EDH Commander Q

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey!

Not sure if this is the place for an EDH question, but I'll ask it here.

So I'm trying to find a commander for a new deck, and have been looking at [C]Akki Lavarunner[/C].

My main question is, can I use him? When he's flipped, he's legendary, but not when originally cast. So can I use him as my commander?

I've looked through EDH rules, but can't find anything specifically regarding this.

Thanks for any help!
No.  The only time he is Legendary is on the battlefield flipped.  Anywhere else, the flip side does not exist.
DCI Level 1 Judge Please autocard: [c]Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon[/c] = Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon [c=Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon]Skittles[/c] = Skittles Cards do what they say they do. No more. No less.
Alright!

Guess I gotta find a new commander than!

Or, since I just play casually, I could bring the point up to my group.

Thats the nice thing about casual play  

Thanks for the reply! 
He's good though.  I've got one in my Krenko goblin deck, and when large numbers of tokens are doing an extra damamge, it's nice.  Doesn't help much with big creatures and spells though.
I've looked through EDH rules, but can't find anything specifically regarding this.

903.3. Each deck has a legendary creature card designated as its commander. This designation is not a characteristic of the object represented by the card; rather, it is an attribute of the card itself. The card retains this designation even when it changes zones.

709.2. In every zone other than the battlefield, and also on the battlefield before the permanent flips, a flip card has only the normal characteristics of the card. Once a permanent is flipped, its normal name, text box, type line, power, and toughness don’t apply and the alternative versions of those characteristics apply instead.

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out