1-20.) The limit they would have at level one would be balanced like other classes.

What it sounds like you're saying is that, even with the limits in place, the psion would still be balanced against the other classes.  So that would imply that you're giving them more power then intentionally limiting them.  That seems rather complex for no discernable purpose.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

* Psionic with power points, and only psionic.

* I would like suggest "psiloi" for name for the pshychic warrior class. (I love the idea of using names from ancient History).

* A module about zones or anti-magic powers, because if PCs aren´t affected by dead-magic fields, the XPs rewards should be differents.

* Ardent is a very interesting psionic archetype, like "alternative" to D&D clergy, with a relation love-hate and rivalry. (Gods could gift extra psionic points, a special pool, like be used for metapsionic feats). 

* Fist of Zuoken could be a psionic monk speciality/theme/subclass/build.

* Wilder is a interesting idea, but I suggest a different type of backlash, something like failure by mixed potions or scrolls mishap.

* Some "traps" could be created by means of psionic powers by subconscious. I like the idea some astral constructs are created unwittingly by wilder´s backslash effects, but I don´t know it should  give XPs reward.

* Fraals (little grey men from Star*Drive setting and AD&D canon monsters) and blue goblin (I suggest the name azur) should can be PC races.

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

Where is it stated psionics will be in the PHB?

The only mention of psionics in 5th Ed I have seen so far is in the 1st Bestiary (Grey Ooze), they don't even mention psionics in the Mind Flayer entry in the latest bestiary (just psychic damage).
Where is it stated psionics will be in the PHB?

The only mention of psionics in 5th Ed I have seen so far is in the 1st Bestiary (Grey Ooze), they don't even mention psionics in the Mind Flayer entry in the latest bestiary (just psychic damage).

I think that refers to early dev statements that, IIRC, since psionics were in a PH, Psions would be in the next PH... though I am not usre they are sticking to that line-up, as it seems they might adding at least one class (Dragon Sorcerer/Gish in addition to Sorcerer).

To the OP: I would like to see Power Points, as an encounter resource (to differentiate them from daily Spells and at-will Maneuvers).

Also, Battlemind! Alternatively, any psionic melee class that can turn into metal and telekinetically pull enemies to them.
Power points recovered each turn like Expertise Dice allow easy "martial psionics" application, and enforce the flavor of psionics being an individual "natural" source of power, just like another set of muscles and training.

And it would be nice from a multiclass point of view. 
Like my avatar

Psionic power is traditionally draining, why would your power points return every round? I mean I can see your most basic manifestations being at-will, but the power points you use to boost those things into head-asplodey or mountain tossing would need a bit before they com eback.
Power Points being like mana or willpower would be the easiest way, but given the spell systems are modular that's not really enough to define psionics as a whole. 

As such, I'd divorce psionic power points from the actual casting of spells and leave that up to spells per day or willpower dependant on the player (with the assumption being willpower). 
Instead, I'd have power points work like 4e where they augment powers. However, instead of a seperate list for every power which makes each spell two or three spells I'd make a generic list, potentially tied to build. So the psion can change the energy type of a spell by spending power points, increase the damage, add some feet to the range or area of effect, and the like. The powers become more modular. Some of the odder utility powers might have their own unique options, but those should be the exception not the rule. 

This retains the flavour of the psion being a flexible class even in a game where the wizard could cast spells spontaneously .

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

...Example: A first level Psion has access to 5 Psionic Power Points (PPP) that can be used how he sees fit. At the start of combat, he uses 2 points to manifest a longsword to attack with. He then has 3 points to use in his turn. He uses 2 more points and ends his turn with 1 point left. When his next turn starts, he regains the points he used in his last turn, with the exception of the points used to manifest his longsword. So he would have 3 points to use in his second turn...

This is a lot like the system I'm working on. Except you don't just get all the points back ED style, you recharge a certain amount at the end of each turn. (Wilder will always be 1, Psion will get a higher number that increases with level.) You pick a few disciplines and those give you access to a bunch of different powers and a slew of augments to craft them as you see fit.

