Character Concept Needs Design Direction

26 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hello all.  I have a concept for a character in mind, but would like some assistance in fleshing it out.  I don't need to know exactly which options will be OP right at this point, but getting pointed in the right direction would help.

The concept of the character is fairly loose, so I have some rooom to play with:  It should be a character focused around swordplay, teleportation, and should somehow be shadow-themed (not the actual Theme mechanic), such as: dealing necrotic damage, having concealment, having insubstantial, having phasing, or some combination thereof.  It should be somewhat of a striker, but another role with a strong striker secondary is acceptable.  Being able to effectively use Stealth is also welcome, but is a low priority, and if it can't be fit into the build, it won't be a big deal.

Some other ideas I envision of the character are: making a ranged attack (flavored as throwing his sword at them) then teleporting adjacent to them (flavored as teleporting to the sword).  This could also be flavored as turning into a shadow sword, throwing myself at them, then changing back to a character.

So, basically, the concept is a vary amorpheous being made of shadowstuff that shifts around the battlefield via shadow manipulation (i.e.: teleportation or shifting), inflicting wounds upon people.

My initial thought is that an Assault Swordmage would be the perfect class for this.  Their aegis punishment is very fitting of the ranged attacking I mention (though mechanics wise, the teleport comes before the attack, and its a melee attack, the effect is close enough).  I'm still unsure on race, PP, and ED, but have some thoughts.

I was thinking Revenant, since they have a strong affinity for Necrotic damage, and eventually gain easy ways of accessing insubstantiality and phasing.  Past life would be Shadar-kai, so I can eventually take the Blade of the Raven Queen feat, making power selection much easier.  This also lets me utilize cold-damage support, which is much stronger than necrotic support, while I work towards that feat.

I will continued to look into the subject, but in the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions for what direction I should look into, feel free to provide them.  I'm still open on how exactly to build the character, so I'm not mentally locked into anything yet.

EDIT: Oh, I also meant to provide this link, which was the inspiration for the character.  Not the person, but the "shadow samurai" he is fighting. www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_emb... 

Sig
Yes, I killed your BBEG with his own lair:
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
This is CharOp, not build my character for me.  Put up a build, people might critique it.  But generally, people won't build it for you.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
SM|Lock.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
@thespaceinvader: I realize what board I'm on.  As I stated, I'm still working on one, and will gladly post what I end up with.  I even listed a rough idea of what I'm currently looking at.  However, whenever I start a new character build, I do like to get input during the process, rather than spend hours coming up with something, just for someone to point out to me that if I had taken a completely different direction, it would work out much better.  Lastly, if you personally feel no need to provide input at this time, you're welcome to not do so, as is everyone else, but I know there are others on this board that have responded to similar posts I've made, that are more than willing to help point people in the right direction.  Since you did say 'generally', though, I'm sure you understand that anyway, which means you knew that at least some people would respond with positive input, and so your point becomes somewhat null.

