Human Battlemind|Warlock, or "How to go mad keeping track of what powers you may take"

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I want to build a hybrid Battlemind|Warlock similar to the Darth Vader build, but I forgot how much of a headache it is to hybrid a psionic class to a non-psionic class.  I'm trying to figure out if this build works properly to my purposes.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
does this work, level 6
Human, Battlemind/Warlock
Eldritch Pact (Hybrid) Option: Vestige Pact (Hybrid)
Hybrid Warlock Option: Hybrid Warlock Will
Psionic Augmentation (Hybrid) Option: Hybrid Encounter Power
Hybrid Talent Option: Warlock Pact Boon
Eldritch Strike Option: Eldritch Strike Constitution
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
Assassin (Assassin Benefit)
Theme: Gladiator

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 19, DEX 11, INT 16, WIS 8, CHA 14

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 16, DEX 11, INT 15, WIS 8, CHA 14

AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 19 Will: 19
HP: 57 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 14

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +12, Bluff +12, Endurance +12, Stealth +9, Thievery +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Athletics +3, Diplomacy +7, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +6, Insight +2, Intimidate +6, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +6, Streetwise +5

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Gladiator Feature: Disrupting Advance
Battlemind Feature: Battlemind's Demand
Battlemind Feature: Mind Spike
Warlock's Curse  Power: Warlock's Curse
Artificer Feature: Healing Infusion: Resistive Formula
Artificer Feature: Healing Infusion: Curative Admixture
Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Strike
Warlock Attack 1: Clarion Call
Warlock Attack 1: Eyes of the Vestige
Warlock Attack 1: Armor of Agathys
Battlemind Utility 2: Telepathic Challenge
Battlemind Attack 3: Lodestone Lure
Battlemind Attack 5: Nightmare Vortex
Warlock Utility 6: Mirror Darkly

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 1: Student of Artifice
Level 2: Staff Expertise
Level 4: Hafted Defense
Level 6: Mark of Warding

ITEMS
Amulet of Seduction +1 x1
Leather Armor of Dark Majesty +1 x1
Sacrificial Quarterstaff +2 x1
Rushing Cleats x1
====== End ======

Hybrid Talent: Pact Boon is actually more important for play at higher levels.  The higher level vestige pact dailies have some very nice defender effects.  However, this doesn't really help me too much right now, and I'm wondering if I even need it: do the vestige dailies grant you the pact boon if you don't already have the pact boon feature?

Student of Artifice is there to get staff implements so I can cast in melee without provoking.  Depending on the choice of powers, this may allow me significant control at range despite defending at the same time.

The Battlemind problem with opportunity attacks is solved by Eldritch Strike + Rushing Cleats.

When you pick a 3rd level at-will, it overwrites your 1st level at-will (stupid hybrid rules), so I have Lodestone Lure.  I'm not sure whether I need that more than Conductive Defense.  7th level will, of course, be Lightning Rush.

I figure that my battlemind utilities should all focus on multimarking since I don't have a lot of power points to spare.

Sacrificial Weapon is very nice since it's a 6+ item, and I can spare 1 of my 11 surges to weaken a target.

My AC is rather low, only slightly ameliorated by Armor of Dark Mastery (sure doesn't help that it's a 4+ armor).

Amulet of Seduction serves for now, but it will become obsolete quickly as the attack bonus falls behind.

Future concerns:
*   Twofold Pact (dark) to gain darkspiral aura for the catch-22 effect
*   Bloodied Boon (mostly to really cheese out on Darkspiral Aura and the crazy higher level vestige boons
*   There is no way to get psychic damage on a staff => no Psychic Lock.  In order to keep the "don't provoke" benefit, is it worth it to give up Rushing Cleats for Survivor's Boots?  How about using Mighty Crusader Expertise and spending some extra money on a holy symbol?

My AC is rather low, only slightly ameliorated by Armor of Dark Mastery (sure doesn't help that it's a 4+ armor).

Rather is an understatement. You are at level+14 which is horrible. Even pure strikers can achieve level+15 at the lowest, and someone who plans to mark should have at least level+18.

I'm not sure why you want to take multimarking powers, because it will result in you promptly getting beat into the dirt.  Marks don't work if the monsters are happy to attack you, and you will be killed before you can curse everyone for your armor property to work. All the defender tricks you're looking at are useless if you're squishier than the rest of the party.

TL;DR HT: Battlemind Prof. will get your AC where it needs to be.
@ The Thread title: Try playing a Wizard|Fighter.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.