Discard and exile

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
ok so say I am playing an exile target creature card on someone can they activate their abilities first? I played Oblivion Ring against my oppanent and he said he could tap his card and pay the cost to make me discard 2 cards first. I didnt know he could do that..was he right or me
of course
players can respond to triggers
proud member of the 2011 community team
May I suggest you try reading the Basic Rulebook?

To me, this comes across as being sarcastic. The original poster has 12 postings and just joined the forums a few months ago. What do you think this sort of response does to welcome new players to the game?

How about: "This is explained on pp. 10-12 of the Basic Rulebook"

To me, this comes across as being sarcastic. The original poster has 12 postings and just joined the forums a few months ago. What do you think this sort of response does to welcome new players to the game?

How about: "This is explained on pp. 10-12 of the Basic Rulebook"

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic (for once!), but I can see why it may appear that way. I'll do better next time!

«Canada has a passive-agressive culture, with a lot of sarcasm and rightousness.»
                                             Alanis Morissette

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic (for once!), but I can see why it may appear that way. I'll do better next time!

My apologies: I did consider that it might be a genuine recommendation, but still feel it may easily be perceived as sarcastic, which was my initial reaction.
like Alanis Morissette knows anything or can speak for Canadians...

wait...

I think I just proved her point... 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

isn't it ironic?
I didnt know there was an actual book. I knew there was that foldout paper that came in deck builders toolkits as for a book I didnt know I had been googling alot and asking otherwise here I didnt mean to come across as stupid or wasteing time...
no worries, ask any question you have, we will try and help

reading the rules book first just helps YOU not wasting YOUR time ;)
I didnt know there was an actual book. I knew there was that foldout paper that came in deck builders toolkits as for a book I didnt know I had been googling alot and asking otherwise here I didnt mean to come across as stupid or wasteing time...

The book exists in paper format too. Check with your local store: They often have free copes to give out. It does a very good job of describing the different actions, responses, and how they resolve, with diagrams and examples.

@Hreth: Any paper copy of the rules quickly becomes obsolete: Wizards of the Coast change some rules at least twice a year...

@poptart2.0: you cannot possibly waste anyone's time here because we all come and go on a voluntary basis. Those providing answers do so because they wish to.

my local store does not have the book they jsut have cards and they cannot tell you what cards you have to go and sort through thousands yourself... all for 5 cents a piece from unglued to ravinica.. they have 2 box sets and thats it.. not much of a magic shop lol but I did find it online and began reading it..

ok so say I am playing an exile target creature card on someone can they activate their abilities first? I played Oblivion Ring against my oppanent and he said he could tap his card and pay the cost to make me discard 2 cards first. I didn't know he could do that..was he right or me

One thing specific to your situation is that although activated abilities can usually be activated any time you could cast an instant (e.g., in response to other spells/abilities), discard abilities like the one you describe usually have an additional timing restriction written in their text.  For a variety of example timing restrictions, take a look at Cao Cao, Ghost-Lit Stalker, and Augur of Skulls.  Double check the text on your friend's card, because activating that ability in response to your Oblivion Ring might actually be illegal in this case.