Playtester Profile - Trevor Kidd

For this week's Playtester Profile, Quentin (aka Crazy Monkey) wanted to pull back the curtain ever so slightly and see what I had to say about D&D Next.

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

That does seem like a bit of work on monsters/NPCs.

To be fair, I've been converting 4E monsters to Next, instead. Takes longer, but I love 4E monsters (while next's make me sad).
Also keep in mind that what we're seeing in the forums and elsewhere is just a tiny drop compared to the amount of playtesters and feedback we're receiving over all. It's easy to look at the people around you and think that the vocal majority in our little groups represents the majority of feelings in all the feedback, but that's not always the case.

That makes me curious. What opinions are expressed in other feedback groups that are not expressed in the forums?

(The forumites need to find those majority opinions and stamp them out!)
Good to hear you talk on these Trevor !

I hope theres more G+ Hangout with you, Mike and Jeremy as well (and perhaps other member of the D&D Next R&D Team) as this was a great communication channel, even better than podcast!

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Hipster_Cat just check out any discussion on the paladin.

Just make sure you do it as a lurker.  The moment you start mentioning that you don't want to see alignment restrictions, people start telling you that you're having naughtybadfun.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

Fencing & Swashbuckling as Armor.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Mecha Pilot's Skill Challenge Emporium.

Save the breasts.

That makes me curious. What opinions are expressed in other feedback groups that are not expressed in the forums?

People like alignment restrictions and alignment tied mechanics?

I'm pretty sure I've seen that expressed on the forums.  Somewhere.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

Just make sure you do it as a lurker.  The moment you start mentioning that you don't want to see alignment restrictions, people start telling you that you're having naughtybadfun.

To be fair, the same is true if you express that you do want to see them.

It's just one of those arguments that neither side is ever going to convince the other, leave your feedback and move on.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.
Also keep in mind that what we're seeing in the forums and elsewhere is just a tiny drop compared to the amount of playtesters and feedback we're receiving over all. It's easy to look at the people around you and think that the vocal majority in our little groups represents the majority of feelings in all the feedback, but that's not always the case.

(The forumites need to find those majority opinions and stamp them out!)

It means that some views that the majority of the forums might agree with might not be the majority view shared by the whole. In the end the vocal folks on the forums are a vast minority of the pie that is the entire playtest. Sometimes most agree with the forums, sometimes they do not.

Also, nice interview! Did you...interview yourself? lol
My two copper.
And then people come by and say "hey, here's this idea of what they could write so you both could be happy."

And they still get yelled at.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
And then people come by and say "hey, here's this idea of what they could write so you both could be happy."

It's a beautiful example of cooperation.  Both sides join together to attack the guy who just wants everyone to be happy.
The difference between madness and genius is determined only by degrees of success.

To be fair, the same is true if you express that you do want to see them.

It's just one of those arguments that neither side is ever going to convince the other, leave your feedback and move on.

I have to admit that I haven't seen that.  I've seen people saying "don't force me to use alignment restrictions," meaning that they should be optional rules, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone saying that they shouldn't be an option for those who want them.

But, to bring this back to the subject (to avoid going too far off topic), I do like what was mentioned for the paladin in the article, although not the use of expertise dice.  The paladin is a more specific archetype, it probably deserves to use something other than expertise dice to use its smites and other holy/profane abilities.

There are a great many problems that can be circumvented by players and DMs having a mature discussion about what the game is going to be like before they ever sit down together to play.

The answer really does lie in more options, not in confining and segregating certain options.

You really shouldn't speak for others.  You can't hear what someone else is saying when you try to put your words in their mouth.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

It's a beautiful example of cooperation.  Both sides join together to attack the guy who just wants everyone to be happy.

I've been "that guy" before.  It's not fun getting jumped on for proposing a compromise position that doesn't hurt either side.

D20 Modern Toon PC Race.

Save the breasts.

I've been "that guy" before.  It's not fun getting jumped on for proposing a compromise position that doesn't hurt either side.

Ditto. It happens on more topics than just alignment, too. There are definitely posters who only want their way, even when it is possible to support multiple styles.
Kill the compromiser!

Anyway, the idea of a paladin as a martial character who uses ED by default is an interesting idea. I don't like it at all but it is interesting.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Kill the compromiser! Anyway, the idea of a paladin as a martial character who uses ED by default is an interesting idea. I don't like it at all but it is interesting.

I find it an interesting idea, as it will probably be our first glimpse into how a character can have both ED and spells.
My two copper.

No, the interviewer was yours truly.  ;)  Quite a privilege.  :D

All around helpful simian

Kill the compromiser!

How about just a maiming?

...  Oh crap 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

No, the interviewer was yours truly.  ;)  Quite a privilege.  :D

I thought it sounded like a monkey...  Wink
My two copper.
"Also keep in mind that what we're seeing in the forums and elsewhere is just a tiny drop compared to the amount of playtesters and feedback we're receiving over all. It's easy to look at the people around you and think that the vocal majority in our little groups represents the majority of feelings in all the feedback, but that's not always the case."

Most quotable part of this (or really any other, including my own) interview.
@Hocus_Smokus

Agreed!

I'm glad that they are doing these interviews and that they are interviewing people who have "official" positions on the forums. It's cool to see where other people are coming from.
As far as monster creation, one thing I have noticed is that Next monsters are very comparable to 1st edtion monsters. I am running L1 The Secret of Bone Hill, with next rules, I was going to go through and convert the monsters in the module to the ones in the bestiary (low and behold 99% of the monsters in Bone Hill are in the bestiary Laughing) That made me very happy. So as far as the critters go no need to convert and if you do need to convert there is very little math to do to begin with. Also made me happy. (Now if we could only get THAC0 back into play Cool)

So if you guys are going for the streamlined effect just stick with the 1st edition Monster Manual. Dont over complicate things. 
"Also keep in mind that what we're seeing in the forums and elsewhere is just a tiny drop compared to the amount of playtesters and feedback we're receiving over all. It's easy to look at the people around you and think that the vocal majority in our little groups represents the majority of feelings in all the feedback, but that's not always the case."

Oh, good.  I expect we will see an increase in people from both sides of any given argument using this quote to baselessly assert that the masses agree with them.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.