Food for Gaming?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I would like to know what food you bring/make for your D&D sessions.
I'm looking for something to make that will hopefully not take time out of our RP, but any and all ideas are welcome.
When it comes to food, I typically like something edible.  Ensuring the food is non-toxic is also a decent idea.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Yeah, it was way more fun when we still served our special Jonestown Blend Flavor Aid.

Section Six Soldier

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

I've actually heard Sandwiches are the best gaming food. In fact, the origin of the sandwich comes from gaming.
I'm looking for something to make that will hopefully not take time out of our RP, but any and all ideas are welcome.

What will you be serving to drink?
Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.

They typically bring their own.
I've actually heard Sandwiches are the best gaming food. In fact, the origin of the sandwich comes from gaming.

I guess that would work.

They typically bring their own.

What do they typically bring?

Nut Eating Resident Sociopathic Eye Forker 2346-strong Squirrel leigon of DOOM Squirrel Overlord of the House of Trolls Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. ~Plato Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy. ~Ernest Benn The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it. ~P.J. O'Rourke "I actually held public office and I left the only way a politician should, in handcuffs." ~ Chael Sonnen It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it! ~ Upton Sinclair Kicked Adam and Eve out of Missouri. Wears flip-flops in church buildings. Official troller of Kolob.
This is not a trapp
My temple name is Elohim. What is your super-secret temple name?
Riddle me this
How can two people with physical bodies make spirit babies?
*Two points about this gag. Firstly, every writer of anything makes typos and I’m no different. It’s “there but for the grace of God go I” rather than schadenfreude here. The second is something called Muphry’s Law (no, it is Muphry’s, not Murphy’s) which states that any piece correcting or laughing at a typo, spelling or grammatical mistake will contain at least one worse than the original being complained of.
This week I'll be serving chili, coleslaw, and corn bread. For desert I'm making peach cobbler and apple pie. I got a recipe for a kiwi pie from a friend of a friend's wife that I might try too, but I'm not sure yet.
Boraxe wrote: "Knowledge of the rules and creativity are great attributes for a DM, but knowing when to cut loose and when to hold back, when to follow the rules and when to discard them, in order to enhance the enjoyment of the game is the most important DM skill of all." Keeper of the Sacred Kitty Bowl of the House of Trolls. Resident Kitteh-napper.
Depends on the group, and my home situation. I tend to bake when my husband is not home, so my gaming group benefits from my cookies/brownies/cakes/etc.

We meet up after 8 (after little ones are put to bed), so our food usually consists of snacks and things that are terrible for us (candy/sweets/etc).

Tomorrow, I think it'll be making a fruit crumble thing with frozen berries, white cake mix, and sprite. We'll see how that goes.
Benevolent God of Death "No one told you when to run."

Greasy food and anything messy like tacos or sloppy joes are definitely out at my tables. I really don't do the whole dinner-and-gaming thing - If you brought food cuz you didn't have time to eat beforehand, you generally make sure you finish it before we get into the first big encounter and start rolling dice. If I was going to make food for a gaming session, it'd definitely be sandwiches...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

We don't have kids and we start playing at 2 and usualy dont stop till midnight or later so food is a must.
Back when I gamed all day, we used to buy these awesome choriso burritos from a local shop. I could eat half for lunch and then half for dinner (some gamers at the table would buy two or three).

But I agree with Mad_Jack - messy food is just dangerous to have at the table. We have a "no open drinks on the table" policy after my husband spilled a huge Mountain Dew onto a friend's book. I usually provide TV trays for drinks and food.

When we played for whole day, we would usually take a break for dinner, then come back to the game. Sometimes we split the bill, sometimes everyone went and got what they wanted, sometimes we cooked in. But it was a definite stop in the action. Other than the meal, we'd just have snack food.
Way back in the day (a couple of years ago) my gaming group would usually eat something like pizza and whatnot.

I was in a gaming group for savage worlds for a month or two last year or something and we had small meals we'd kinda break for. Like a small gaming dinner and it would be like a salad maybe a sammich. maybe a mac salad or potato salad. maybe some meat. nothing messy but a good variety.

