Taken: Kidnap for Fun and Profit

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Taken: Kidnap for Fun and Profit

I don't know who you are.
I don't know what you want.
If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money.
But what I do have are a very particular set of items; items I have acquired over a very long career.
Items that make me a nightmare for controllers like you…

This may have been discussed elsewhere here without my seeing it, but lately I've been entertained by the interaction between Voidcrystal Weapons and the Exodus Knife.

In most situations, this is not going to be close to tactically optimal, but sometimes you just need to settle something mano-a-mano.  Maybe there’s an enemy controller wreaking havoc on your party, negating your usual defender tricks.  Maybe you’ve got a blood oath sworn against some particularly nasty baddie, and you want him all to yourself…I don't know, maybe he took your daughter or something.

Turn 1

Minor Action: Hit the Target
Doesn’t matter how, just be sure to use your trusty Voidcrystal Weapon.  (If you don’t have minor action attacks by low paragon when this comes on line, you probably have no business Taking in the first place.)

Free Action: Activate

Voidcrystal Weapon

Power (Teleportation) Daily (Free Action)

Use this power when you hit a creature with this weapon. The target disappears from the world until the start of your next turn, at which point the target reappears in an unoccupied space of your choice within 3 squares of you.

Free Action: Say something suitably dramatic, so that allies and enemies alike are now aware of the degree of unbridled bad-assery going on right here as a the BBEG disappears from the world.  Seriously, "disappears from the world."  That's not even flavor text.

Standard Action: Activate 
Exodus Knife

Wondrous Item
Power Daily (Standard Action)

When you use the exodus knife to trace a doorway onto a solid object, it opens a portal into an empty extradimensional space 4 squares wide, 4 squares high, and 4 squares long.

While the door is open, anyone can enter, see into, or affect the extradimensional space. Only creatures inside the space can open or close the door (a minor action). Once closed, the door becomes invisible to anyone outside the extradimensional space. Creatures on the inside of the closed door can see out, but those outside can't see in. Creatures on one side of the closed door cannot affect creatures on the other side.

The extradimensional space lasts for 8 hours. Any creatures still in the space when the effect ends reappear in the closest unoccupied squares outside the door.

Move Action: Step through your portal into your private 4x4 torture chamber.  (Technically, you can even have all of your allies join you, and the last one in shut the door, but that’s hardly sporting.)

Turn 2

No Action: The Voidcrystal Weapon effect ends, and your target reappears “in an unoccupied space of your choice within 3 squares of you,” which happens to be the far corner of your extradimensional space.

Free Action: Turn to your prey and say something really sinister and tough-talky like “Don’t worry, this won’t take long.” or “I bet you can squeal like a pig. Weeeeeeee!”  Note: It’s absolutely vital to plan this ahead of time; leaving it to the spur of the moment is an invitation for disaster.

Minor Action: Close the door…

You're now alone(ish) with your target, completely cut off from the rest of the battlefield, Thunderdome-style. No help is coming for either of you. Get to it, because only one of you is coming out.

(Note: Your target can open the portal with a minor action like anybody else inside the space.  Preventing this is easier if you've got allies in there with you (boo!), but is usually achievable in any event.)

If you want to be thorough, spend your Standard Action in Round 2 to use a Nail of Sealing on the door.
Hmmm....

What if your removed yourself from play?

Void crystal + voidsoul.  Hit someone, disapear, make him appear, return to the world.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

That was my first thought when I first saw Voidcrystal Weapons...something like Feywild Sojourn.  The good part about the Knife is that it specifically creates squares with rules for entering and leaving, so it's less ambiguous.
That was my first thought when I first saw Voidcrystal Weapons...something like Feywild Sojourn.  The good part about the Knife is that it specifically creates squares with rules for entering and leaving, so it's less ambiguous.

Except the kidnapped can just leave...

Also, here was my earlier attempt.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I guess it depends on what sort of build you pull this off with. PCs that can Immobilize, or a fighter with Combat Superiority could keep the enemy from leaving. But then it's left up to you landing a hit every turn.

What about summoning something large enough to block the enemy from moving through the space? Are there summons that big with those Intrinsic or Instinctive actions? That way, you could command the summon to close the door after you leave, and let it do its thing.

It's got a similar feel: "It's a pity we couldn't see eye to eye on this," glances at summoned Balor, "Well, I'll leave you two at it then."
Really cool concept, nice work! Did you actually try it in game? For some reason, I envision a Voidsoul Genasi + Scion of Abscence (not sure of the base class or ED, but whatever worked I guess)
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
I think it would be a little trickier than the target being able to "just leave", since the door would presumably operate under the same hard-corner rules that normal doorways would.  So if you were standing in the square in front of the doorway, the target would have to forced-move you, or move through you, or teleport past you, in order to get through the doorway even if it were open.  Your allies could additionally make things difficult by having one of them stand in the square that the doorway opens out to, so the target would also have to forced-move the ally out of that square as well.

Targets with move-through powers or teleports would be more challenging of course.

