Which class will they release next?

I anticipate a new packet this coming Monday, and they've now stated that new classes will come more frequently. Will we get a new class in the packet, or will it release mid-month like the Monk did? What class will they release next? Anything you're dying to see? Terrified to see? What are you hoping for?

Danny

Paladin. Because no one has anything to talk about on the boards these days.

In memory of wrecan and his Unearthed Wrecana.

With all the heat over alignment restrictions, I have a feeling we'll be seeing the Paladin soon so they can get some feeback on it.
My two copper.
I continue to hope that it will be the Soulknife.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
The Druid and Paladin are mentioned in the Magic Item doc, so I'm thinking those two.
Paladin. Mearls mentioned the Paladin, therefore the Paladin will be the next class to be released. There hasn't been any real talk about any other class except the Ranger. Maybe there will be a double class release with Paladin and Ranger!

I wouldn't expect a new packet Monday. What seems more likely is that Mearls will mention that a new packet is coming a week in advance, so until he hints/blatantly says that a new packet is coming, it won't be coming out.

So odds are no new packet monday.

I anticipate the druid won't come out just yet until they get a better grasp on the magic system and how they want to handle animal companions. 
I doubt we'll see Ranger sooner rather than later because it kind of has an identity crisis and I feel they are trying to sort it out.
My two copper.
Paladin. Mearls mentioned the Paladin, therefore the Paladin will be the next class to be released. There hasn't been any real talk about any other class except the Ranger. Maybe there will be a double class release with Paladin and Ranger!

The Druid is also mentioned in the Magic Item doc.

After that (or at the same time), Ranger, I think.
Perhaps, I was just basing it off of the classes that were mentioned in the Legends and Lore article, not the classes as mentioned in the magic item file.
The paladin was mentioned in the L&L article this week, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that class show up sometime during the next packet.

Sounds to me like there will be paladins for each alignment.  ". . . the true source of the class's power, come from the power a paladin gains by swearing allegiance to a specific alignment."  They did something similar for each alignment in Dragon Magazine (back when v3.5 first came out).  The good guys in one article, the bad boys in another (next issue).

I'd be okay with that.  Call 'em holy warriors, and give each alignment's champion its own class name (like Blackguard for CE maybe).  The Paladin could be the LG poster boy for the group of holy/unholy warriors.

That's how I'd do it at least but we'll see ;). 
/\ Art
Sounds to me like there will be paladins for each alignment.

Which is superbly lame, IMO, let's just take away the paladin's testes (identity) completely.

Which is superbly lame, IMO, let's just take away the paladin's testes (identity) completely.

DON'T! YOU'LL START A RIOT!
My two copper.
They seem to have a better grasp on martial than magic, so of the three discussed most (ranger, paladin, and druid), I am going with barbarian Tongue Out

They should just remove alignments altogether...

/duck
/hide
/lol

A few more paladin castrati round the place can't be a bad thing.

If they do Paladin of every alignment, call the class Exemplar, and Paladin is the LG version. Then remove penalties from 'falling', they just become the Exemplar of the new alignment they are. Instant lack of drama.
I'd like to see rangers so I can judge it.

But more likely, it'll be... dragonfire adepts.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

I'd like to see rangers so I can judge it. But more likely, it'll be... dragonfire adepts.

...I didn't know anyone else remembered that class existed.

One of my favorites, actually.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
If they do Paladin of every alignment, call the class Exemplar, and Paladin is the LG version. Then remove penalties from 'falling', they just become the Exemplar of the new alignment they are. Instant lack of drama.

I could go with this.
My two copper.
pSION
Warlord soon please
I hear that.

Can't wait for Warlord
History is mixed on evidence for what class is likely to show up next. The Warlock and the Sorcerer were thrown out there because they were the two classes that they felt needed the most work. The monk, on the other hand, was able to be released because its design made it a quick turnaround. So there's precedent for them including classes because they're pretty solid, and precendent for them including classes because they're not very solid at all.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.
A few more paladin castrati round the place can't be a bad thing.

If one's into that sort of deviant music! 
Spoony Bards.
pSION

Ah, see, I would like to see the psion, they mentioned psionics in the 1st Bestiary (Grey Ooze), but not a hint since.

I really like that 1st playtest packet.
Spoony Bards.

My + to this post is over 9000.
My two copper.

If one's into that sort of deviant music! 

Not that there's much of it to check out these days.