For things like the soulknife ability (which I'm making a discipline) you use Psionic Focus. Powers with the Psionic Focus keyword will last until you dismiss it, and you don't recharge the points used for that power while it's active. (Basically what you just described, except there's no need to wait until the start of combat to manifest it. Psionic Focus basically makes it an at-will ability.) There's also Burning points, which expends them until your next extended rest. (daily resource.) So if you want to be a 100% at-will psionic character, use all your points on Focus powers. If you want to be something more akin to point managing, use Burn and normal manifesting.

Very very alpha type up in my sig. Check it out if you want, but those ideas are quite raw and not a perfect representation of what I want. (Too heavy of a read.) I was working on the Telekinesis, Telepath, and Animal Affinity disciplines, but school stuff got in the way. :c

[Added]

...Instead, I'd have power points work like 4e where they augment powers. However, instead of a seperate list for every power which makes each spell two or three spells I'd make a generic list, potentially tied to build. So the psion can change the energy type of a spell by spending power points, increase the damage, add some feet to the range or area of effect, and the like. The powers become more modular. Some of the odder utility powers might have their own unique options, but those should be the exception not the rule.
This retains the flavour of the psion being a flexible class even in a game where the wizard could cast spells spontaneously .

Have you seen aFrozenSoul's Psion? He uses a list of keyword effects that you can pin to any power. Is that kind of what you're talking about? (My type up is more like 4e's style with unique augments. Except instead of still having the same number of powers with each one having a few augments; I have very few powers per discipline with a ton of augments that makes them become the higher level abilities. I'm trying to create a feel that you're not getting "new telekinesis powers" as you level up, you're getting better at Telekinesis itself and can do more with it.)
Monks have not traditionally been a psionic class and I don't know why they made them one.

Some great ideas in this thread. But I would keep the casting mechanic for psions as power points for casting and for augmenting. I played a lot of 3E psionics and I thought it worked out great.

I hope they return the soulknife, which is probably my favorite class in all of D&D.
Monks have not traditionally been a psionic class and I don't know why they made them one.

I would like the removal of Ki for the monk.

Too culturally specific. 

Yeh mental focus sucks as a concept  
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Remember, kids:

• Paladins MUST be LG = good

• Monks MUST call it "ki" = bad

They are both the exact same damn thing: the rules defining who a charater is.  Actually, the monk ki thing is meaningless, as there's no mechanical screwjob for calling it "awesomesauce" insead.

Psionic power is traditionally draining, why would your power points return every round? I mean I can see your most basic manifestations being at-will, but the power points you use to boost those things into head-asplodey or mountain tossing would need a bit before they com eback.

It depends of what we want from psionics.

If At-will are the prime aspect of psionics, managing the PP ressource round per round makes sense. Maintaining effects with psionics should be a more conscious effort than with magic IMO.
The draining part could be encounter class features.

We already have the daily based supernatural class : wizard (clerics are a special case, with the healing bot return)
We already have the encounter based supernatural class with secondary strong at-will abilities (the warlock, if it keeps a similar profile)
The spot a psion can occupy is at-will based supernatural class with secondary strong encounter abilities. And this profile would allow classes with staying powers like soulknives to exist within a normalized psionic profile.

If PPs are just a mana system for "psion" tagged wizards like in 3rd edition, then I don't see a reason for psions to exist.
The 4th edition psion had dailies, which was as bad as for a fighter, and augmentable At-will powers system that didn't work well.
If we keep the old models, we will end with the classic D&D psionics with minimal support. 
I've removed content from this thread. Baiting/Trolling is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: http://company.wizards.com/conduct

Please remember to keep your posts polite and on topic and refrain from making personal attacks. 
I would much prefer psionics to be just be an arcane paradigm or tradition and simply be termed as "mind magic". How I see psionics was inspired and designed in D&D was from science fiction and not medieval fantasy which feels very out of place IMHO. I don't see why psionics can't be converted to arcane magic when some wizard spells are already techincally "psionic" in utility. 
I'm sure this will be blasphemy to many, but why not just kill psionics and let martial and arcane take its stuff?

