D&D Music

So, inspired by this tread, community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... I wonder what music gets you in the mindset for D&D? 

Personally, the band Hammerfall is the one I go to when designing encounters and world-building. I've also found various soundtracks fit the tempo of my games, Gladiator, Braveheart and the Rock are favorites.

As far as my players go their list is;

Leaves Eyes

Blackmore's Night

Loreena Mckennitt

Clannad

Nightwish

Within Temptation

Emilie Autum

Xandria

Blind Guardian

Epica

Lunatica 

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Movie soundtracks figure heavily, including LotR, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, and the original Conan the Barbarian.
I tend to use whatever I can to set the mood I want. The other day I did a horror session so I used some fatal frame and silent hill tracks.

Overall I use a lot of Xenogears OST and other fantasy type music.

Also, starting a session off with Dragonforce is not a bad way to get the players energized.
My two copper.
Movie soundtracks figure heavily, including LotR, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, and the original Conan the Barbarian.

Do you even play the Brian Adams track at the end of the session?
My two copper.
E.T

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

LotR and Avengers soundtracks, definitely.
Orkbard, your taste in music is similar to my own. 

As for in-game music, when I'm putting an effort towards mood music, rather than just having a generic soundtrack on in the background, it varies considerably depending on the mood I wish to convey.  I used the Hellraiser soundtrack for a ghost focused short campaign, Evanescence and Disturbed for a campaign focused on vendettas and vengeance, and the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks for a war campaign with skyships and githyanki.  Babylon 5 television soundtrack is one of my favorite fallbacks, however.

Edit: Oh, and lest I forget, I used a heavy metal arrangement of Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy VI for the climatic battle of one campaign. 

All around helpful simian

I generally feel the same way about this as I do about the movies mentioned in the companion thread, that no song, band, or genre can really fit the bill for all since playstles are so widely divergent.  I will say however, that if you can find something that is both appropriate to your group's playstyle and that has few to no lyrics (so it doesn't interfere with talking around the table) you're probably good.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

Oh! And boss battles rock with the Black Mages' rendition of the ffvii boss music.
My two copper.
Mostly old-school and underground rock and metal.

Led Zeppelin, Dio, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Yes, Uriah Heep, Metallica (especially AJFA), Blind Guardian, Helloween, Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Triumph, Rush, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Edguy, Hammerfall, Manowar, Lost Horizon, Falconer, Iron Maiden, Elvenking, Vintersorg, Therion, Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire, Queen, Pink Floyd, The Sword, Amon Amarth, Bal-Sagoth, etc etc etc.

For those of you interested, the band Blind Guardian did a song about Raistlin called "The Soulforged." It's pretty totally awesome.   

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

http://radiofreeborderlands.libsyn.com/

Do you even play the Brian Adams track at the end of the session?

I most certainly do.  What, you don't?

I'm also working my kids' up to the culmination of a two-year-long campaign.  Tomb of Horrors.  I'm going to put together a mix-tape of Dead Can Dance tracks.

In addition to a lot of the above, Heather Dale, depending on the setting or session theme.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

Enya also makes for some pretty dramatic moments. The track from LotR "May it be" is particularly awesome.
My two copper.
I find myself using tracks from many of the movies already posted, as well as games such as Neverwinter Nights, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon Age, and World of Warcraft (which really has an extensive musical library with good ambient tracks for virtually any locale on its own.)  I keep playlists on hand for different places and keep the music low, to help set the tone.

EDIT: Also, the 2004 Battlestar Galactica series had some amazing music. 
No mention of Midnight Syndicate or Nox Arcana?  (They did some more fantasy oriented albums, but I tend to run dark/gothic fantasy as my recurring theme anyway)

Mostly old-school and underground rock and metal.

