12/3/2012 Feature: "Price of Progress: Paying the Price"

93 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of the feature article "Price of Progress: Paying the Price", which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Pool was pretty terrible. I decided to go black/red because those colors seemed to have the closest thing to a curve, plus there was plenty of removal. This is basically black/red control with Zanikev Locusts as win conditions. Pretty awkward. At least it has Codex Shredder to mill myself with to get some sweet scavenges! Splashed for Cyclonic Rift because it's broken and there was an Izzet Keyrune.

This Deck was built in 0:07:35

Total Deck Size: 40
17 Lands
---------------
1 Island
8 Mountain
7 Swamp
1 Rakdos Guildgate

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Batterhorn
1 Bloodfray Giant
1 Catacomb Slug
1 Dark Revenant
1 Drainpipe Vermin
1 Grim Roustabout
1 Perilous Shadow
1 Rakdos Cackler
1 Tenement Crasher
2 Viashino Racketeer
2 Zanikev Locust

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Codex Shredder
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Electrickery
1 Explosive Impact
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Launch Party
1 Street Spasm
1 Ultimate Price

Yeah pretty awful pool. There is almost a Selesnya deck in there, and collective blessing is a beating, but there just aren't enough token makers.

Black/Red offers the most removal, and with 2 nivix guildmages and cyclonic rift the blue splash pulls its weight. There's a lot of looting in the deck and you should be able to get going pretty fast with the racketeers and the guildmages. Deck basically tries to use creatures coupled with removal to bring the opponent to a life low enough for Explosive Impact to win the game.

This Deck was built in 0:05:16

18 Lands
---------------
4 Island
10 Mountain
3 Swamp
1 Rakdos Guildgate

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Bloodfray Giant
1 Grim Roustabout
2 Nivix Guildmage
1 Nivmagus Elemental
1 Rakdos Cackler
1 Tenement Crasher
1 Tower Drake
2 Viashino Racketeer

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Dynacharge
1 Explosive Impact
1 Inaction Injunction
1 Inspiration
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Launch Party
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Street Spasm
1 Ultimate Price

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
This Deck was built in 0:04:57

17 Lands
---------------
6 Forest
4 Island
7 Plains

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Centaur Healer
1 Concordia Pegasus
2 Doorkeeper
1 Tower Drake
3 Towering Indrik
2 Vassal Soul

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Collective Blessing
1 Common Bond
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Dispel
1 Dramatic Rescue
1 Ethereal Armor
1 Giant Growth
1 Martial Law
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
2 Soul Tithe
1 Trostani's Judgment

This Deck was built in 0:03:57

17 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
9 Plains

12 Creatures
---------------
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Centaur Healer
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Keening Apparition
1 Korozda Monitor
1 Rubbleback Rhino
2 Towering Indrik
2 Trained Caracal
2 Vassal Soul

11 Other Spells
---------------
1 Chorus of Might
1 Collective Blessing
1 Common Bond
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Ethereal Armor
2 Giant Growth
1 Martial Law
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
1 Trostani's Judgment

I just went GW aggressive. It's not a great deck, but all the tricks do make it tough for them to block. If it a bit more of the less insane high end (the 2/4s and 3/4s) were better early drops I'd actually fancy the chances of this deck, but the early creatures are just unexciting enough to be problematic.

The black/red build is tempting, but I find it's creatures even more underwhelming. And I don't think collective rift is quite as insane an over the top card as blessing is, though it's obviously very good.  

This Deck was built in 0:05:17

Total Deck Size: 41
20 Lands
---------------
5 Island
9 Mountain
5 Swamp
1 Rakdos Guildgate

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Bloodfray Giant
1 Dark Revenant
1 Drainpipe Vermin
1 Grim Roustabout
2 Nivix Guildmage
1 Perilous Shadow
1 Rakdos Cackler
1 Tenement Crasher
1 Viashino Racketeer

11 Other Spells
---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Cancel
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Dispel
1 Electrickery
1 Inspiration
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Street Spasm
1 Ultimate Price

Geez, I feel like I don't know what I'm doing. 

