Pumping up +1/+1

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lots of noob questions coming.  If a creature has an ability to add +1/+1 by tapping a land and the only symbol under the ability is the land symbol, does that mean you can pump it up as many times as you want or only once?  It does not have the X plus the land symbol, just the land symbol.
you can pump Liliana's Shade as often as you can pay

if you couldn't, it would say so, like on Rootwalla
proud member of the 2011 community team
Activated abilities can be used as many times as you can afford to pay the activation cost (activated abilities are the ones written in the form "[cost]: [effect]"). If the ability can only be used a limited number of times, it will say so
That is what I thought, thanks folks.
Lots of noob questions coming.  If a creature has an ability to add +1/+1 by tapping a land and the only symbol under the ability is the land symbol, does that mean you can pump it up as many times as you want or only once?  It does not have the X plus the land symbol, just the land symbol.

note: that symbol isn't a land symbol (though it does show on the lands)

it's a mana symbol (see some below)

(/)(/)(/)(/)(/)

lands often produce mana (but not always)
eg. Forests produces green mana () - the symbol is printed on the forest to remind you what mana it produces
Izzet Guildgate produces either red () or blue () mana

non-lands can produce mana too
eg. Copper Myr or Llanowar Elves or Birds of Paradise

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

It does not have the X plus the land symbol, just the land symbol.

Even if it has X in its activation cost, you may still use it many times in a row, as long as you can afford the cost!

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

Also note, that everything before the colon is the activation cost, this can include the symbol, sacrificing creatures, disarding cards, etc.,  even somthing beneficial to you (like putting loyalty counters on planeswalkers to activate one of their abilities). You have to pay the whole cost for each activation, not just the mana part (if there is one).
Sign In to post comments