@Fardiz:  I hadn't considered a hybrid yet.  I'm typcially hesitant to use them unless I really want a certain combination of class features.  Which feature, in particular, are you suggesting it for?  The reliable concealment is nice.
Sig
Setting: Tomb with a perilous bridge and cliff 100 feet above a lava pit. Mummy pops out of his sarcophagus, initiative: Felix, Half-Elf Artificer: Twin Strike with crossbow. Trump (ala Donald), Eladrin Warlord: Charges mummy with Opening Shove, pushing off the cliff. Mummy fails saving throw, and falls into pit. Sanshiro (ala Japanese "superhero" Segata), Minotaur Barbarian: Strength check to lift sarcophagus and carry to cliff. Free action, drop sarcophagus into square above mummy. Sarcophagus drops on mummy, shoving him further down into lava. Mummy: proceeds to make a series of horrible athletics checks to swim and climb cliff. Dies a horrible death with lava permeating every orifice. Entire Party: Watches on in delight, faces alit with the glow of lava and flaming undead.
Original CharOpper
I soap myself up, and turn up the hot water in the shower, so my sweat mixes with the soap, slickening my skin: +5 to grapple I use my own legs as a shield since only upper-body hits matter: +5 defense I use my teammates bodies to construct a vehicle for myself, and dual-wield their weapons because as long as I win, we all win: +10 attack, +10 defense I completely ignore the enemy, their attacks, the devastating damage they are dealing to me and my team, and strike directly for their base, completely obliterating them, their way of life, and any chance they had at survival as a species: WIN Ender: The Original CharOpper and Power Gamer.
There are a lot of pointless thematic leaps here. Like going with Revenant. And focusing on necrotic damage. And anyone can have Perma-concealment rather easily.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
@zelink551:  True.  Revenant was just my initial thought for race.  Shade or Shadar-Kai could just as easily be fitting, as could anything else if the Theme/Class/PP/ED combination provided enough shadow flavor of its own.  Necrotic damage was the first damage type I think of when I think of a shadow-being dealing damage, and it is heavily associated with the Shadowfell in 4e.  And yes, anyone can easily have it with a Shadow Band.  I did say that I didn't really need ALL of the things I listed; just that the more of those concepts that could be fit into the build, the better.
Sig
Original CharOpper
There are countless ways beyond a Shadow Band. Also, I saw the video as more combating the shadows than being a shadow, but YMMV.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Yeah few people are going to have nice things to say about choosing to focus on necrotic damage for roleplay purposes. It's just badly supported and too widely resisted. I'd really suggest focusing more on shadows/comcealment/teleporting and just fluff his attacks as shadowy.

SM/Lock lets you poach stuff from the two classes that fit your ideas best. Swordmage loses very little when hybriding, and warlock gives you a strong, well-supported MBA and access to the best teleport stuff available (Ethereal Sidestep and Evermeet Warlock PP for starters). It also helps you fulfill your striker requirement.
Sounds like an Avenger.
@zelink551: Shadow Band (or anything else that specifically says you gain concealment) is the only way I feel is truely reliable.  Depending on things like the magical candles that give you concealment via dim lighting loses to anything with Low-light vision or Darkvision.  As for the video, yes he was combating the shadow, but the inspiration for the character is the shadow he was combating.

@Scatterbrained: I've definitely seen the distate for Necrotic on here.  That is why I was looking into ways to mix it with something else; specifically cold damage, which, as I stated, has much more support and favor on the boards (i.e.: Frostcheese).

I had forgotten that Warlocks had a decent little teleport package as well.  Do you think a straight Warlock would also work?  No need for me to splash Swordmage and dilute a perfectly good Warlock if the Swordmage doesn't add anything.  Admittedly, the Assault Aegis would be very nice for the build, but if there are ways to attack and teleport with the Warlock, I think I can make due.

I will look into some Warlock powers and see if there are enough powers that combine teleporting and attacking to suit my tastes for the build.  I know Swordmage has plenty that combine them, but not sure about Warlock. 
Sig
Original CharOpper
Not a whole lot of powers that teleport you to the target in Warlock.  Most of them teleport the target somewhere.  However, Warlock has the advantage of reliably being able to use a move action to teleport, so I'd still put it on par with Swordmage for fitting the build.  So, still looking at Swordmage|Warlock, or maybe straight Warlock.

@Sceptile: I took a look at Avenger powers while in the Compendium, and there just didn't seem to be that many that teleported you to the target.  It was about the same ratio as the Warlock (about 50/50), however the Warlock has the added benefit of reliable teleportation movement, concealment, necrotic damage (or cold/necrotic damage), and meshes well with the Swordmage.
Sig
Original CharOpper
For what its worth Avenger is the only class where every single well built one should be doing necrotic damage once they hit paragon and get painful oath.
Not a whole lot of powers that teleport you to the target in Warlock.  Most of them teleport the target somewhere.  However, Warlock has the advantage of reliably being able to use a move action to teleport, so I'd still put it on par with Swordmage for fitting the build.  So, still looking at Swordmage|Warlock, or maybe straight Warlock.