IDK my deck is kinda weird, but here was my idea, a Bant Control deck.  Basically try to make it into the late game by using stall cards then stabilize with an overloaded cyclonic rift, a huge slime that can get populated soon after, a death's presence to buff up one or two dudes, or an ethereal armor enhanced creature.  I'm not an amazing control deck-builder, so I decided to try it out despite a lot of flaws in the card pool and deck.

18 Lands
---------------
5 Forest
5 Island
8 Plains

6 Creatures
---------------
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Centaur Healer
1 tower drake
2 Vassal Soul 
1 Korozda Monitor 

17 Other Spells
---------------
1 druid's deliverance
1 Common Bond
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Death's Presence
1 Dramatic Rescue
1 Ethereal Armor
1 Inaction Injunction
1 Inspiration
1 Martial Law
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
2 Soul Tithe
1 Trostani's Judgment
1 cancel 

"You only have a one-in-sixty-four chance of drawing both the Forest [assuming 5 Forests] and the Gatecreeper Vine by turn two."

You missed a decimal point here, though the point about splashing mana-fixing is still valid.

Your chance of drawing your singleton Gatecreeper Vine in a 40-card deck by turn 2, assuming you're on the play and didn't mulligan, is 1/5.   Conditional on having the Vine in your first 8 cards, your chance of having at least one Forest in the other seven is 1 - (32/39) * (31/38) * ... * (26/33) = 1 - 0.21883... = ~78.117%.  So the probability of both happening simultaneously is ~15.623%, which is almost exactly one-in-6.4, rather than one-in-64.

"After all, assuming I add three mana sources for the Mortars, I'm only about 2% likely to draw both a mana source and the Mortars in a forty-card deck."

If we're talking about turn two again for the earliest possible Flame Slash functionality, (1/5) * (1 - (36/39) * (35/38) * ... * (30/33)) = (1/5) * (1 - ~0.54273) = ~9.145%, not "2% likely".  Incidentally, the way I prefer to think about this situation is, when I draw the Mortars, it's about 40% likely to be effectively blank; do I gain enough from having a good removal spell the other ~60% of the time to justify it?

Best,

Math Police
This Deck was built in 0:03:33

17 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
4 Island
6 Plains

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Axebane Stag
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Centaur Healer
1 Keening Apparition
1 Korozda Monitor
1 Rubbleback Rhino
1 Tower Drake
1 Towering Indrik
2 Vassal Soul

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Collective Blessing
1 Common Bond
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Ethereal Armor
2 Giant Growth
1 Inaction Injunction
1 Inspiration
1 Martial Law
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
1 Soul Tithe

Managed to make an aggressive Bant deck with some control capabilities.

This Deck was built in 0:06:18

17 Lands
---------------
3 Island
7 Mountain
7 Plains

15 Creatures
---------------
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Batterhorn
1 Bellows Lizard
1 Blistercoil Weird
1 Bloodfray Giant
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Keening Apparition
1 Nivmagus Elemental
1 Rakdos Cackler
2 Trained Caracal
2 Vassal Soul
2 Viashino Racketeer

8 Other Spells
---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Dynacharge
1 Electrickery
1 Explosive Impact
1 Martial Law
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Street Spasm

I looked at B/R which has the better removal and obviously there is the bomb collective blessing in green but I like this aggressive W/R deck. Splashing blue for cyclonic rift and pursuit of flight. Alternatively I was thinking about going with soul tithe's and ethereal armor but I liked this version more. I'd probably sideboard into one of the slower more controlling builds against opponents who could match up well against this aggro deck.

I suppose I should probably cut the cyclonic rift and go with 9 plains, 8 mountain or a better split since it's more aggressive so hopefully won't see 7 mana all that often.