Mental magic already overlaps with enchantment spells. Have an arcane tradition or whatever that focuses on mental spells. You can refluff it however you want (my magic comes from inside me instead of external energy or rituals) and if magic systems are truly modular you could even assign psionics a mana point system while keeping other casters with spell slots if you wanted a mechanical difference (I did something like this in 2e/3e using the Players Option: Spells and Magic systems).

The mind over matter, enhancing your body through focus and discipline stuff sounds a lot like something a martial class should be able to do anyway, so just make it an option available through specialties or something.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
I think the biggest obsticle isn't really in game mechanics (those should have been diversified from the on set) but rather, in getting people into the mind set of playing a psionic character. Everyone knows how a fighter/wizard/paladin tend the behave however when it comes to Psions most folks draw a blank. It could go a long way if we can better define who and what these people are.
I would much prefer psionics to be just be an arcane paradigm or tradition and simply be termed as "mind magic". How I see psionics was inspired and designed in D&D was from science fiction and not medieval fantasy which feels very out of place IMHO. I don't see why psionics can't be converted to arcane magic when some wizard spells are already techincally "psionic" in utility. 

I  just can give my point of view.

Spells are passive (you save against the spell), psionics are active (the psychic feel and act without the spell mechanics filters).
Magic is a tool, psionics are an extension of the user.

If people who like to play psychic power wielders wanted to play and feel like specialist wizards, they would play this specialist wizard.
In 4th edition, for example, playing an essential enchanter with psionic races and feats, was far better to incarnate a telepath than playing a telepath psion. But it wasn't OK, it just felt frustrating.

I'm all for getting rid of all the new age and nonsense terminology (from where medieval people can get the word psionics ? even biology is a too modern word), but psychic powers treated like spells is like changing weapon attacks into DCs to save against with AC rolls. 
Psychic powers can have their own fantasy quality, even stone age oriented, without tagging them magic.
4th edition tagged everything magic, and it solved absolutly nothing.
I think the biggest obsticle isn't really in game mechanics (those should have been diversified from the on set) but rather, in getting people into the mind set of playing a psionic character. Everyone knows how a fighter/wizard/paladin tend the behave however when it comes to Psions most folks draw a blank. It could go a long way if we can better define who and what these people are.

Exactly.

The devs have done this with the druid or the paladin since the start, classes that have little in common with their "real" counterparts, but they never characterized the psions.
If this work was made beyond giving crystals to psions in 3rd edition, Psionics and related term wouldn't even still exist. Or the terminology would have been closely linked to D&D cosmology, feeling close to alchemy for example (ether for the telepathy and "conjuration", elements for the psychokinesis part).

D&D has its own "science" based on four elements and different psychic layers (as there are even spirits based on the material plane with 4th ed. Primal). Psions, or the different chosen term, should function by following the D&D "science", not "our" science.

The profile they could have is the witch or shaman one. Witches are all about spirit, incarnate or uncarnate. They can be illiterates as they predate writing. Like all shamanic traditions, the practice is about discovering the secrets of the world(s). And witches or shamans come in many forms.

Another profile could be supernatural accident. D&D has a lot of spirits, from undead to fey, and even elementals if they are considered like elemental spirits. The apparition of psychic powers could be the result of an exposition to spirits influence, ranging from the little psychic trick of a fey to demonic possession. Or just the reaction to another psychic power wielder actions. They would be master exorcists.

I have the same reaction to "make psionics fit into arcana" as I have with "make guns work like crossbows." Why shove off the people who want it to be different just so the people who DON'T want the differentness can avoid saying no? If all we wanted was some refluff goop, we could of just refluffed it ourselves.

I would rather see Psionics in a supplement book then present in the PHB in a bastardized form. Hell, I would rather see it killed off then meshed in with magic. At least that would reduce the confusion when I house-rule in a proper power source.

I have the same reaction to "make psionics fit into arcana" as I have with "make guns work like crossbows." Why shove off the people who want it to be different just so the people who DON'T want the differentness can avoid saying no? If all we wanted was some refluff goop, we could of just refluffed it ourselves.

