Griffin-Walkers

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

No SB yet. Just built it today and played quite a few games without SB. SB would probably include 2 or 3 Sever the Bloodline, 1x Supreme Verdict, 1x Terminus, 2x Knight of Glory, 2x Knight of Infamy and other ones I don't know yet.

Grind into late game. Shut down all the snaps and all the zombies and all the Unburial Rites. Supreme Verdict when needed. Play Rewinds and Angel/Inspiration on the same turn. Watch as griffins and planeswalkers just take over the game.

Good Times

Thinking about taking out Augers. I seem to whiff a lot which makes sense looking at the spell counts. Rewind is being as awesome as I imagined it. I love rewinding and inspiration on the same turn.
After playing with the deck a little... I realize that it has a week game against mid-range unless i draw a sweeper. In which case, I'll probably have 1x Supreme Verdict and 1 Terminus like I planned originally.

Deck has a very strong game against zombies if RiP resolves like I thought it would be. Otherwise, it can be iffy.

Against control, the misthollow griffins are fantastic. They simply cannot deal with it without Terminus. RiP turns off Angel of Serenity and Snapcaster and because of that shuts off a lot of their gas.

Also, I realize now that Sorin's and Tamiyo's abilities ultimates don't work very well with RiP. Just as well... they are simply there to stall them out and Sorin can easily kill people if left unchecked.
Can you put [deck] and [/deck] tags around your deck list?
I don't like Augur of Bolas in this list with only 14 targets.  You are going to whiff quite a lot.  I would generally like to be pushing at least 20 targets before I play him.

Jace, Memory Adept is most certainly a SB card.  I get that it helps enable your griffin plan, but only if you find your RIP.  Since you're not running a way to recycle your library you also run the risk of milling yourself out.  If you want to have more options I would consider maybe upping the land count to add 2 Nephalia Drownyard.  This still enables some self mill while having a way to win grindy control matchups.  Pretty much nobody is running Ghost Quarter so it's also a lot harder to stop.

3 DSphere and 1 ORing is probably a bit heavy in the MD.  I don't even think you need the ORing.  I know it works well as an answer to your opponent's DSpheres but from personal experience it hardly ever comes up.  I would at least take out the ORing and maybe even one Dsphere for a bit more early counterspell action like Dissipate or even another Sorin, Lord of Innistrad.

Why Moorland Haunt?  You run almost no creatures to begin with, and it doesn't work if you stick RiP.  Most of the time this will just be a land that produces .

Also now that I'm look at it more closely I think the Rewinds should really just be Dissipates.  Very rarely will you rewind and also have another play on their turn.  Dissipate costs less and the exile is relevant for those times where you don't have an RiP in play.

So in summary with this setup these are probably the changes I would consider making...

-2 Rewind
-1 Oblivion Ring
-1 Detention Sphere
-1 Jace, Memory Adept
-1 Moorland Haunt

+2 Dissipate
+1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
+2 Nephalia Drownyard
+1 Flex Slot  (another counter, maybe a singleton Sever...or heck maybe just keep a Rewind since you're a little light on counterspells and you do have some followup plays with it)
i'd say either cut the PWs plan or cut the permission.  PWs aren't super strong in this format, you're probably better off with more spells.

think twice >>>> inspiration.  having something to help hit early lands is a good thing.  probably want at least another land, as well.  i'd consider running a miser vault of the archangel for racing and helps turn griffin into an overcosted removal spell in a pinch.....   actually, you might just want nephalia drownyard instead.  the moorland haunt is pretty bad in this deck, i'd think.  drownayrd and vault seem better... i think.

but yea, cut the PWs for more spells that draw cards or do things, letting you max out on augur's vaule.  since you have black as well, consider a few ultimate prices to help with rakdos and GW aggro.

your countermagic suite can be fixed to be "better"       

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

I don't like Augur of Bolas in this list with only 14 targets.  You are going to whiff quite a lot.  I would generally like to be pushing at least 20 targets before I play him.

Yea, that is what I'm finding. I think I've resolved to cut both and add one land. If you look, I'm currently 61 so this will work out perfectly. I often find that my lands will CiPT unless I have a Hallowed Fountain so adding another basic land is good.

Jace, Memory Adept is most certainly a SB card.  I get that it helps enable your griffin plan, but only if you find your RIP.  Since you're not running a way to recycle your library you also run the risk of milling yourself out.  If you want to have more options I would consider maybe upping the land count to add 2 Nephalia Drownyard.  This still enables some self mill while having a way to win grindy control matchups.  Pretty much nobody is running Ghost Quarter so it's also a lot harder to stop.

I'm not attempting to self-mill myself. In actuality, I really like Memory Adept as drawing an extra card a turn is nice and it's in a nice alternate win package in case my griffins get terminused.

Now about Drownyard...
I have argued with my friend quite a bit about this, but I don't think drownyard is worth it here. Essentially, it gives you inevitability right? Well, I already have inevitability with the Griffins and the RiP and the griffins are faster. Adding a basic land I feel is a lot better as I have a lot of checklands that have been entering play as tapped. I honestly feel Moorland Haunt does more as it acts as RiP #4 while still producing mana if I find a regular RiP (which is why I only run 3x Peace).

3 DSphere and 1 ORing is probably a bit heavy in the MD.  I don't even think you need the ORing.  I know it works well as an answer to your opponent's DSpheres but from personal experience it hardly ever comes up.  I would at least take out the ORing and maybe even one Dsphere for a bit more early counterspell action like Dissipate or even another Sorin, Lord of Innistrad.

This is pretty interesting, but I do recall generally having an extra D-Sphere in hand a lot of the time. Another Dissipate sounds like a good idea.
Why Moorland Haunt?  You run almost no creatures to begin with, and it doesn't work if you stick RiP.  Most of the time this will just be a land that produces .

This is for when I can't find RiP until late which has happened. While it does happen that I lose the ability once I find RiP, the fact that it is still a land that produces mana is still good enough. Remember, I'm only playing 3x RiP so not finding one can happen. This helps me get some griffin action without drawing it while providing chump blocks.
Also now that I'm look at it more closely I think the Rewinds should really just be Dissipates.  Very rarely will you rewind and also have another play on their turn.  Dissipate costs less and the exile is relevant for those times where you don't have an RiP in play.

You'd be surprised how often I go rewind into Inspiration/Restoration Angel. It helps quite a bit as it allows me to catch up in tempo which this deck can lose.
So in summary with this setup these are probably the changes I would consider making...

-2 Rewind
-1 Oblivion Ring
-1 Detention Sphere
-1 Jace, Memory Adept
-1 Moorland Haunt

+2 Dissipate
+1 Sorin, Lord of Innistrad
+2 Nephalia Drownyard
+1 Flex Slot  (another counter, maybe a singleton Sever...or heck maybe just keep a Rewind since you're a little light on counterspells and you do have some followup plays with it)

I like taking out an Oblivion Ring and a Detention Sphere. I could move them SB and put in Dissipates. The rest of the changes I don't really like other than taking out Memory Adept for another Sorin. Actually... I might do that.
Sign In to post comments