Decks types and subtypes

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anyone ever thought about making some kind of short builds classification? Nothing too comlicated, but systematic - just to describe the basic variants of strategies in tote.

For example - Jace's deck can be mill or control (mainly), Izzet's one - control or burn and so on.

I think that such thing can help the newbies to get the essential stuff about their own builds and can support the pros in honing their masterpieces further. 
Garruk's deck: :G: Midrange - Ramp - Big finishers
Yeva's deck: :G: Midrange - Control Elements
Krenko's deck: :R: Tribal Aggro
Jace's deck: :U: Mill - Control
Talrand's deck: :U: Control - Combo
Nefarox' deck: :B::W: Exalted Midrange
Liliana's deck: :B: Control
Odric's deck: :W: Aggro - White Weenie
Ajani's deck: :W: Midrange - Life matters
Chandra: :R: Burn - Control

Selesnya: :G::W: Midrange Tokens
Rakdos: :B::R: Midrange - Removal Heavy
Golgari: :G::B: Midrange - Sacrifice theme
Azorius: :W::U: Midrange - Enchantment matters
Izzet: :U::R: Burn - Control - Bounce (don't know why but I had Cloudburst from 2012 in my mind when thinking about this point)

Simic: :U::G: Midrange - Card Synergy - Control elements
Boros: :R::W: Aggro - Burn - Pump Spells

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Izzet :  Bounce ???   Where is the bounce my friend ?  Bouncing to death maby ?   Thats one of the issues the deck has,  no bounce.

Boros:   Wouldnt really say Boros is a Burn  deck,  has what 3 burn spells ?  Its an  Agro Weenie deck
Yeva is control now? Let's not delude ourselves, 2 erratic portals and three beast withins do not make a control deck, they just add a few elements. Neither does land destruction for that matter, let's just call that aggro/etb effects shall we?

ED gets the aggro/exalted title again, and Radkos gets removal heavy??? The name doesn't mean you have to, or even should focus on exalted triggers you know. Count the ED removal, then the GM removal. Then look at the other cards such as the benefits of silent arbiter (CONTROL) and demigod of revenge (AGGRO). Let's look at deathbringer liege (CONTROL) vs ashenmoor liege (AGGRO). Let's just call ED removal heavy/control and GM Aggro/discard instead. Makes much more sense. 

Most people remove most of the sacrifice cards from SS...if I were to give it a theme, it would be removal heavy, which you mistakenly gave to GM...

Lilliana got branded control too, when I prefer to see it as half and half, but that depends on the build really. Again, removal heavy though.  

As Lilen may have pointed out, MS has no bounce, don't know where you got that from...you may wanna look at your lists again you know.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Oh, I have no idea why I was thinking about Cloudburst from 2012 while writing down stuff about Izzet. Laughing So forget the bounce.

Yeva's deck isn't a full control deck but it has actually really good control options and cards which allow a lot of crazy endgame interactions.

@Karstien
Instead of complaining about my choices why don't you post your own list? Also note that the OP says that we shouldn't analyze the decks too much but just give them a few characteristcs.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Oh, I have no idea why I was thinking about Cloudburst from 2012 while writing down stuff about Izzet. So forget the bounce.

Yeva's deck isn't a full control deck but it has actually really good control options and cards which allow a lot of crazy endgame interactions.

@Karstien
Instead of complaining about my choices why don't you post your own list? Also note that the OP says that we shouldn't analyze the decks too much but just give them a few characteristcs.

I would but I really can't be bothered making lists of anything. I will always be available to insert my own opinion into other peoples lists though. If you really want my own list, then take yours, and make the changes I outlined above, and voila, my list is done. For what it's worth, you were pretty much spot on with the rest. 

And yeah, Yeva has good control options, but so does AS and PK, since both of mine are built towards control. I'm not going to kid myself though, they are both pretty aggro, no matter how much control you try to wedge in. Some decks are just made that way. Even my beloved ED can't drop all the aggro, but it can maintain enough of a controling presence, being able to lock down any other deck with the exception of a late game pernicious deed, that it qualifies as control if built correctly. 

I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Sign In to post comments