Keeping the thread on-topic. I want to see the paladin. The psion would be even nicer, but that's a little unlikely.
I'd like to see rangers so I can judge it. But more likely, it'll be... dragonfire adepts.

...I didn't know anyone else remembered that class existed.

One of my favorites, actually.

I like them too. Love them as NPCs.

Next should be released with a dragony race and a dragony class.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Paladin, but I'd like to see sorcerer and warlock make a return. Eager to see how they shake out, even if I'll never use em'
A few guidelines for using the internet: 1. Mentally add "In my opinion" to the end of basically anything someone else says. Of course it's their opinion, they don't need to let you know. You're pretty smart. 2. Assume everyone means everything in the best manner they could mean it. Save yourself some stress and give people the benefit of the doubt. We'll all be happier if we type less emoticons. 3. Don't try to read people's minds. Sometimes people mean exactly what they say. You probably don't know them any better than they know themselves. 4. Let grammar slide. If you understood what they meant, you're good. It's better for your health. 5. Breath. It's just a dumb game.
The Incarnate is easy to drop in.
I'm pretty much certain the next class will be Paladin. Druid/Ranger may be included as well, since Druid was mentioned recently. I'm eager to see how Psion is handled, since we've been promised PHB1 Psionic classes. I wonder if they'll use any of the Monk's mechanics...?
I hope that they fix equipment before they release any medium armor classes like the barbarian and the ranger because right now medium armor needs help.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/10.jpg)

I can't wait to see the elf class.

what?

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

I can't wait to see the elf class.

what?

The perfect character: elf race, elf class, with the Elven background, and a heritage feat called Fey-Blooded for having an elf in his family line. The perfect character has done nothing in his life but be an elf, and that puts him on par with greatest of heroes. They came so close with the sorcerer bloodlines...
Either the Warlord or Bard to take the slack off the Cleric in terms of healing.  My preference is for the Warlord, in spite of the Bard being my FAVORITE class (Warlord is a close second), but I would like them to get the Casting systems straightened out a little more first.  I would rather they waited until after the Monk playtest survey to figure out what people want in terms of alignment before they tackle the Paladin.  I would like to see them reintroduce the Sorcerer, but this time with both the Dragon Sorcerer and a more Traditional Sorcerer (the class's mechanics make this incredibly easy, so I don't know what the big fuss was about it).
I think they will launch the Paladin and do the feedback at the same time. Doing the monk feedback on alignment is no indication of how the paladin will turn out. Personally I can see non lawful monks. I can't see nonlawful good paladins . So if you ask me about the monk you will get a different answer.

But it sounds like Paladin is coming from the way l&l talks
I think they will launch the Paladin and do the feedback at the same time. Doing the monk feedback on alignment is no indication of how the paladin will turn out. Personally I can see non lawful monks. I can't see nonlawful good paladins . So if you ask me about the monk you will get a different answer. But it sounds like Paladin is coming from the way l&l talks

They have already said that there will be non-LG paladins, so there's that.  Just how they go about that might be up for debate.  Hopefully, they will go for being more inclusive than exclusive.  If the goal is to be open to as many playstyles as possible, exclusive (LG-only) is not a good plan if they want to cater to more than one playstyle.  Allowing for arbitrary restrictions to be added later is better than making them be removed.
I am HOPING for Bard or Warlock.  The general trend here seems to be Paladin, which is okay, too I suppose.

I am wondering what they will do with Ranger, since as it stands, it seems that a properly modeled Fighter is, essentially, a Ranger (Explorer background, Sharpshooter combat style, etc.)

Honestly, I'd like to see what is cooking up for all the classes right now, but honestly I feel you can make prettymuch anything with the classes we have right now with the way they've handled Backgrounds and whatnot.

Its weird, but I'm liking what I am seeing. 
I'm eager to see how Psion is handled, since we've been promised PHB1 Psionic classes.

There are no PHB 1 psionic classes, the only PHB1 psionics are in the 1st Ed PHB, and there were no psionic classes, just powers any character had a chance of getting (if you even included psionics in your campaign).

I would really like to finally see a good Psion in a PHB 1, would also help it from always having the tacked-on stigma. 
I am expecting at least three new classes in the next playtest, to be honest.  I'm thinking they will have the revisions to the magic system done enough to bring back the Warlock and the 3.X Ed Sorcerer (the DDN version is being renamed, but will be in the DDN PHB).  I also anticipate a "new" class, with Paladin a likely candidate.
Sign In to post comments