Don't be too smart to have fun

This Deck was built in 0:20:33

18 Lands --------------- 
 6 Forest
3 Island 
 9 Mountain

12 Creatures ---------------
1 Axebane Stag
1 Batterhorn
1 Blistercoil Weird
1 Bloodfray Giant
1 Nivmagus Elemental
1 Rakdos Cackler
1 Rubbleback Rhino
3 Towering Indrik
2 Viashino Racketeer

10 Other Spells ---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Chorus of Might
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Death's Presence
1 Explosive Impact
2 Giant Growth
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Slime Molding

So, first, I prioritized, how many mountains I would need to support my three awesome one drops, because It's absolutely imperative I drop one of these turn one, to survive the mid-game. one out of 7, or 1 out of 8, brings me to only needing about 5 mountains to pull this off. Check.  
Next turn, I really want to play the pursuit of flight, or a giant growth. The pursuit of flight's cast is already taken care of, but if we want the Growths, again, for a giant growth by turn 2/3, we need 1/8th of the deck to be Forests, so 5 is needed as a minimum.  (love the synergy with Blistercoil Weird and Giant Growth, btw. <3)
On turn 3, I simply need to ensure I have a mountain, which is already covered (only 4 mountains needed in the deck by this turn)
On turn 4, this is where it gets dicey. I reallly need to either ensure I have that second mountain or green, or the game is just over, especially since I need to play a huge response to my opponent's three mana creature. but if I understand correctly, by turn 4 I should have seen ten cards of my deck, and I only need 1 forest. So 4 are needed in the deck still. I really only bumped forests up to five because my islands are for pursuit of flight, and my finisher. Mountain requirements are high this turn, requiring two red on turn four is a commitment. [I'm starting to realize, Ash Zealot, really isn't as great as I first imagined in Limited, requiring ten sources of red mana to successfully get by turn 2, unless you are dedicated red, already] two reds, makes for one fifth of the deck, so I commited 8 mountain minimum. I bumped forests up to 6, because it's the meat of my late game, and Izzet charm helps me if I miss a mountain draw, which I bumped up 1 as well, because of the early game necessity. I used three islands, since it is the minimum I need for a turn 7 Overloaded cyclonic rift,

How did I do? Does Gruul have purchase? 

This Deck was built in 0:08:29

18 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
10 Plains

9 Creatures
---------------
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Centaur Healer
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Keening Apparition
1 Korozda Monitor
1 Rubbleback Rhino
2 Towering Indrik
1 Trained Caracal

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Chorus of Might
1 Collective Blessing
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Druid's Deliverance
1 Ethereal Armor
1 Giant Growth
1 Martial Law
1 Rootborn Defenses
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
2 Soul Tithe
1 Trostani's Judgment

This pool was... weird. Blue only had one viable card in Cyclonic Rift and not much else. Black/Red had some powerfull cards and a better curve then my build, but i found it sill a bit wanting in ''good'' cards. The deck I build also is awkward, missing one or two token producers but the lack thereof is compensated with two good rares in Martial Law and Collective Blessing. I pondered on the inclusion of The Rift, but i opted against it because of the lack of fixing, one Azorius Guildgate or Azorius Keyrune would have swayed me ,probably. So here it is, a reasonable build(I hope) in W/G.

17 Lands
---------------
9 Forest
8 Plains

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Centaur Healer
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Keening Apparition
1 Korozda Monitor
1 Rubbleback Rhino
3 Towering Indrik
2 Trained Caracal
2 Vassal Soul

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Chorus of Might
1 Collective Blessing
1 Common Bond
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Giant Growth
1 Martial Law
1 Rootborn Defenses
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
1 Trostani's Judgment

This was a real challenge.  I didn't think there was anything other than the Cyclonic Rift worth splashing in blue.  I was really torn as to whether it was better to splash black (for the Launch Party and Ultimate Price), red (for Explosive Impact), or nothing.  I didn't think the red or black was strong enough to maindeck, and I didn't like the idea of splashing double-red or black-red.

