starting Curse of Undeath build - two sets

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, I recently got in two Curse of Undeath sets and am looking to combine them as I have the others.  I'll start by saying I really like the Vampire so wanted to include two in the build.  I also cut the Dracolich to bring the level total down a bit, as my changes already raised it from 37 to 42.  Here is the creature mix.

2 Warrior Skeleton
2 Hypnotic Spirit
2 Skeletal Tomb Guardian
2 Vampire Stalker
2 Disciple of Kyuss
2 Lich Necromancer

Does this look viable?  More Cha and a little less Con.  Now I just need a good mix of order cards.  Again I have two sets so I can double some and remove others.  Any thoughts would be appreciated putting this together.
If you have Goblins of Tyranny I would recommend using some attachable order cards which would enhance your vampire.  Acrobatics would enable your character to move quickly through hindering terrain and shift past front line opponents in order to reach the soft mages.  Loping Stride would add two to his speed.  Tough as Nails would reduce damage from every attack by 10 (this is the ultimate defense card).  Undaunted Surge, while it can not be used on the same character as Tough as Nails, is awesome for adding 10 damage to all attacks.  Regenerate (undeath order card) enables the vampire to heal by ten at the begining of every turn.  Spawn of Kyuss damages each enemy who ends his turn adjacent to you.  Short Magic Sword, which practically guarentees that the target will take damage, might be helpful for the vampire since he gains 10 health every time he successfully does melee damage to another player.

There are some unattachable cards that will also help the Vampire Stalker.  Death Sentence and Quick Jab offter the vampire the opportunity to gain health every turn since they give him an extra melee attack. Vampiric Touch and Cloud of Bats  are effective cards for the Vampire Stalker, though Vampiric Touch has more value in the hands of many other creatures in your deck.

As a strategy for winning my recomendations may well fail.  I am mostly listing the cards that I think would be fun to use on the Vampire Stalker.  I haven't tried my ideas out yet. 

I would also suggest Unbreakable since it can prevent 50 damage to your Vampire Salker or your Skeletal Tomb Guardian.  Defensive Advantage might be the most obvious choice since it is available to half the creatures in your deck, it prevents 20 damage, and, best of all, it allows you to draw an extra order card!  Parry (from Sting of Lolth) is a much more debateable choice.  The downside is that the order card can only help your Vampire Stalker prevent 10 damage.  However it does allow you to draw an extra order card.  So if you intend to keep your vampires active for almost the whole game Parry would be helpful.  Sheild and Warning Shout can be used by your mages to protect your vampire.

The obvious weakness in this sort of a strategy is that it is built around not loosing your Vampire Stalkers.  And since he is almost always fighting on the front lines this scheme might be a loosing proposition.  
Thanks Truthspeaker for all the good tips.  At this point I want to try to keep it all Curse of Undeath, or I fear it will become too much like my Tyranny of Goblins build.  Although in the future I may swap some cards in as I agree they are a perfect fit.

Dimension Door seems like it can come in handy as a card.  I might throw two in and just see how they play out.

Also I see you mention Shield.  How about the included Mage Armor?  Not sure how it stacks up as a defensive card.  Would be great against a pesky Elf Archer.

Also what about Fear and Hypnotic Gaze?  Fear seems kind of useless to me.  Hypnotic Gaze though seems like it could be useful, even with Hypnotic Spirit.

I'll try to come up with a build and post it.  Thanks again.  Any other ideas are appreciated.
OK here is my first stab at an all Curse of Undeath build. 

2 Warrior Skeleton
2 Hypnotic Spirit
2 Skeletal Tomb Guardian
2 Vampire Stalker
2 Disciple of Kyuss
2 Lich Necromancer

2 Cloud of Bats
2 Unbreakable
2 Warning Shout
2 Call to Battle
2 Dimension Door
2 Dispel Magic
2 Mage Armor
2 Regenerate
2 Gout of Fire
2 Hulking Attack
2 Hypnotic Gaze
2 Terrifying Revelation
3 Defensive Advantage
3 Vampiric Touch

Let me know what you think.  I tried to build it as a somewhat defensive snipe type deck.
You're going to need two of your high end creatures to be able to use Terrifying Revelation. That means either giving up two useful actions or coincidentally having two of them together without anything better to do (only likely in the first turn since in future turns you will want to be deploying right in the thick of the action using Lich Necromancer)...so I don't really see why you would want this card in here.