I would rather see Psionics in a supplement book then present in the PHB in a bastardized form. Hell, I would rather see it killed off then meshed in with magic. At least that would reduce the confusion when I house-rule in a proper power source.

I think there's a significant difference between just treating psionics like the arcane and treating guns like crossbows.  For one, psionics hasn't been gimped into uselessness throughout the editions while guns have been.

@bone_naga: I don't really care if there's overlap between arcana and psionics.  I mean, we put up with overlap between arcane and divine.  And let's not forget the ovelap of arcane magic and mundane skillfullness.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

I think there's a significant difference between just treating psionics like the arcane and treating guns like crossbows.  For one, psionics hasn't been gimped into uselessness throughout the editions while guns have been...

I was talking more about the emptiness of the solution "simply reskin crossbows and call them guns." A simple refluff like that doesn't really do the gun concept justice IMO. Likewise, if you just create a Wizard subclass or another arcane class and call it a Psion, you're not doing the psionic concept justice. The problems (gimped guns and unfitting fluff) are totally different. But, I don't know, those specific solutions both give me the same feel of, "why would you even bother teasing us like this? Don't say you offer something then give us a reskin of something else."
I think there's a significant difference between just treating psionics like the arcane and treating guns like crossbows.  For one, psionics hasn't been gimped into uselessness throughout the editions while guns have been...

I was talking more about the emptiness of the solution "simply reskin crossbows and call them guns." A simple refluff like that doesn't really do the gun concept justice IMO. Likewise, if you just create a Wizard subclass or another arcane class and call it a Psion, you're not doing the psionic concept justice. The problems (gimped guns and unfitting fluff) are totally different. But, I don't know, those specific solutions both give me the same feel of, "why would you even bother teasing us like this? Don't say you offer something then give us a reskin of something else."

I can certainly agree with you psionics needs to have its own identity.  A large part of that is because psionics doesn't fit into traditional fantasy.  However, if you are doing a modern fantasy, futuristic fantasy, or alternate fantasy (like Dark Sun) then it can often become a very important part of the genre.  I would like to see two flavors of psionics.  The first is the postmodern kind of psionics that deals with things similar to the force, the psychic abilities of star trek races, and the telekinesis and pyrokinesis we've seen in superheroes.  The second is a more traditional european type of psychic, the spiritualist type of psychic that goes back the gypsies using tarot cards and crystal balls.  That second flavor has a fair amount of overlap with arcane magic, particularly necomancy and divination magic, but it also is the kind of psionics that fits best in the traditional fantasy environment.

Also, the main reason why I want to see a rule giving us guns as a refluff of crossbows is because, after the past 3 editions, I don't really trust them to do it right (if they bother to do it at all).

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

To be honest, I don't think D&D has really done psionics justice in the past. I feel like it is better off being a tradition of magic rather than its own thing because I feel that in the past it has either not really felt like its own thing, or it was so bizzarely handled that it didn't really seem to fit in the game at all.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
In the 80's, you could throw ninja robots, mini flying cthulhus, and pirats with psychic powers in the same film, book or game without being questioned by anyone. Monks and psionics are this side of the 80's legacy from D&D.
90's have opened the world to more asian medieval fantasy, so the monks were back in the 3rd edition without problem.

Now, the mindflayer or astral plane are accepted, even if it's total new age and grotesque Sci-fi backgrounds, but an entire class based on these backgrounds falls flat. Even more because new age was a mix including concepts inspired by the asian culture like Ki, or others coming from shamanism, and of course all the existing religions. And not every new age club used the same mix.

Keeping an identity based on a passed spiritual movement is an evident mistake IMO.

The devs have to determine the nature of psychic powers within the D&D cosmology, and then reinvent the psychic power wielder in D&D. And if they keep term like psionics, it should be with a really good reason for these people to call their abilities like that.

Instead of another crappy witch class or a spirit enslaving shaman, I think it would be better to give them back their focus on psychic abilities and give them a unique place.