This Deck was built in 0:12:00

16 Lands
---------------
4 Forest
1 Island
6 Mountain
3 Swamp
1 Golgari Guildgate
1 Rakdos Guildgate

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Bloodfray Giant
1 Grim Roustabout
1 Rakdos Cackler
2 Tenement Crasher
3 Towering Indrik
2 Zanikev Locust

14 Other Spells
---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Druid's Deliverance
1 Dynacharge
1 Explosive Impact
2 Giant Growth
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Launch Party
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Slime Molding
1 Street Spasm
1 Ultimate Price

mostly just a play a dude clear the blockers deck.  i felt splashing blue for the possibility of pursuit of flight, cyclonic rift, or even getting both sources and have a 2/1 swinger was worth it.  once hitting 6 mana, the deck plays the big boys and starts being able to get in for massive damage. combat tricks like giant growth, launch party, dynacharge  can lead to blowout games or at least give the upper hand for the rest of the match

This Deck was built in 0:13:38

18 Lands
---------------
9 Forest
1 Island
8 Plains

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Centaur Healer
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Keening Apparition
1 Korozda Monitor
1 Rubbleback Rhino
3 Towering Indrik
2 Vassal Soul

11 Other Spells
---------------
1 Collective Blessing
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Death's Presence
1 Giant Growth
1 Martial Law
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
2 Soul Tithe
1 Trostani's Judgment

Non-Populate Selesnya, splashing blue for the Cyclonic Rift. This deck has a pretty high curve, and takes a while for a play. However, there are some upsides. The Islands I'm using aren't completely useless without Rift, since they can help me cast a turn three Vassal Soul if I can only find one Plains. The two Detain spells (Justicar and Martial Law) both do a good job of helping to slow down a faster opponent, to help me reach the late game. The Soul Tithes' drawback of giving the opponent the choice is lessened given that all I care about is slowing him down with them, which is achieved either way he chooses. I didn't run both Giant Growths, because I was low on creatures, and couldn't cut the six-drop-cluttering Accord for the same reason. The three Towering Indriks are a godsend for this deck, slowing down an aggressive opponent and living to give a benefit to any of the bombs as well. The Keening Apparition is mostly a chump blocker. I don't expect to be proliferating with the Judgment, but the fact that I could helped save it from being cut to bring the curve down. I also chose not to include the other combat tricks because of the low creature count (especially early, where the tricks would help the most) and the focus of the deck on getting more permant boosts from Collective Blessing and Death's Presence.

One thing I might've done differently would be to switch a Forest for another Island to splash the Drake, allowing me to lower the curve and remove the Judgment and giving me a nice blocker, but I didn't want to cut so low on Forests. The land suggestion feature gave me 9 Forests, but since Giant Growth isn't really a one-drop and Slime Molding is better to wait a bit for, I wasn't in a huge hurry to get a Forest down. If I really need to bring down the curve, I would add the Trained Caracals to chump-block with a little value on my way up to my bombs (and they certainly wouldn't mind a boost if they come down later!)
This Deck was built in 0:09:19

16 Lands
---------------
8 Island
6 Mountain
1 Swamp
1 Rakdos Guildgate

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Bellows Lizard
1 Blistercoil Weird
1 Bloodfray Giant
2 Nivix Guildmage
1 Nivmagus Elemental
1 Rakdos Cackler
1 Tenement Crasher
1 Tower Drake
2 Vassal Soul

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Cancel
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Dispel
1 Dynacharge
1 Electrickery
1 Explosive Impact
1 Inaction Injunction
1 Inspiration
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Pursuit of Flight

1 Street Spasm

So I went with the all-in Nivmagus strategy. Put small threats on the board early on, sit on them with removal in your hand, clear the path and win with a big punch in the face. In a format full of tricks Dispel can come in handy more often than not. 

