Goblins!

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I love Goblins. I love their speed, I love their abilities, I love a 1/1 Haste on the first turn, and I love winning the game in a short amount of time. I have to ask a few questions, however.
1. Goblin cards/ledgendary creatures you'd recommend?

2. Is it possible to have a good Goblin commander deck?

3. What should I watch out for with goblins?

4. To what turn should I be worried about counter spells?

5. How can I get that last (x) points of damage in when my opponent has defenses up?

6. What are some good complimentary colors to red aggro? (I was thinking R/G/W)
1: Not many solid goblins in standard right now.
2: Probably, you should ask over in the Commander forum.
3: Goblins as a general rule are fast Aggro decks that bump their hand fast.  As such you need to worry mostly about board wipes and fast combos.
4: Depends on the format, but if you're goblins, you shouldn't worry about them too much.
5: Burn.
6: Any color can complement Red.  Black has some nice removal, Green as some fun stuff, as does White.  Blue isn't as complementary but some counter magic of your own never hurts.  However, goblins generally only need to be mono-Red.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
Since this is Standard Deck Help, here's a simple goblins list that I made for someone else a day or so ago who was asking about goblins in Standard:

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

I support Azure's list. It's very simple and well-made. Arms Dealer is another card to consider, but I think Azure made a good choice in excluding it with all those burn spells.

Decks like the one above certainly don't have the speed of legacy Goblin decks (Goblin Lackey, Warren Instigator, etc.) which may be what you are looking for. If you want a deck more on that level of speed, try variants of :R: and/or :B: aggro/burn lists. (They run little, if any, goblins, but use fast stuff like Rakdos Cackler, Hellrider).
Standard Pauper! (play it on MTGO)
Goblin Rally should not be played with only 22 lands, definitiely not a 4 of either.
Also, Mogg Flunkies should just never be played.

And Fire over Searing Spear?  Really?

From AzureShade's list I'd:

-4 Fire, +4 Spear
-4 Flunkies, +2 land, +2 Fervor
-2 Ralley, +2 Hellrider
-1 Krendo, +1 Hellrider

You could probably try to mess with it and make it more comboish with Battle Hymn and Past in Flames.  However I'm not much of a combo builder, we'd need Islands or some other mad creative genius to come along to hash out what that list might look like.

If I had to take a crack at it though, I'd go (again off of AzureShade's original list):
-2 Wrath, +2 Past in Flames
-4 Fire, +4 Spear
-4 Flunkies, +4 Hymn
-1 Ralley, -1 Krendo, +2 land

Maybe also:
-1 Guttersnipe, +1 Banners Raised
-4 Arsonist, +2 Banners, +2 Fervor

Ideally for the combo though you'd splash Blue for Goblin Electromancer.
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
For S's and G's

Gombo

Deck wins either through guttersnipe triggers, a metric crapton of hasty humans, or an enormous Devil's play.

Basically, you want to get to a critical mass of creatures (something like electromancer + 2 others), resolve a battle hymn into Past in flames, and then just go freaking nuts. Dangerous Wager, Faithless Looting and Reforge the soul all help you dig through your deck for gas. Increasing Vengeance functions as additional copies of critical spells: Command, Hymn, Revolt. Once you have the mana to flash it back (if you copy a battle hymn this way, congrats), the explosiveness of the deck just takes off. If you don't want to splash blue, Infernal Plunge can be subbed in for Electromancer.

Granted, this gets hosed by Rest in Peace but eh. 
Well, I disagree about Flunkies, but I don't think I'd use it in a build with only one playset of one drops and nothing hasty coming down on turn 3.
No aggressive Red 2-drop should not be able to do anything by itself. He's too much a dead draw on his own. Red never wants there creatures to be a dead draw. Even a 1/1 is preferable to a creature that can't attack until you draw ANOTHER guy and thus wait another turn.
My Decks
Yeah, I've been looking to make a deck like this work...  But it seems like me that the one and only card that actually makes using a goblin theme make any sense is Krenko, Mob BossGoblin Grenade is done, as is any other card that has anything to do with goblins other thanArms Dealer...  So, it seems to me that there are better alternative spells to use unless you're running at least 3 Krenko's to give yourself a solid shot at doing something that makes goblins worthwhile.

I guess what I'm shooting for is something similar to VRdragoon's list idea, except I feel like i either want to splash more blue control, or remove the blue altogether...  The electromancer just makes goblin rally a lot more likely...
-4 Goblin Electromancer
+4 Infernal Plunge

Not quite as efficient, but its 100% red at that point. Helps you cast your spells, flashes back well, and can be copied without saccing another creature.

*edit*

The deck doesn't really have much room for control elements, and splashing blue really waters down the effectiveness of Battle Hymn, since you wont be able to cast some spells off the additional mana. You'd be better off going mono red.