Hmm.  Actually, any power that creates a square-occupying wall would be a good layer of defense, particularly against teleporters since it would obstruct their line of sight. If you wanted it to be item rather than class dependent, a Stonewall Shield would do the job.  Defense in depth would do something like using a Nail of Sealing on the door from inside, while an ally creates a wall in the square that the portal connects to on the outside. 
Wow,

Basically what we are trying to do is a two step process of

First: Banishing the target (it appears next to you on its (or yours?) next turn

Second: Leaving the monster stranded there?

Getting me thinking of finding other: Banish Enemy UsonT + Banish Self UeonT combos. 

Couldnt find some of the things mentioned on my iphone compendium app so ill look at it when i get home.                  
Could you put it in the box and then block the doorway from this side?  I'm thinking the Druid's Wall of Stone but there's probably something better...
I know the answer is probably obvious but why the suggestions for voidsoul genasi?
I know the answer is probably obvious but why the suggestions for voidsoul genasi?

Because this idea pretty much fits their niche; and their Racial PP also works in a similar way.
RIP George! 4-21-11 RIP Abie! 1-2-13
Funny Forum Quotes
[quote author=82733368 post=532127449]
58115148 wrote:
"You notice a large piece of mold clinging to your toothbrush. What do you do?" "I cast Fireball." "I run like hell!
63797881 wrote:
The standard d4 is somewhat (SOMEWHAT) rounded on the top, the older models are even flat. The Lego is shaped in such a way that in an emergency, you can use one as a makeshift surgical knife.
147742801 wrote:
57457938 wrote:
My wife asked me if her pants made her look fat. What do you think I said?
Wife: Do these pants make me look fat? RedSiegfried: I just killed a bunch of orc women and children.
63797881 wrote:
82733368 wrote:
28.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character (Monk or otherwise) does not require my character to be completely shitfaced, no matter what the name (and fun interpretation) implies.
29.) Making a "Drunken Master" style character does not require ME to be completely tanked, no matter how "in-character" I want to be..
Toss a Nail of Sealing on the door? Its a standard action though, so it would require an action point unless you have an ally do it on their turn:

Show

Nail of SealingLevel 4 Uncommon

This thick iron nail is adorned with warding symbols and can hold shut any portal or container.

Consumable: Consumable        40 gp

Power  Consumable (Standard Action)

When you push this nail into a door, chest, or other closeable object, it magically sinks into the material of that object and seals it shut. Treat this as if you had used an Arcane Lock ritual with an Arcana check result of 25.

The second turn has a Standard action free.
Toss a Nail of Sealing on the door? Its a standard action though, so it would require an action point unless you have an ally do it on their turn:

Show

Nail of SealingLevel 4 Uncommon

This thick iron nail is adorned with warding symbols and can hold shut any portal or container.

Consumable: Consumable        40 gp

Power  Consumable (Standard Action)

When you push this nail into a door, chest, or other closeable object, it magically sinks into the material of that object and seals it shut. Treat this as if you had used an Arcane Lock ritual with an Arcana check result of 25.

Just make sure your character is capable of hitting that Arcana check.
LOL. That'd be funny.
What?

there's no arcana check involved. Your character doesn't need arcana trained, and a +90 to Arcana wouldn't make the Nail of Sealing stronger.
Aha! I knew I had to be missing something, since he'd quoted the whole text right there
Nope, I was wrong and deleted too slow. It sets the thievery or strength check. No arcana needed.
Regardless, you would want to be able to pass the check. Otherwise you end up sitting there for 8hrs until the Exodus knife is done.
Regardless, you would want to be able to pass the check. Otherwise you end up sitting there for 8hrs until the Exodus knife is done.

Actually, you set the parameters of the Nail of Sealing when you use the standard action. You can allow all allies to pass unhindered without making a check or breaking the lock. As noted in its description, the Nail of Sealing uses the Arcane Lock ritual:

Show

Arcane Lock
You bind a door so that intruders can’t easily pass. The door is limned with amber light, which fades to a soft glow, marking it as impassible to anyone other than you and your allies.

Component Cost: 25 gp
Market Price: 150 gp
Key Skill: Arcana
Level: 4
Category: Warding
Time: 10 minutes
Duration: Permanent

You lock a door, a window, a gate, a portcullis, or some other means of ingress. You can open the door normally, but those who don’t have your permission to use it find it locked.
    Your Arcana check, with a +5 bonus, sets the DC for Thievery checks or Strength checks made to open the door. 
When you perform the ritual, you can allow for certain other creatures or types of creatures to pass through the door normally, ignoring the ward’s effect. You can choose any or all (or none) of the following options:
Password: You can set a verbal password. If uttered within 5 squares of the portal, the speaker can ignore the ward for the next minute.
Individuals: You can designate up to ten other specific individuals who can ignore the ward at all times.
Descriptions: You can describe one or more categories of creatures who can ignore the ward at all times, using specific, observable characteristics such as species, type, size, or equipment carried or worn.
The Arcane Lock remains until you dismiss it, the door is destroyed, or until the ward is defeated, such as by the Knock ritual or a successful Strength or Thievery check. Wherever you are, you instantly know if your Arcane Lock is defeated by one of these methods.