Yeah personally I'd probably do a straight warlock. Sorcerer-King pact's Hand of Blight mixes necrotic with psychic damage (and I think later powers continue the trend), and it also happens to be a strong pact.  As for the teleport-to-target stuff, that may need to be fluffed a bit. You can still attack at range and then teleport with your move, but you may not always want to end up next to the guy.  At later levels you can use Planstrider Boots to teleport-to and then away, also gaining invis if you go Evermeet.

@Sceptile: I took a look at Avenger powers while in the Compendium, and there just didn't seem to be that many that teleported you to the target.  It was about the same ratio as the Warlock (about 50/50), however the Warlock has the added benefit of reliable teleportation movement, concealment, necrotic damage (or cold/necrotic damage), and meshes well with the Swordmage.

Avengers also mesh very well with Swordmage, probably even better. That barely even counts as a plus because Swordmages are one of the easiest classes to hybrid. Avengers have a sizeable number of teleportation powers, not at-will teleport but teleports mixed into their attacks. They have an easier time doing necrotic damage than Warlocks due to Painful Oath. And they're actually strikers, whereas a Warlock|Swordmage may have some issues on that score.

In a general sense, your description in the first post is a dead ringer for the 'Ninja Avenger' style, which is not exactly optimized but is a simple and direct route to your goal.
This works out very well
Invisible Stalker

Your marked target shifts away from you, you teleport next to 2 targets and become invisible to them, and then you hit the marked target with an MBA for provoking an opportunity attack, then Lightning Rushes the target invisible to it to smack it for leaving in the first place.
the Darth Vader SM|Lock build seems to suit things the most here.  I've kinda wanted to test that build out for myself at some point, so I might be biased.  Beyond that I can't say much as 1) Refluffling exists and 2) you don't have a build up.
Currently working on making a Dex based defender. Check it out here
Show
Need a few pre-generated characters for a one-shot you are running? Want to get a baseline for what an effective build for a class you aren't familiar with? Check out the Pregen thread here If ever you are interested what it sounds like to be at my table check out my blog and podcast here Also, I've recently done an episode on "Refluffing". You can check that out here
This build isn't very damage focused, more solid control.

Shadar-Kai Assassin can use Shadow Jaunt 2/enc with Darkness's Wings, if you Hybrid (you'll need to Hybrid Talent to get Shade Form back) with a class that has a lot of good Bursts/Blasts you can use the Dread/Doom/Drowning feats to add considerable Control for 2 rounds. Add in a Psionic Class and access to Power Points (Noble Adept or Escaped Thrall themes and any Psionic MC feat, the Awakened Potential MC feat (there's a Paragon ring that lets you recover this Power Point), or any Ardent/Battlemind/Psion MC feat and then the Psionic Dabbler power-swap feat) and Darkening Mind increases that to a potential 4 rounds.

You'll notice this takes a minimum of 6 feats for the full Package if your other Hybrid is a Psionic Class and your Theme if you chose Monk, up to a maximum of 8 (adding a MC Feat and Psionic Dabbler); 3 feats minimum for the trick to be combat relevant regardless of class choice (Hybrid Talent, Darkness's Wings, and one of the 3 other feats), but when you consider the gain of a 2nd Shadow Jaunt and 2 rounds of added control (and they're all control types that stack well) it's worth the feat costs post-taxes. For my money, Cleric or Warlock will make the best Hybrid for this because you can salvage your AC with Battle Cleric's Lore or Curse stuff, they both get some solid damage/control multi-target powers as well as good Paragon Paths; Invoker or Ranger are likely the next best choice because they both have stupidly good control and damage powers, respectively, unless you're looking at late Paragon (in which case going Psionic, particularly Monk which has Stat synergy, will let you use the full Package pre-Epic).