Otherwise there are some very good cards in there and some I don't see myself using easily (Mage Armor to name one).

For some other ideas on Undead warbands see the Warbands thread, although those are mostly, if not all, combining cards from other sets as well (mostly Tyranny of Goblins cards for the Cha/Con and Arcane Ritual from Heroes of Cormyr for use with one of the Int creatures.)
That's right, I would never play Terrifying Revelation unless I'm playing Dracolich or Horned Devil. It's okay if you've got the occasional 'Oops, I win!' with two lower level CHA creatures, but I would never play a card I can't use with at least one creature by itself (Sneak Attack might be the only exception and only because it works a lot better with assist).
Good point guys on Terrifying Revelation!  I didn't notice that.  I like the Dracolich too but he would push my level total too high so I left him out and focussed more on snipe/stealth abilities. 

I was wondering about Mage Armor myself but figured I would give it a try.  I'll have to play test the build and see how it goes. 

If I take out the two Terrifying Revelations maybe I'll add 2 Magic Short Sword.  Those could come in really handy, especially against the Drow.
Magic Short Sword could work, especially on the Vampire Stalker. Other options could be to increase the number of offensive Orders, since you seem to be a bit low on those (I guess you could consider Magic Short Sword an offensive card, but I mostly mean the type of Order card that goes "make an attack and deal (sword) +x damage")
Magic Short Sword could work, especially on the Vampire Stalker. Other options could be to increase the number of offensive Orders, since you seem to be a bit low on those (I guess you could consider Magic Short Sword an offensive card, but I mostly mean the type of Order card that goes "make an attack and deal (sword) +x damage")

I could always add more Hypnotic Gaze/Vampiric Touch instead?

Can someone explain to me a situation where Hypnotic Gaze's abilty to shift an enemy would be useful?  Would you shift the persons piece into melee with you and make an attack?  Or shift someone out from cover and make a ranged attack?  Or even attack melee, then shift them away so you could run away?  If all of these are possibilities then I can see how it would be a usefull card.  Maybe I would up those to 4 copies then.
Can someone explain to me a situation where Hypnotic Gaze's abilty to shift an enemy would be useful?

It's awesome.  +20 damage is already significant, but on top of it you can disrupt formations, get pesky ranged attackers out of cover (because Gaze just needs LOS and ignores cover), get fragile guys in front of beefy defenders as long as you at least see them, etc etc.

Against Cormyr you can lure away the guys he thought were protected by Dwarven Defender and/or Dwarf Cleric (though with the Cleric if you're not killing his guy in one turn from full, he can heal him in response to the Gaze I guess). Against Undead you get their Lich Necromancer out of his hidey place behind his zombie/skeleton horde and destroy his mobile base of operation. It's very versatile.
Can someone explain to me a situation where Hypnotic Gaze's abilty to shift an enemy would be useful?

It's awesome.  +20 damage is already significant, but on top of it you can disrupt formations, get pesky ranged attackers out of cover (because Gaze just needs LOS and ignores cover), get fragile guys in front of beefy defenders as long as you at least see them, etc etc.

Against Cormyr you can lure away the guys he thought were protected by Dwarven Defender and/or Dwarf Cleric (though with the Cleric if you're not killing his guy in one turn from full, he can heal him in response to the Gaze I guess). Against Undead you get their Lich Necromancer out of his hidey place behind his zombie/skeleton horde and destroy his mobile base of operation. It's very versatile.

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply.  I will try two more of those then as they will be useful, even with my Hypnotic Spirit.

2 Warrior Skeleton
2 Hypnotic Spirit
2 Skeletal Tomb Guardian
2 Vampire Stalker
2 Disciple of Kyuss
2 Lich Necromancer

2 Cloud of Bats
2 Unbreakable
2 Warning Shout
2 Call to Battle
2 Dimension Door
2 Dispel Magic