[Cool Set Acronym] - Rekindled Phoenix

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Haven't made a card in a while.  Clearly I need to develop a set so I can actually have a cool acronym.

Rekindled Phoenix  
Creature - Phoenix
Flying, haste
When ~ dies, put a 0/1 red Egg creature token onto the battlefield.  It has "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice this creature and return target card named Rekindled Phoenix from your graveyard to the battlefield."

With sunset come, its fire dies.  At break of dawn, again it flies.
3/3
Love it. I was thinking maybe it could have a line like "when ~ enters the battlefield, if it did so from the graveyard it does 1 damage to each other creature or player" but it's porbably more elegant this way.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
At first I thought this was inferior to Archwing Dragon, but then I realized you don't have to keep paying mana and it produces twice the ETB triggers. Maybe bump the cost by one and make it a 4/3?
That's pretty strong, but your mechanic that returns the creature sounds nice! Don't these birds rise from ashes instead of turning into eggs when they're dying? Your version definitely reminds me of the strange deaths in "Disney" movies..
If there isn't a card in your graveyard named "Rekindled Phoenix" by the time the Egg's triggered ability tries to resolve, the Egg will not be sacrificed since the ability will either not go onto the stack or it will be countered (if the Phoenix is removed from the graveyard in response) for having no target.

That seems odd.

How about, "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice this creature; if you do, you may return target [blah blah blah]"?

Personally, I like this quite a bit.  It seems a bit power creepy.  I'd suggest dropping the P/T to 3/3 and the cost to .  We need a good replacement for Chandra's Phoenix anyways, and that keeps this from swinging for 3 a turn forever (only 2 a turn instead).

Somnia, the Evanescent Plane -- A 3-set Block
Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD
Planeswalker's Guide to Somnia

Build Around This
A weekly MTG Cards and Combos forum game.
Build Around This #1 - Sage's Starfish Wish
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
That's pretty strong, but your mechanic that returns the creature sounds nice! Don't these birds rise from ashes instead of turning into eggs when they're dying?

Depends on the mythos.

"When ~ dies, put a red enchantment token named Ashes of A'lar Flame onto the battlefield.  It has [...]"

?

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
BAT #1 was built using the Legacy format with Spiny Starfish, Sage's Knowledge, and Make a Wish. Winner: Dilleux_Lepaire with Fishy Starfishies. Runner-Up: JBTM
Why not simply use the "transform" mechanic?
@FTK:  I agree that was probably the wording I should have used originally.  Although..

@c_a_m: I think the transform idea might be even more elegant and flavorful, since it's slightly odd that any egg can rebuy any phoenix, not just the one that created it. 

In regards to P/T, I don't really want to make it a 2/2 (which is what I assume you meant, FTK, since you were comparing this to Chandra's Phoenix).  I know I am probably inching close to the line between strong and overpowered as is, though.  What if the cost was a tad more restrictive, say ?
That's pretty strong, but your mechanic that returns the creature sounds nice! Don't these birds rise from ashes instead of turning into eggs when they're dying?

Depends on the mythos.

"When ~ dies, put a red enchantment token named Ashes of A'lar Flame onto the battlefield.  It has [...]"

?

Dude still won't give me his mount...
If there isn't a card in your graveyard named "Rekindled Phoenix" by the time the Egg's triggered ability tries to resolve, the Egg will not be sacrificed since the ability will either not go onto the stack or it will be countered (if the Phoenix is removed from the graveyard in response) for having no target.

That seems odd.

How about, "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice this creature; if you do, you may return target [blah blah blah]"?

Personally, I like this quite a bit.  It seems a bit power creepy.  I'd suggest dropping the P/T to 3/3 and the cost to .  We need a good replacement for Chandra's Phoenix anyways, and that keeps this from swinging for 3 a turn forever (only 2 a turn instead).

Why not just make it "At the beginning of your upkeep if there is a creature named Rekindled Phoenix in your graveyard, sacrifice this creature and return target card named Rekindled Phoenix from your graveyard to the battlefield."
or
"At the beginning of your upkeep sacrifice this creature, if you sacrifice ~ this way return target card named Rekindled Phoenix from your graveyard to the battlefield.".
That gets rid of the weird no sacrificing if the phoenix is exiled situation.
Also this is just the sort of thing red needs in edh. Why not submit it to the confederate endeavour. community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... needs your help. For reals I want your card in the set.
@FTK:  I agree that was probably the wording I should have used originally.  Although..

@c_a_m: I think the transform idea might be even more elegant and flavorful, since it's slightly odd that any egg can rebuy any phoenix, not just the one that created it.

Transform would function well, as cats suggested.  If this is being designed as part of a set, though, be careful.  Transform is an investment.  If it's just a one-off design, go for it.  Use Loyal Cathar's tech.

In regards to P/T, I don't really want to make it a 2/2 (which is what I assume you meant, FTK, since you were comparing this to Chandra's Phoenix).  I know I am probably inching close to the line between strong and overpowered as is, though.  What if the cost was a tad more restrictive, say ?

Yes, I did mean 2/2.  Yes, it would be better at 1CCC, as is.

Set 1 — Somnia
Set 2 — TBD
Set 3 — TBD

Build Around This
Phoenix aren't born from eggs. They are manifest from the ashes and ethereal energy.

Otherwise, the operation is well done.

IMAGE(http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/1c/Spr_4p_389.png)

That seems odd.

wouldn't that wording have the same problem? it'll still be countered on resolution or fail to trigger if there's no phoenix to target. this could be avoided by not using the word "target". "At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice this creature. If you do, you may return a creature card named ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield."

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

When you transform the creature, it should probably become an enchantment instead of a creature, and that enchantment could have another simple ability that's associated with flames..
don't use transform

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

don't use transform

this. DFCs should be brought in as part of the theme of a set, not as part of a one-off card.

This does seem pretty powerful, though. Repeatable 3/3 hasty flier that basically never stops coming back unless they have a pinger? Sign me up. 
By the way, I first didn't realize that it's very close to Sengir Nosferatu, and maybe you could use the same wording for this ability?
Sign In to post comments