My main LFR Character is a Shadar-Kai Nethermancer|Renegade Red Wizard of Thay, MC Cleric of Kelemvor/Divine Oracle, that uses the Planeshaper ED to gain a 2nd use of Shadow Jaunt and 2 of the feats to add Prone, Slide, and -2 Hit to an Epic Wizard's considerable arsenal. Of course, at my level, being a Tiefling would be better (lol Dominate), but I hate that race.

It's worth noting that the Compendium and Character Builder both have the wrong wording for Dread of Sakkors, it does actually require you to be insubstantil due to Shadow Jaunt, just like the other two feats.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
Is there a way to make a 'Ninja' Pursuit Avenger that can be reliably hidden from his OoE target, causing it to move away in search of another target?

I'm picturing an Avenger|SM that is hidden, making the target move away, granting the damage bonus, who then attacks an ally, triggering the Assault Aegis, so that I teleport in and strike with the Avenger at-will that can be used as a MBA with the OoE bonus damage.  Only thing I can't figure out is how to reliably be hidden.

Gaining concealment is easy, but being able to stealth with just regular concealment is a lot harder.  I know a lot about making perma-stealth builds, but not without being some Rogue variant.     
Sig
Original CharOpper
Is there a way to make a 'Ninja' Pursuit Avenger that can be reliably hidden from his OoE target, causing it to move away in search of another target?

I'm picturing an Avenger|SM that is hidden, making the target move away, granting the damage bonus, who then attacks an ally, triggering the Assault Aegis, so that I teleport in and strike with the Avenger at-will that can be used as a MBA with the OoE bonus damage.  Only thing I can't figure out is how to reliably be hidden.

Gaining concealment is easy, but being able to stealth with just regular concealment is a lot harder.  I know a lot about making perma-stealth builds, but not without being some Rogue variant.     

Evermeet Warlock+Planestrider Boots+Ethereal Sidestep ought to do it...then you're consistently invisible to your OoE target. And Binder Initiate will give you full-blown Invisibility once per encounter.
Ok, I got a build together.  I just finished, so it probably still needs some tweaking.  Especially since I've never built an Avenger before, and this build isn't a fully-normal build anyway.

Build

Shadow, level 30
Revenant, Avenger/Swordmage, Evermeet Warlock, Twilight Tribune
Hybrid Avenger Option: Hybrid Avenger Fortitude
Swordmage Aegis (Hybrid) Option: Aegis of Assault
Binding Initiate Option: Binding Initiate (Star Pact)
Hybrid Talent Option: Avenger's Censure (Hybrid)
Avenger's Censure Option: Censure of Pursuit
Choose your Race in Life: Shade
Scion of Shadow (+2 to Stealth)
Theme: Scion of Shadow

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 12, CON 15, DEX 24, INT 12, WIS 28, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 11, DEX 14, INT 10, WIS 18, CHA 8

AC: 40 Fort: 38 Ref: 38 Will: 45
HP: 203 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 50

TRAINED SKILLS
Insight +35, Perception +35, Stealth +43, Thievery +28

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +22, Arcana +16, Athletics +16, Bluff +17, Diplomacy +15, Dungeoneering +24, Endurance +19, Heal +24, History +16, Intimidate +17, Nature +24, Religion +16, Streetwise +15

