The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan 4E Adaptation In Dungeon!

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dungeon 208 announce next Dungeon's Table of Content that we will get Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, an adventure originally given as a DM reward in Organized Play. I can't wait to see this adaptation !

The Hidden Shrine of TamoachanBy Stephen Radney-MacFarland
Lost Tamoachan is about to be rediscovered. This 4th
Edition adaptation of the original AD&D® module by
Harold Johnson & Jeff R. Leason was previously available
only as a DM Reward adventure through the
Wizards’ Organized Play Program. Now it’s available
to D&D Insider™ subscribers! A classic D&D adventure

for 7th-level characters.

Previous articles on this adventure, for those interested: 

D&D Alumni: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Design & Development: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Well WoTC_Greg gave a good news on Twitter:   (YAY!)

Greg BilslandGreg Bilsland
It's appearing next month in Dungeon. The first of several organized play releases.

Yan
Montréal, Canada

This is a great adaptation. I was lucky enough to get a physical copy which comes with a really nice map. I hope the online version includes all of the great art. Thanks WotC and I'm looking forward to getting online versions of Village of Hommlet, Tomb of Horrors, and some of the others. Adventure extensions for each of these would be a great way of adding some extra value to the magazine.
... I was lucky enough to get a physical copy ...

Wow!  I didn't even know that they still do that!!  Is that a perk for being a playtestor, or working for the company, or something?  Or, am I just totally out of the loop, and they've put it into print again?

Icarus,

Hey bro! It was a perk for DMs who ran sessions of a specific D&D Encoutners season. I made sure all my DMs (including myself and my wife) got a copy. It is very nice. I also have copies of Village of Hommlet and Tomb of Horrors that were DM rewards in past years.

Hope that helps,

Bryan "Saracenus" Blumklotz
Has anyone run the 4e Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan version?  I'm thinking of running it during the in-between month of Jan 2013 when there's no Encounters season at our FLGS, and was looking for tips.  Message me (or respond to my recently-created thread on the topic, link below).  Thanks.

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Check out my listing of all the 5E Druid wild-shape forms (well, all the publicly available ones, that is)

Also, read my thoughts on Acts Of Geek and listen to me on the D&D Round Table  

Also, come play Encounters with me Wednesday nights in western Massachusetts at Modern Myths

I am so freaking pumped for Organized Play releases in Dungeon!!!

It's also a great way for you to save time, energy, and money, since you've already written these adventures. ;)

Before posting, why not ask yourself, What Would Wrecan Say?

IMAGE(http://images.onesite.com/community.wizards.com/user/marandahir/thumb/9ac5d970f3a59330212c73baffe4c556.png?v=90000)

A great man once said "If WotC put out boxes full of free money there'd still be people complaining about how it's folded." – Boraxe

The printed one they gave out to organized play DMs is pretty brutal... very much a tournament-style adventure, with little story and lots of death.  It's also 44 pages long, so I'd guess they won't be reprinting the whole thing.  Maybe they'll do a toned-down version in this month's Dungeon (which'd be ideal for my Encounters plan).

Check out my listing of all the 5E Druid wild-shape forms (well, all the publicly available ones, that is)

Also, read my thoughts on Acts Of Geek and listen to me on the D&D Round Table  

Also, come play Encounters with me Wednesday nights in western Massachusetts at Modern Myths

The printed one they gave out to organized play DMs is pretty brutal... very much a tournament-style adventure, with little story and lots of death.  It's also 44 pages long, so I'd guess they won't be reprinting the whole thing.  Maybe they'll do a toned-down version in this month's Dungeon (which'd be ideal for my Encounters plan).

Remember that the original version was an absolute meat grinder that was meant to be run at large conventions where the goal was to see how far you could get through it, not even really finish it. I think this version is a faithful reproduction of the original, which means that if you plan to run this at your store make sure you tell everyone it'll be more like Lair Assault and less like Encounters. You don't want anyone writing a 4 page backstory for a character that might not make it out of the first fight. I'd make sure to have a stack of spare characters on hand in case you TPK them early on.

I'm also very curious to see how they condense a really big adventure into Dungeon magazine. As JoeyLast said, this one is a hefty tome compared to what we've been getting lately for Encounters. 
i would guess that the way dungeon is laid out and formatted with three columns is going to shrink the page count a lot. regardless, im sure it will be complete, even if it takes the full 44 pages. its not like theres a cap, or that they have to print these or something.
Icarus,

Hey bro! It was a perk for DMs who ran sessions of a specific D&D Encoutners season. I made sure all my DMs (including myself and my wife) got a copy. It is very nice. I also have copies of Village of Hommlet and Tomb of Horrors that were DM rewards in past years.

Hope that helps,

Bryan "Saracenus" Blumklotz

Hey there, Saracenus!  Thanks for the info!  I'm kind of leaning towards trying out the new-again PDFs of Dragon and Dungeon magazines ... I guess if I got into the game again, I'd know.  
I've even laid off playing Pathfinder and WoW now.  Sadness.  I need to find a game, man! 
Pretty good adventure and had amazing maps !

Well done sirs  

Yan
Montréal, Canada