This is as close as a decent mana curve I could get out of this awful pool, when you hide everything but the creatures you realize you're quite in trouble :D

This Deck was built in 0:09:57

17 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
9 Plains

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Centaur Healer
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Keening Apparition
1 Korozda Monitor
1 Rubbleback Rhino
2 Towering Indrik
2 Trained Caracal
1 Vassal Soul

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Collective Blessing
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Death's Presence
1 Ethereal Armor
2 Giant Growth
1 Martial Law
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
2 Soul Tithe
1 Trostani's Judgment

taking into consideration about what you said about colour lands and curve, I went for GW with no splash. It has a distinct lack of 3 drops, but has alot of buffs with good targets for them (trained caracel, rubbleback rhino, concordia pegasus).  There is also an ok amoutn of removal (trostanis judgment and 2 soul tithe). This deck can buy the time it needs to get out Death's Presence and Collective Blessing (f they are both out its just awful). I do feel its a 'tiny' bit light on creatures, but there isnt many options without droping my much beloved etheral armor and giants growth.

There was a moderate red/black  or golgari deck there, that would probably curve out better then this, but given that sealed is a slower format i feel this deck would do better. (In hindsight i would probably take out a giants growth for a towering indrik, just for that 1 more creature)

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!

This Deck was built in 1:25:59

17 Lands
---------------
6 Forest
8 Mountain
3 Plains

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Bloodfray Giant
1 Korozda Monitor
1 Nivmagus Elemental
1 Rakdos Cackler
1 Tenement Crasher
3 Towering Indrik
2 Viashino Racketeer

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Chorus of Might
1 Collective Blessing
1 Dynacharge
1 Electrickery
1 Explosive Impact
2 Giant Growth
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
1 Street Spasm

1 Trostani's Judgment

These are just the best cards from the pool. Its basically Gruul with splash for blessing and charm and judgement. Its not extra strong, bad curve, but has a few nice tricks like growth or spasm. I think its playable.

Wow, what a mediocre pool.  I'm curious to see what theme you're going for in this one.

I'm sick of building Selesnya decks in this format, so I started with a really weird Naya build with a small blue splash for izzet keyrune.  I based it around combat tricks; I really don't like the pool but I think this deck can be effective enough. 

This Deck was built in 0:12:23

Total Deck Size: 41
18 Lands
---------------
6 Forest
1 Island
7 Mountain
4 Plains

8 Creatures
---------------
1 Bellows Lizard
1 Blistercoil Weird
1 Bloodfray Giant
1 Centaur Healer
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Rakdos Cackler
1 Rubbleback Rhino
1 Trained Caracal

15 Other Spells
---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Chorus of Might
1 Codex Shredder
1 Collective Blessing
1 Common Bond
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Dynacharge
1 Electrickery
1 Explosive Impact
2 Giant Growth
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Street Spasm

The deck is very combat-trick heavy, but I think I can get away with it in a limited environment that lacks a lot of removal.  The Bloodfray Giant may seem like a strange inclusion, but I already needed access to that second red (for Annihilating Fire) and I felt it needed as much evasion as I could muster.

The second (and safer) deck is a straight Selesnya build - basically just take all the good passable green and white cards and cram them in there.  It should be good enough to where landing a Collective Blessing can win you the game, but there's not a hefty amount of control in it and, again, it's just a straight boring Selesnya build.  These feel like they're getting repetitive.

This Deck was built in 0:02:19

17 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
10 Plains

12 Creatures
---------------
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Centaur Healer
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Keening Apparition
1 Rubbleback Rhino
3 Towering Indrik
2 Trained Caracal
2 Vassal Soul

11 Other Spells
---------------
1 Chorus of Might
1 Collective Blessing
1 Common Bond
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Martial Law
1 Rootborn Defenses
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
2 Soul Tithe
1 Trostani's Judgment

This Deck was built in 0:16:41

18 Lands
---------------
10 Forest
8 Plains

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Axebane Stag
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Centaur Healer
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Keening Apparition
1 Rubbleback Rhino
3 Towering Indrik
2 Trained Caracal

11 Other Spells
---------------
1 Chorus of Might
1 Collective Blessing
1 Common Bond
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Death's Presence
1 Druid's Deliverance
1 Ethereal Armor
2 Giant Growth
1 Martial Law
1 Selesnya Charm

As many said above, tough, weird pool. I was not about to go three color. I still think it's sort of silly to throw in a single island or swamp to try and splash a color. The article's right, you're not going to get it. Going with two colors allows you a chance of getting in the cards with WW or GG in their casting cost.