Led Zeppelin, Dio, Black Sabbath, Rainbow, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Yes, Uriah Heep, Metallica (especially AJFA), Blind Guardian, Helloween, Fates Warning, Dream Theater, Triumph, Rush, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Edguy, Hammerfall, Manowar, Lost Horizon, Falconer, Iron Maiden, Elvenking, Vintersorg, Therion, Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire, Queen, Pink Floyd, The Sword, Amon Amarth, Bal-Sagoth, etc etc etc.

For those of you interested, the band Blind Guardian did a song about Raistlin called "The Soulforged." It's pretty totally awesome.   

Right on!!

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
Enya also makes for some pretty dramatic moments.

She would be lost without reverb!  ...well, so would I...

Hawkwind and Blue Oyster Cult (Cultosaurus).

Actually, I prefer no music, as a musician it can distract me, especially if I like it. 
No mention of Midnight Syndicate or Nox Arcana?

Oh I have no idea how I forgot to mention them, I listen to their stuff a lot while I plot, especially Midnight Syndicate.
depends on what we are doing in the campaign
but somtimes i like playing stuff from the gregorians, they do modern songs in the gregorian chant style.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwL9i5DWkyw

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7c44bXST-o

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipouElsybfs&list...
So, inspired by this tread, community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... I wonder what music gets you in the mindset for D&D? 

Personally, the band Hammerfall is the one I go to when designing encounters and world-building. I've also found various soundtracks fit the tempo of my games, Gladiator, Braveheart and the Rock are favorites.

As far as my players go their list is;

Leaves Eyes

Blackmore's Night

Loreena Mckennitt

Clannad

Nightwish

Within Temptation

Emilie Autum

Xandria

Blind Guardian

Epica

Lunatica 

Your taste in music is practically identical to mine except I put in a lot of movie soundtracks and world music.  I am untrained in musics proper labels but music of middle eastern themes, and asian themes play into my 'soundtrack' often.  During my play sessions I used to queue music up to scenes, but it turned out to be more trouble than its worth, so now i just make a playlist reflecting the mood I am trying to convey through out the adventure.  It is much more natural. 

Before I used to hit play on my casette player, cd changer, or MP3 player depending what years we are talking about  It just seemed forced when I did that.  Now I just let the playlist play on repeat.

If there is a switch in that nights adventure in moods, and I foresee it, I will have appropriate playlists prepared.

CAMRA preserves and protects real ale from the homogenization of modern beer production. D&D Grognards are the CAMRA of D&D!
Nox Arcana for the win!
You want mood music for a gothic adventure? There's an album for that. Pirate adventure? An album for that. They have a ton of albums, running along a theme, and there are a lot of songs per album.

Nox Arcana..
Nox Arcana..
Nox Arcana.
"If it's not a conjuration, how did the wizard con·jure/ˈkänjər/Verb 1. Make (something) appear unexpectedly or seemingly from nowhere as if by magic. it?" -anon "Why don't you read fire·ball / fī(-ə)r-ˌbȯl/ and see if you can find the key word con.jure /'kən-ˈju̇r/ anywhere in it." -Maxperson
Enya also makes for some pretty dramatic moments.

She would be lost without reverb!  ...well, so would I...

Hawkwind and Blue Oyster Cult (Cultosaurus).

Actually, I prefer no music, as a musician it can distract me, especially if I like it. 

BOC's Cultasaurus Erectus is a great album (Black Blade!) but the one that always works for me is Fire of Unknown Origin.

And since people are mentioning soundtracks (and yes, the Midnight Syndicate D&D Soundtrack is enjoyable) I would also mention the Heavy Metal soundtrack (from the 1981 cult animated film) 

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Explore the new D&D podcast that is a celebration of all eras of the game! Discussing the loves, challenges, topics, ideas, and news of this great hobby in both a contemporary and historical view.