Resident Grouch and Corrupting Influence A Monster Appears I'm Black and Blue how 'bout you?

Beer, pretzles and mustard. Well actually Im the only one who likes the mustard, Am I a minority here? I cant be the only one that likes mustard with pretzles right? The rest of the group always looks at me funny, like I'M the weird one, ya know? We also do alot of pizza, actually we're kinda burnt on the pizza we havnt done that in awhile, but beer and pretzles are like the main thing, and mustard.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
We usually ordered a pizza; of course when it arrived we took a break.
burning oil is part of the fun. 

But since you asked I'l ltell you, you roll it up, for added fun a buddy can take the other end.

but really Id just like to know if anybody else eats their pretzels with mustard. 
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
nope

Resident Grouch and Corrupting Influence A Monster Appears I'm Black and Blue how 'bout you?

nope

but you have tried the pizza thing right? 
nope

but you have tried the pizza thing right? 

Like doing pizza? No....

You should try it, you might like it. getya a bowl and squirt a buncha musturd in there, get a big bag o pretzles and just dip em in there, good stuff im tellin ya.
pretzles and musturd is tastey. 

I dream of Beer Head Armies.

Autocard is our friend. [c‍]Urborg Mindsucker[/‍c] → Urborg Mindsucker

Yeah, like, I know TS is all messed up in the brainz an' whatnot but pretzels an' mustard is pretty good.  So's mustard an' fries.

Section Six Soldier

So's mustard an' fries.

Hear, hear!

Though I like them with mayo-garlic sauce more.

I like pretzels with honey mustard. Fries too.

Honey mustard is the bomb.
Hear, hear!

Though I like them with mayo-garlic sauce more.

True dat, homie.  That's a good combo right there.

I like pretzels with honey mustard. Fries too.

Honey mustard is the bomb.

Preach it, sista!! 

Section Six Soldier

Gah, why did I open that thread when I'm in that terrible state of being hungry, too tired to make or go out buy something and with no cash at hand or food in the fridge?

EDIT. God bless America and Domino's.

Never been a big fan of mustard...

(Random trivia: back in the mid-'90's I used to roll pretzels at the mall at a place called Pretzel Time... I can cut, weigh, roll, dip, tray, salt and stuff in the oven four pretzels in about 45 seconds, lol...)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Beer, beer, and beer.
And noxious weeds.
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse."- John Stuart Mill “Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”― William F. Buckley "The straw in your man is amazing."- Maxperson Original Hipster of the House of Trolls: I was hipster before hipster was cool Resident Hater Mini Hate Machine
In years past, we had a number of maps and boards stained by kool-aid. Nowadays, some form of booze tends to be present. Sometimes booze mixed with kool-aid.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Yeah, like, I know TS is all messed up in the brainz an' whatnot but pretzels an' mustard is pretty good.  So's mustard an' fries.

yeah TS is an odd one, wait, wait, are we talking about the same TS here?
OK i was talking with a friend last night who is from the east coast and she was saying that she always eats pretzels with mustard and that everyone she knows does. Me on the other hand, from cali, didn't know of anybody that ate pretzels with mustard, or even knew it was a thing, before this thread existed.

I guess different places different cultures.

OK i was talking with a friend last night who is from the east coast and she was saying that she always eats pretzels with mustard and that everyone she knows does. Me on the other hand, from cali, didn't know of anybody that ate pretzels with mustard, or even knew it was a thing, before this thread existed.

I guess different places different cultures.

interesting, so Im not alone! 

and you got me kinda curious, what do you eat with your pretzels? 
other pretzels....

Like it doesn't matter if they is the large doughy kind or the small crackery kind i just eat pretzels plain. Like it has never occurred to me that they should be eaten any other way.

My wife thinks its weird that i eat them with musturd, but she smothers hers in cheese! so what does she know?
I think i could understand the cheese thing if its the right kind of cheese. Cheese can go with just about anything if you're using the right type.

My wife thinks its weird that i eat them with musturd, but she smothers hers in cheese! so what does she know?

I always thought cheese and pretzels was weird, but then again I rarely even put cheese on my burgers so what do I know?
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Sign In to post comments