Anyway, I'm not happy with the mana curve on this one, but it probably has enough 1 and 2 drops to hold me till I get the mana out for the 4 drops. The three towering indrik will put a stop to most flyers, and if not, help from Giant Growth might. The bombs are the Collective Blessing, Rubbleback Rhino (hopefully boosted with +1/+1 counters or combat tricks) and the Axebane Stag (also boosted, if possible.) The stag may be mana-heavy, but I've seen games go on long enough to get him on the battlefield (especially if everyone else has a poor pool to work with as well.)

Rakdos is certainly another option in this pool. I may try again with Black/Red and see how that deck looks as well.

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
R/B/u.  Splashing for the obvious game ender in cyclonic rift.  The goal of the deck is to hit hard and fast early on and then just kill anything they drop as I poke them to death until I eventually land the rift or the explosive impact for the last few points of damage.

If by some good fortune it's relevant, I do have 7 instants I can feed to the nivmagus elemental. XD

This Deck was built in 0:25:30

17 Lands
---------------
2 Island
8 Mountain
6 Swamp
1 Rakdos Guildgate

14 Creatures
---------------
1 Batterhorn
1 Bellows Lizard
1 Blistercoil Weird
1 Bloodfray Giant
1 Dark Revenant
1 Drainpipe Vermin
1 Grim Roustabout
1 Nivmagus Elemental
1 Perilous Shadow
1 Rakdos Cackler
2 Viashino Racketeer
2 Zanikev Locust

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Explosive Impact
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Launch Party
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Street Spasm
1 Ultimate Price

Collective Blessing is reaaaaaally tempting....I dunno.  Let's see what the Selesnya deck looks like:

Wow that's strong.

This Deck was built in 0:13:39

17 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
9 Plains

13 Creatures
---------------
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Centaur Healer
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Keening Apparition
1 Korozda Monitor
1 Rubbleback Rhino
3 Towering Indrik
2 Trained Caracal
2 Vassal Soul

10 Other Spells
---------------
1 Aerial Predation
1 Chorus of Might
1 Collective Blessing
1 Common Bond
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Giant Growth
1 Martial Law
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
1 Trostani's Judgment

Okay, I like the G/W deck better.  Unfortunately, due to the very heavy color weight requirements of the deck and the lack of fixing for the proper colors we cannot afford to splash for the cyclonic rift.  None-the-less I think this deck is stronger than the R/B/u deck.  Incidentally, neither of the decks share cards so you can swap decks completely between games without any hassle. XDDDD

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Cyclonic rift is too good not to splash, too bomb enchantments. Green White splashing blue it is

This Deck was built in 0:13:12

17 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
2 Island
8 Plains

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Centaur Healer
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Keening Apparition
1 Korozda Monitor
3 Towering Indrik
2 Vassal Soul

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Collective Blessing
1 Common Bond
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Death's Presence
1 Ethereal Armor
1 Inspiration
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Martial Law
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
1 Soul Tithe
1 Trostani's Judgment

Not sure if the black splash was overdoing it =/ 

This Deck was built in 0:13:42

17 Lands
---------------
4 Forest
5 Island
6 Mountain
1 Golgari Guildgate
1 Rakdos Guildgate

10 Creatures
---------------
1 Blistercoil Weird
1 Bloodfray Giant
1 Korozda Monitor
2 Nivix Guildmage
1 Rakdos Cackler
1 Tower Drake
3 Towering Indrik

13 Other Spells
---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Explosive Impact
2 Giant Growth
1 Inaction Injunction
1 Inspiration
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Slime Molding
1 Street Spasm
1 Ultimate Price