For those who don't have the time/money to build a custom playlist:

-Go to Pandora.com
-Search for and select "epic soundtrack" station
-Leave playing in background
"Ha! Rock beats scissors!" "Darn it! Rock is overpowered! I'm not playing this again until the next edition is released!" "C'mon, just one more." "Oh, all right..." "Wait, what is that?" "Its 'Dynamite' from the expanded rules." "Just because you can afford to buy every supplement that comes out..." "Hey, it's completely balanced! You're just a bad DM for not accommodating it."
Show
RPGs are getting more popular, and whenever something gets more popular, it inevitably changes, usually becoming more palatable to the masses. Nintendo is the perfect example. In the old days their games coined the term "Nintendo hard" to extend play time, but they knew their fans were dedicated enough to play anyway. Now they mostly make stuff a five year old can master. That's not necessarily bad, though. Most of those old Nintendo games were infuriating. Likewise, a lot of old RPGs were too complex and irritating for the average person to really get into. Rules light systems are going to get more popular as more people enter the hobby, simply because the new people aren't bound by nostalgia, and would rather play something easy and fun than something that takes a huge amount of effort to learn.
Dream Theater and Stratovarius
I add Neurosis.
Dream Theater and Stratovarius

Dream Theater will always have a connection with D&D to me. I started playing right around when Images & Words came out, and that album was played around our table many times.

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

If we're listing off groups/composers that we use for our games, I'm going to toss in some others from my library:
King Crimson
The Message
Iced Earth
Akira Yamaoka
John Carpenter
Ennio Morricone
Danny Elfman
Jerry Goldsmith

And a massive load of OSTs like; The Mummy ('99), The Crow (original score), BBC's Merlin, Doctor Who, Zelda, Amnesia, Dark Souls/Demon Souls, Half-Life, Eternal Darkness, and Resident Evil.

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
My all time favorite is Lisa Gerrard. The stuff she did in the 80's with the bad Dead Can Dance was awesome.  Also I enjoy the movie soundtracks she did for Gladiator, Wale Rider, etc.
  Very good gamer music.

I only have one player that gets really distracted by music with lyrics, so what's on the table depends on whether or not that player is in the game I'm running that night. (we have a handful of concurrently running games)

Metallica S&M has both familiarity and the desired musical qualities. (familiarity being important to reduce distraction.)

Movie and game soundtracks, of course. One of my favorites is the music from DDO.

Eberron games especially get a lot of mileage out of the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack.

Music made for use with The One Ring RPG by Cubicle 7
www.youtube.com/watch?v=na595boLk0Q&list...

music from Lyndsey Sterling, like this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCL94-MsxYc&list...

and the piano guys: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgovv8jWETM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=09RUuTAM2H0

and String Quartet covers like: www.youtube.com/watch?v=09RUuTAM2H0

and of course, an odd assortment of classical pieces I've picked up, ranging from The Hall of The Mountain King by Grieg, to Chopin's Nocturnes.

OH! Also, some good ole gypsy jazz usually livens things up. www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6uXGSTfz_4&feat...

especially when it's a classic: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ti5f-LHp4&feat...
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome

and of course, an odd assortment of classical pieces I've picked up, ranging from The Hall of The Mountain King by Grieg, to Chopin's Nocturnes.

Whew!  I thought I was going to look old by suggesting Carmina Burana.
So... it depends on the mood I want the players to be in. I've been starting sessions' recaps with The A Team theme. If I want the PCs to be paranoid, I transition to something from Requiem for a Dream. I often use VNV Nation and Neuroticfish-type music for combat heavy sessions. For exploring, I use movie soundtracks and video game music (usually Vagrant Story). I rarely am content w/ a default metal/rock station, although both often find their way into playlists.
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls
For background music during games, I have found the Final Fantasy Tactics OST to be quite good.

Also, I have occasionaly taken to using the "YOU FAIL" jingle from The Price is Right whenever a player's action goes horribly wrong. lol 

Just roll some dice.

RADIO FREE BORDERLANDS:

Whew!  I thought I was going to look old by suggesting Carmina Burana.

Oh, good one.

also, I often use soundbites like the final fantasy victory music in lighthearted sessions or campaigns.
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome