Red/White deck help. New to magic

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

please help with my deck. Im fairly new and i need this deck to be more organized and better. any help is appreciated.

lands:
Mountain10x
Plains 9x

Slayers' Stronghold 2x

creatures:

Yosei, the Morning Star x1            Balefire Dragonx3  Utvara Hellkitex2

Predator Dragonx1    Vexing Devilx3  
Goblin Arsonistx1   Hellriderx1    Unruly Mobx1  

Aegis Angelx1   Elder Catharx1    Doomed Travelerx1  Ranger of Eosx1

Avacyn, Angel of Hopex1   Cathedral Sanctifierx2

planes walker:

Tibalt, the Fiend-Bloodedx1

artifacts:

Quicksilver Amuletx4  Elixir of Immortalityx1  Ring of Valkasx1

instants:

Annihilating Firex1   Dynachargex1  Angel's Mercyx1  Demystifyx1

Divine Verdictx1  Ray of Revelationx1 

enchantments:

Burden of Guiltx1   Crucible of Firex1 

sorcery's:

Terminusx1   Day of Judgmentx2  Gather the Townsfolkx1

I'd guess your finding the deck slow, and not having enough lands to cast a lot of your creatures.

You have a lot of 5+ casting cost creatures.  Sure you have Quicksilver Amulet to cheat them in, but it doesn't help until you draw it.

The deck feels really scattered.  Hellrider really likes a lot of small guys to capital ize on his ability, but you don't have many.  You have 3 Vexing Devil which realy game is probably rarely a creature, and 4 other rather boring 1/1s.  Dynacharge also like a lot of little things.  Ranger of Eos also loves 1 casting cost creatures. 

On the flip side you have Day of Judgment and Terminus.  These want you to be playing few creatures, and are only used when your opponent has too many out.

You need to step back and ask yourself a few questions.

1) How do I want to win?
2) How fast do I want to win?
3) How will I make sure the other deck doesn't win?
My Decks
Standard: BR Aggro Burn RDW Modern: Dragon Stompy Burn Fae Tempo Zoo Cherrios Legacy: Zoo Dragon Stompy Pauper: Slivers Landfall EDH: Sliver Overlord
1000th post on 2-1-10. 5000th post on 1-21-13.
deck is def really slow. I will sit there not doing anything some turns. The deck was built around bringing big creatures out but they hardly get out lol. I need to get rid of some of the bigger creatures for sure. Or i thought maybe i can get 2 more day of judgments, and another terminus.

i could replace a few creatures with this guy aswell.

Maybe with more destroy creature cards and the quicksilvers i got i will make it easier to get bigger creatures out.
first card choices:
vexing devil
hellrider
dynacharge
gather the townsfolk

although these cards are good-grerat! they belong in a fast deck - you dont want them here

tibalt
crucible of fire
belong in decks designed to get maximum advantage from them, crucible is ok here but is much better with smaller dragons - here you'd probably be better off with more dragons

these cards below are bad to terrible
goblin arsonist
enruly mob
elder cathar
cathedral sanctifier
annihilating fire
angel's mercy
demystify
divine verdict
ray of revelation
burden of guilt

now as for strategy, to play fatties you must think like a fatty:
get 8-12 ways to get them down fast, you cant rely on just quicksilver. koth of the hammer is cheap $$wise and provides nice ramp in monored - he needs a little meat shield though. worn powerstone is another way to go

some sweeps can be a good idea, alternatively theres a few great red walls - also spellskite is every fatty's best friend.
Dear gods, read the FAQ and learn how to autocard and use deck tags! Please!

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

A smart person told me Unburial Rites + Faithless Looting. Loot to draw two and throw the Unburial Rites and a big creature (Avacyn, Angel of Hope or Utvara Hellkite) then flashbak the Rites for four and you have (potentially) two more cards in hand and a biggie on the field
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
since you have to discard 2 you dont have 2 more cards in hand but 1 less - small price to put a fatty on the board for 1+4 mana though

just remember: faithless is card disadvantage unless you run lots of flashback.
oh I meant two new cards and yea I think a fattie for 5 isnt bad at all especially when it could be an 8/8 that makes everything indestructible
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

I think what Escef meant to say is that many forum goers might have slower computers or are browsing at work, where a bunch of big MTG cards on the screen could be bad news, and many of those ppl are browsing with out graphics. So we open your thread to help out, and we see nothing. Autocarding is the way to go.

I think what Escef meant to say is that many forum goers might have slower computers or are browsing at work, where a bunch of big MTG cards on the screen could be bad news, and many of those ppl are browsing with out graphics. So we open your thread to help out, and we see nothing. Autocarding is the way to go.

No, it's just ugly to look at and does a poor job of conveying the information. If you autocard, I can look at the list and the ones I know off the top of my head are fine, and I can mouse-over the ones I don't. Plus, it puts the entire decklist on the screen at once (unless there are a lot of one-of's). Scrolling up and down to look at a deck is just annoyance on top of a visual mess.

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

hehe escef, ill admit that when i agree with you, your old sour man attitude is kinda amusing. You're Nick from new girl
You're Nick from new girl

I'll take your word for it.

Sign In to post comments