POWERS
Scion of Shadow Utility: Eyes of Night
Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping
Avenger Feature: Oath of Enmity
Swordmage Feature: Aegis of Assault
Warlock Utility: Hidden Lore
Warlock Attack: Mind Shadows
Shade Utility: One with Shadow
Avenger Attack 1: Overwhelming Strike
Swordmage Attack 1: Luring Strike
Scion of Shadow Utility 2: Flitting Shadow
Swordmage Attack 3: Dual Lightning Strike
Avenger Attack 3: Fury's Advance
Stealth Utility 6: Shrouding Gloom
Avenger Attack 9: Temple of Shadow
Warlock Utility 10: Ethereal Sidestep
Evermeet Warlock Attack 11: Blinding Beacon
Evermeet Warlock Utility 12: Feylights
Stealth Utility 16: Deepening Gloom
Evermeet Warlock Attack 20: Moonflower Inspiration
Swordmage Utility 22: Oni's Gift
Avenger Attack 23: Phase Duel
Swordmage Attack 25: Quicksilver Blade
Twilight Tribune Utility 26: Tribune's Authority
Avenger Attack 27: Inevitable End
Avenger Attack 29: Merciless Nemesis

FEATS
Level 1: Power of Skill
Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Gouge)
Level 4: Deadly Draw
Level 6: Spear Expertise
Level 8: Binding Initiate
Level 10: Acolyte Power
Level 11: Painful Oath
Level 12: Hybrid Talent
Level 14: Reserve Maneuver
Level 16: Superior Will
Level 18: Past Soul
Level 20: Disciple of Death
Level 21: Ghostly Vitality
Level 22: Hand of Divine Guidance
Level 24: Divine Mastery
Level 26: Superior Fortitude
Level 28: Cleaving Axe
Level 30: Secret Stride

ITEMS
Rending Gouge +6
Shadowflow Starweave Armor +6
Iron Armbands of Power (epic tier)
Lightstep Slippers
Gauntlets of Blood (epic tier)
Coif of Focus
Assassin's Cloak +6
Chameleon Ring
Ring of Khirad
Belt of Sonnlinor Righteousness (epic tier)
Backlash Tattoo

Sig
Original CharOpper
A Shade Ensnaring Swordmage is the way you want to go.

Seriously, that build is kind of a mess. Why Hybrid Swordmage if you get nothing out of it? You take a the HP/etc. hit for a Level 23 utility and half your attack powers will never hit? The Aegis can be nice for an occasional extra attack, but you're really not getting much value for hybriding.
You also need to spend HT on an AC boost.  I know you're partially relying on hiding, but every defense besides Will is really bad. Bursts will almost auto-hit you.
Yeah, Hybridding swordmage and not going WIS/INT when both classes (IIRC for Swordmages) have WIS/INT builds is just not sensible.  You can get stealth 1/enc by grabbing the Chamaeleon's Mask cantrip (be a fey race, take Fey Cantrip, done).  Permahidden is difficult to work, and this build will do it, but so would the pure Avenger, so I'm not sure what you get out of Swordmage, except 1/3 of your attack powers missing.

I'd guess that a SM|Venger could be a fairly strong hybrid.  This one isn't.  There's a lot of fluff and not too much op here.

But props for posting a build at least =)
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
A Shade Ensnaring Swordmage is the way you want to go.

Not sure if serious ...
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.

Completely Not

Though flavor-wise it would fit well and be about as pointless as the build posted but more straight-forward.

I tried to minimize the number of useless power as much as possible.  The Swordmage daily is a stance that gives 1/rd minor MBA, and the Swordmage encounter can be swapped out for the Avengers minor action attack at 3rd level, using Reserve Maneuver.

I didn't go the Wis/Int route, because I was trying to minimize the number of Swordmage powers anyway, and by going Wis/Dex, I can get the damage boost and other Dex-based goodies from the Pursuit powers.

Hybriding gets me the immediate attack for ignoring my aegis, and it was pointed out to me several times that an Avenger hybriding with a Swordmage was a good combination.

As for defenses, true they are low.  As you said, I will rely mostly on not being seen in the first place.  But I'm also not too worried about getting injured, since I'm a Revenant with some of the key Revenant support package included.

I assume all of that was taken into account already though, when everyone decided the build was garbage.

Sounds like everyone main suggestion is to completely drop Swordmage and go straight Avenger.

Other than that, what are some of the "flavor" elements you would drop, and what "Op" elements would you take in their place?   
Sig
Original CharOpper