This Deck was built in 0:17:06

17 Lands ---------------
6 Island
8 Mountain
2 Swamp
1 Rakdos Guildgate

11 Creatures ---------------
1 Aquus Steed
1 Blistercoil Weird
1 Bloodfray Giant
1 Dark Revenant
2 Nivix Guildmage
1 Nivmagus Elemental
1 Rakdos Cackler
1 Viashino Racketeer
1 Zanikev Locust
1 Tenement Crasher

12 Other Spells ---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Auger Spree
1 Cancel
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Dynacharge
1 Explosive Impact
1 Inaction Injunction
1 Inspiration
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Pursuit of Flight  
1 Street Spasm
1 Ultimate Price

Wow, the first thing I want to say is that (besides the fact that the pool lacks bombs) this pool is amazing! All 5 colors are strong. You really can't go wrong with any way you choose. I first looked at the good stuff green had, but then my eyes looked toward the red and black and saw all of the sweet amounts of removal. I ended up going with a red/blue deck with a splash of black. Red/Blue were my main two colors primarily for the Guildmages and relatively large amount of red solid red cards. The only thing I might change is make the deck more black and have blue be the splash, but blue had nice cyclonic rift and countermagic (I would have Dispel under sideboard) with some of it's cards. So, blue ended up being my second main color. The amount of removal and control this color combination has is insane. I think it is probably the best combination, but like I said before: every color in this pool is strong. Green has Death's Presence (which btw combos well with Dark Revenant), Giant Growth, Centaur Healer, Grisly Savage, Collective Blessing, and Selesnya Charm. White has some of stuff I mentioned earlier under green plus Soul Tithe, Azorius Justicar, and Martial Law. You really can't go wrong with this pool.

Plenty of quality cards in the sideboard: Dispel, Launch Party, Electrickery, another Viashino Racketeer, another Tenement Crasher, Perilous Shadow, Cremate, Grim Roustabout, and Drainpipe Vermin as honorable mentions.

Edit: I am very surprised that people think this pool sucks. I looked at alot of decks, and I don't think people realize how crazy good the removal and control red/blue/black has.  

Edit: Edit: Yay! After I mentioned red/blue/black being viable, people started building it. Hm...I also noticed nobody running Slaughter Games, maybe I overrated the card. I probably would consider replacing it out with something like a Tenement Crasher. 

I've drafted very aggressive U/R decks recently to some success. This pool doesn't have quite the same aggression, as the curve is a little high, but it has the pieces there to make for a decent try. Put the pressure on early with cheap beats and if you can't close it out early with dynacharge or pursuit of flight, you still have decent reach with the pair of guildmages, explosive impact, or your 5/6 drops. A neat trick with Nivmagus Elemental is to copy a spell with a guildmage then you can eat the copy and not miss out on the spell's effect

17 Lands
---------------
5 Island
12 Mountain

14 Creatures
---------------
2 Batterhorn
1 Bellows Lizard
1 Blistercoil Weird
1 Bloodfray Giant
2 Nivix Guildmage
1 Nivmagus Elemental
1 Rakdos Cackler
2 Tenement Crasher
1 Tower Drake
2 Viashino Racketeer

9 Other Spells
---------------
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Dynacharge
1 Electrickery
1 Explosive Impact
1 Inaction Injunction
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Street Spasm

You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
So after reading the article today I did some analyzing of my own. I have a bit of removal. The goal of this deck is do last until 1 my creatures are bigger than yours or finally be able to populate my 1 slime molding that can easily be removed. All in all though it was a fun pool of cards to work with I suppose.

8 Forest
10 Plains
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Centaur Healer
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Keening Apparition
1 Korozda Monitor
1 Rubbleback Rhino
3 Towering Indrik
2 Vassal Soul
2 Aerial Predation
1 Collective Blessing
1 Common Bond
1 Druid's Deliverance
1 Rootborn Defenses
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
2 Soul Tithe
1 Trostani's Judgment
I thought it was a pretty wierd card pool as well, so I thought it deserved a wierd build. Red Green with splashes of Blue and Black...