Published in Player's Handbook, page(s) 301.

I'm still more interested in putting him in there alone and just blocking the exit while you take care of his buddies. Any better hindering terrain than Wall of Stone out there?
Dwarves are pretty good hindering terrain.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
The invoker spell "wall of hestavar" creates an unbreakable solid barrier, but it is also a sustain minor. This could be used by an ally to keep you inside, or used by you once inside to block the door.

The wizard spell "wall of ice" would also be affective, because you could stack the blocks so that he has to break through 3 layers before reaching the door. Thats 150 damage he has to deal, and he takes 2d6 damage each time he hits a block, AND 2d6+int when starts his turn next to it. Depending on how much damage he does , thats at least 100 damage before he breaks out.

The wizard spell "wall of force" could also be used. It takes 200 damage before falling, and can be attacked through if you are ranged or have reach. Teleporters can get through it though.

By RAW if you teleport a huge or gargantuan creature into the space, they will not be able to exit the room, even if they are squeezing. This could prove a useful tactic against huge monsters if your party has alot of damageing zone. The melee character attacks from the doorway, and the monster is forced to stay inside X number of zones until it dies.

You could use one or more immovable shafts placed in the doorway to restrict his ability to escape even if the door is open. Assuming the monster automatically suceeds on the strength check, it is still a minor action to place a shaft, and a standard action to move it. You can place one on turn 2, if you have it ready in your hand. Turn 3 you can place another one, minor to retrive, minor to place. Continue adding one every turn if you want. If you have quickdraw, you can place 2 each turn. Obviously because of cost, this would only be possible at a higher level. If you can a ring of free time, and quickdraw you could place 3 shafts each turn, and still be able to standard attack. This is probably overkill, but any character could do it, and it would look hilarious.

A wonderous item "phantom soldier" could be used to block the inner or outer square. Although RAW does not say if it is solid or phasing. Just that it is an "illusion"

A ring of personal gravity could be activated so that you and him are stuck in melee inside the room. Unless he has teleport, or can somehow push/pull/slide himself.

For maximum retardation, use this against a foe who is unable to breath underwater.
Use a scroll of waterbreathing on yourself before the start of the encounter.
Be using 4 ring's of free time. 1 on each hand, one many fingered gloves, 1 mumified hand.
Multiclass druid to get wall of stone.
Be carrying 160(minimum 124) handy havarsacks, each fill with 1000lbs of water.
Have quickdraw.
Have a way to gain phasing.
Have a way to fly.
On turn 2, use a minor action to close the door, use whatever action to activate phasing, and a standard action to cast wall of stone, filling up most of the room, move up 3 squares to the corner above your enemy.
For the next 16-18 turns, spend all 7 minor acions opening haversacks, and emptying water into the room.
Laugh as your sworn enemy drowns to death.
Laugh harder 5 minutes later, at your teams confusion when a torrent of gravel and water pour out of the once empty room.
I think the REAL answer is the make a Leomund's Secret Chest the size of a large room, poke some holes in it and throw it into the ocean.  Summon it, pop inside, get the bad guy inside, teleport or have someone knight's move you out of there and unsummon it.  Now you have a BBEG at the bottom of the ocean.

That way you can toss him in with all his gear, and resummon the box in a day or three to collect the spare parts.

Bonus points if you fill the chest full of crab bait before you throw it into the ocean.  The crabs will eat your BBEG for you and you get a delicious dinner to go with your shiney new gear.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
I think the REAL answer is the make a Leomund's Secret Chest the size of a large room, poke some holes in it and throw it into the ocean.  Summon it, pop inside, get the bad guy inside, teleport or have someone knight's move you out of there and unsummon it.  Now you have a BBEG at the bottom of the ocean.

That way you can toss him in with all his gear, and resummon the box in a day or three to collect the spare parts.

Bonus points if you fill the chest full of crab bait before you throw it into the ocean.  The crabs will eat your BBEG for you and you get a delicious dinner to go with your shiney new gear.

Or it leads to the worst tpk ever when you realize your entire group is allergic to shellfish.

I like this idea, but it poses two issues. The first is, how do you ensure that you can get the "chest" and the BBEG next to eachother? Considering it takes 5 minutes to cast with a scroll, I doubt you could snag him in combat. Unless you knew what room he was in, and summoned it just outside his door, but that poses some range issues. Although if the whole team pitched in, moving him into it might be easier. You might also try setting up the chest on platform on the lip of a volcano. The platform would be counterbalanced, so that when the chest comes back with the extra weight, the platform tips.

The second issue, is how large can you make a chest before it is considered a room? or a house? It is after all, summoning a CHEST. If it could summon much larger containers, then it would be Leomunds secret house.
What about Tight Squeeze?  Could force the larger targets in, explicitly squeezing them!

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
Sign In to post comments