This Deck was built in 0:08:25

17 Lands
---------------
7 Forest
1 Island
7 Mountain
1 Golgari Guildgate
1 Rakdos Guildgate

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Axebane Stag
1 Batterhorn
1 Bellows Lizard
1 Blistercoil Weird
1 Bloodfray Giant
1 Korozda Monitor
1 Nivmagus Elemental
1 Rakdos Cackler
1 Rubbleback Rhino
2 Towering Indrik

12 Other Spells
---------------
2 Aerial Predation
1 Annihilating Fire
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Death's Presence
1 Dynacharge
1 Electrickery
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Slime Molding
1 Street Spasm
1 Ultimate Price

17 Lands
---------------
8 Forest
9 Plains

11 Creatures
---------------
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Centaur Healer
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Keening Apparition
1 Korozda Monitor
1 Rubbleback Rhino
1 Towering Indrik
2 Trained Caracal
2 Vassal Soul

12 Other Spells
---------------
1 Collective Blessing
1 Common Bond
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Death's Presence
1 Ethereal Armor
2 Giant Growth
1 Martial Law
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
2 Soul Tithe

The curve says I want Trained Caracal over Trostani's Judgment.
BTW, the lifelinker should be quite good with all the pump in the deck. But I'm not courageous enough to add the second...

EDIT: -1 Rootborn Defenses --> +1 Trained Caracal

This Deck was built in 0:03:05

17 Lands
---------------
3 Forest
5 Mountain
7 Swamp
1 Golgari Guildgate
1 Rakdos Guildgate

12 Creatures
---------------
1 Bellows Lizard
1 Bloodfray Giant
1 Dark Revenant
1 Drainpipe Vermin
1 Grim Roustabout
1 Perilous Shadow
1 Rakdos Cackler
1 Rubbleback Rhino
2 Tenement Crasher
1 Viashino Racketeer
1 Zanikev Locust

11 Other Spells
---------------
2 Aerial Predation
1 Auger Spree
1 Chorus of Might
1 Dynacharge
1 Explosive Impact
1 Launch Party
1 Pursuit of Flight
1 Skull Rend
1 Street Spasm
1 Ultimate Price

Lots and lots of removal, and big creatures. Hello Jund 

Wouldn't really be too sad about this pool. Collective blessing really wins the game and have enough control creatures and spells to get to it.

Lands (17):

6 Forest
3 Mountain
8 Plains

Creatures (8)
1 Azorius Justiciar
1 Centaur Healer
1 Keening Apparition
1 Rubbleback Rhino
2 Towering Indrik
2 Vassal Soul

Other (15)
1 Chorus of Might
1 Collective Blessing
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Druid's Deliverance
1 Dynacharge
1 Explosive Impact
2 Giant Growth
1 Martial Law
1 Rootborn Defenses
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Slime Molding
1 Soul Tithe
1 Street Spasm
1 Trostani's Judgment

18 Lands
---------------
1 Rakdos Guildgate
7 Plains
5 Swamp
5 Island

8 Creatures
---------------
1 Concordia Pegasus
1 Dark Revenant
2 Doorkeeper
1 Grim Roustabout
1 Tower Drake
1 Vassal Soul
1 Zanikev Locust

14 Other Spells
---------------
1 Chronic Flooding
1 Codex Shredder
1 Cyclonic Rift
2 Destroy the Evidence
1 Explosive Impact
1 Izzet Keyrune
1 Launch Party
1 Martial Law
2 Soul Tithe
1 Street Spasm
1 Trostani's Judgment
1 Ultimate Price

The idead of my deck is to get to the late-game using creatures for defense along with lots of removal and cards that mess with your opponent's tempo (Soul Tithe, Destroy the Evidence, and perhaps Chronic Flooding).  I have included 18 lands and an Izzet Keyrune to help get to the late-game.  From there, you can grind your opponent out with fliers or finish with a Cyclonic Rift or Explosive Impact.  Alternatively, you can mill your opponent with cards like Doorkeeper, Codex Shredder, Chronic Flooding, and Destroy the Evidence.